U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,155,864 times

Advertisements

The English Patient. Mystery to me how that movie was thought to be the best picture that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,917,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The English Patient. Mystery to me how that movie was thought to be the best picture that year.
For those who want to scan the list
Academy Award Winners - Best Picture on Lists of Bests

I wonder how many are familiar with the earlier Oscar movies.
I have "Best Years of Our Lives", "Marty", and "Mrs. Miniver" in my movie collection. Those are viewed more often in my house than modern movies.

Movies that are mystifying, IMO, in their achievement of Best Picture:
Titanic? Yeesh, perhaps for cinematography
Braveheart? Mel Gibson is right up there with Kevin Costner in making bloated, self-aggrandizing movies
Shakespeare in Love - Gwyneth Paltrow. Someone pass me the barf bucket.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,336,049 times
The Greatest Show on Earth. Well it did have Gloria Grahame (hubba-hubba) but that's about it.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:24 AM

17,493 posts, read 26,688,678 times
Platoon? Are you kidding me? Full Metal Jacket was so much better than that flick, if that's the way you want to go. Full Metal Jacket had real potential, but the second half of the flick didn't quite push it over the top.

I agree with The Sting, Cuckoo's Nest, Silence of the Lambs, Crash, Forrest Gump, ...

American Beauty? An ok flick and all, but weird for sure. Gladiator AND A Beautiful Mind? Why the fascination with Crowe? Were we getting sick of Gibson? Oh right, I guess so. Rain Man? Vanilla Sky and Born on the Fourth of July are the only flicks from Tom Cruise that seem even noteworthy. Oh, it must have been Dustin that carried the latter.

Shakespear in Love and English Patient, never saw it.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 AM

466 posts, read 1,536,833 times
Gladiator is one that I don't think deserved the Oscar. It was ok, but I never thought it was best picture material. I completely agree with the other poster that Shakespeare in Love was a joke of a best picture.

silverwing: Yes: Best Years of our Lives is one of my favorite movies.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 AM

20,004 posts, read 76,243,200 times
Shakespeare In Love -- WTH!?!?!?!?!? I vowed to never again watch the Oscars after that beat out Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture. And know what? Neither me or my friends have watched it since!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,626,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
i was going to name The English Patient too, but you beat me to it. I remember one episode of Seinfeld where Elaine (a character in Seinfeld) was literally pulling her hair out while she was forced to watch the movie by her boss and in her frustration she yelled at the movie screen "Why don't you stop telling stories and just die already!!"
Exactly how I feel about the movie.

I have never watched another of Minghella's movie ever since and never will.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,330,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The Greatest Show on Earth. Well it did have Gloria Grahame (hubba-hubba) but that's about it.
Gloira Grahame.....what a beauty.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM

13,394 posts, read 44,419,825 times
Wow.
I loved The English Patient--I liked it better than the book. Minghella, IMHO, was a masterful directer.
Shakespeare in Love, so literate yet so funny, is one of my most favorite movies, with its countless inside jokes, the play within a play, and the soundtrack. Comedy usually does not get the credit it deserves, and I was actually surprised to see SIP win. Epics are always supposed to win Oscars, not comedies. Everyone loves to hate SIP because of Spielberg's epic Saving Private Ryan (the best thing about that movie, IMHO, was the beginning).

I never saw what the big deal was about Forrest Gump.
But then, it was another epic.
My vote that year would have gone to Pulp Fiction.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,336,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Shakespeare in Love, so literate yet so funny, is one of my most favorite movies, with its countless inside jokes, the play within a play, and the soundtrack. Comedy usually does not get the credit it deserves, and I was actually surprised to see SIP win. Epics are always supposed to win Oscars, not comedies. Everyone loves to hate SIP because of Spielberg's epic Saving Private Ryan (the best thing about that movie, IMHO, was the beginning).

I never saw what the big deal was about Forrest Gump.
But then, it was another epic.
My vote that year would have gone to Pulp Fiction.

You are right on the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies