Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 07:13 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Why watch this one when you could watch the original? This one is 2hr15 min. The original is 83min. Gci sea creatures singing under the sea fills my imagination with nightmares.

I'm not sure why they would remake this this way.

They aren't really live action they are cartoons just digitally animated.

I was born in the 80s I grew up watching all the old Disney movies and for a good chunk of my childhood they were making a new one ever year. My favorite was Aladdin.
I feel like this is the expanded version of the original. The only thing that was missing was the fling between Sebastian and the french chef who took pride in seafood culinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 08:07 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I could be wrong.
Exactly my point.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:44 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
This re-imaged live action theme has critics and audience with rave reviews in its premieres.
Eh, no it doesn't.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:42 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I dunno. All the mermaids I have ever seen, although it has usually been from a distance, have appeared to be white.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:50 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I feel like this is the expanded version of the original. The only thing that was missing was the fling between Sebastian and the french chef who took pride in seafood culinary.
I'll definitely watch it when it's out of the theater I was a fan of the original back when I was a boy. I liked all of the movies and stories about mermaids and the like.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:52 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I dunno. All the mermaids I have ever seen, although it has usually been from a distance, have appeared to be white.
Mermaids were really manatees and dogongs, the ones I've seen are a grayish color.

Lol

Old 05-30-2023, 09:22 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I immediately dismiss any criticism from anyone who isn't going to see the movie. They're only drawing conclusions based on the skin color of the main character. Apparently all mermaids are white and anything else is OUTRAGEOUS!!
It's true they're often drawing conclusions from the skin color of the main character. That's because when there's such an obvious and gratuitous "race-swap" of a main character -- irrespective of whether it affects the context of the story in any way -- you can be sure the rest of the film has been clumsily adapted for the "modern audience."

Old 05-30-2023, 10:21 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
-- you can be sure the rest of the film has been clumsily adapted for the "modern audience."
That seems to be a big problem with all Disney movies and TV shows lately. The problem is that they aren't making movies for the "modern audience" (whatever that is). They are making movies for a few hundred outspoken Twitter users. And the sad fact is: They just aren't very good at it. They are so obsessed with "The Message" that they are neglecting things like story, sense, and quality filmmaking.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:25 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It's true they're often drawing conclusions from the skin color of the main character. That's because when there's such an obvious and gratuitous "race-swap" of a main character -- irrespective of whether it affects the context of the story in any way -- you can be sure the rest of the film has been clumsily adapted for the "modern audience."

Have you seen the movie? Because that assumption would be incorrect.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:29 AM

80 posts, read 437,924 times
I can't help but judge people who pay to see these Disney remakes as the ultimate consumers.

It's a pretty cynical ploy by Disney. Baiting Gen X and Millennial adults with nostalgia so that they will take their kids to relive their childhood with them while indoctrinating them with Hollywood propaganda.

They did it successfully with Marvel. They tried to do it with Star Wars, but failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies