Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2023, 12:42 PM

1,548 posts, read 871,971 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWqxHhSS218
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 01:48 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I'll wait for the streaming release. I like Jason Mamoa alot, but the first Aqua-flick was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I would rather rewatch Shaq's STEEL movie than sit through AQUAMAN again.

Old 12-21-2023, 02:47 PM

502 posts, read 198,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'll wait for the streaming release. I like Jason Mamoa alot, but the first Aqua-flick was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I would rather rewatch Shaq's STEEL movie than sit through AQUAMAN again.
It's definitely better than a handful of Marvel's, and that last X-Men, and those recent Star Wars "episodes."

Come to think of it, The Rise of Skywalker is certainly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Old 12-24-2023, 06:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 871,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I loved Aquaman a lot, in fact it's the number 3 film for me all-time. Lost kingdom however failed to live up to expectations. In the end all good characters lived even though I thought some of them would die as indicated by the trailers. The box office reflects it's woes and cannot live up to it's predecessor.

Old 12-24-2023, 11:38 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Most modern media productions are low on story and high on junque video - jump cuts - shaky cam - moving camera. More nauseating than entertaining. ("Ugly Radio")

Furthermore, they forget that most prefer entertainment where you can identify with the characters, vicariously enjoy their exploits, and not be repelled / disgusted / annoyed by them.

No doubt, they're following the recipe for "good" story telling, hitting their marks. But their stories are meh. The formula is hackneyed : _ establish the "good guy" (he saved the cat!) _ create the conflict (without conflict, no drama) _ throw every trope and cliche into the mixer, and pull out something "new" _ come to a mini-climax | tension _ resolution _ wash & repeat _ final climax | tension release.

One recent movie that seemed to be way outside the rule book : The Happytime Murders (2018).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1308728/
Brian Hensen goes "blue" with Muppet characters and gets an "R" rating.
"NO SESAME - ALL STREET!"
(Sesame Street did sue them, but lost)

I actually laughed a lot more than I expected. Some scenes are NOT family friendly. . . especially the one with Silly String. (You'll know it, when you see it) The opening music was diabolically clever, too. I almost could swear they were punking Sesame Street.
Unfortunately, it tanked at the Box Office. Some folks can't deal with "R" rated Muppets. Enjoy a viewing this holiday... but keep it from the kiddies.
Phil Philips: [getting beaten on by two inmates] You know I have no bones, right? You're basically fluffing a pillow here.

Old 12-25-2023, 06:18 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
I think it was okay, but after a string of just okay movies from the genre everyone is projecting box office death. The biggest problem is that I sat saying to myself, you ripped that from Star Wars, that from Black Panther, that from Iron Man...

I saw it in a plain format but it still looked better than Black Panther 2. After all the non human deaths I was surprised when people and speaking characters started dying.

Under my old three tier rating system it would be in the middle. I would watch again it if it rotated onto free TV and I had nothing better to do at the time.

Old 12-25-2023, 06:50 PM

1,140 posts, read 617,266 times
I found the 1st Aquaman so boring that I fell asleep before it hit halfway and never finished it.

I find a lot of the superhero movies have truly been ho hum. As someone stated, the same tropes and no real feelings for the characters.

I will probably give Aquaman deux a try eventually. This time I will make sure I drank a strong cup of java beforehand

Old 12-25-2023, 09:13 PM

735 posts, read 1,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I found the 1st Aquaman so boring that I fell asleep before it hit halfway and never finished it.

I find a lot of the superhero movies have truly been ho hum. As someone stated, the same tropes and no real feelings for the characters.

I will probably give Aquaman deux a try eventually. This time I will make sure I drank a strong cup of java beforehand
I saw the first Aquaman in 2018. It was alright, but dry in some spots [excuse the pun].

I saw the sequel yesterday it was better than I thought it was going to be- they did throw a lot at the audience plot-wise. It was in the same vein as the first film, just bigger. It was also the swan song of the Synderverse.

I liked Shazam 2, The Flash was MEH, [Grant Gustin of the CW FLASH TV series is the better Flash] I liked Blue Beetle and I liked Aquaman 2. But all of these films this year have bombed.

Going forward the DC cinematic universe is being rebooted under James Gunn. Will anyone show up for new universe or will DC stand for don't care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies