Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 PM

96 posts, read 258,280 times

Advertisements

Barbara Stanwcyk was an excellent actress. IMO she would be in the top ten list of actresses of all time. So many movies, Double Indemnity, Meet John Doe, Stella Dallas, Sorry Wrong Number. I grew up watching her on TV in the Big Valley, loved that show. Thank God for TCM, its the only reason I don't cancel my cable subscription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Speaking of smokin' her best scenes in Jeopardy (1953) are with Ralph Meeker.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Speaking of smokin' her best scenes in Jeopardy (1953) are with Ralph Meeker.
"That's good perfume you got on ya."
"Yes."
"I like cheap perfume. It doesn't last as long, but it hits harder."

I know what you mean! That film is a gem that gets lost in the many movies she's done. I'm grateful to TCM for getting to see it.

Others of hers I'm partial to are:
Night Nurse (1931) - IMDb ~ with Clark Gable!
Sorry, Wrong Number (1948) - IMDb
The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) - IMDb
The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947) - IMDb
The Man with a Cloak (1951) - IMDb ~ Once the twist arrives, you might want what I did: to watch it again, this time for the clues. Dastardly IMDb gives it away in the cast listing! Shame on them!
The Night Walker (1964) - IMDb ~ I came across this William Castle production on YouTube and found that I enjoy it even more than when I saw it at the drive-in then later in my teen years.

T n w 1 - YouTube ~ complete film~sort of noir/horror

I agree that she is amazing in "The Thorn Birds"! When she's gazing admiringly at naked Richard Chamberlain... Oh my! They definitely are two people who looked nowhere near their age. What a fantastic role this provided for her!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
She did have an eye for a good looking man, having a long affair with Robert Wagner, but dont think she ever got over the lovely Robert Taylor... I loved her in Stella Dallas.. what a film and what a part she played...seems she was a very shy woman.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE58pA2aydw

Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,381 times
How stupid of me! I forgot to include my absolute favorite film of hers: "Stella Dallas"! I think I haven't been getting enough sleep, and my brain definitely isn't very functional at times, especially when fibrofog kicks in when the weather changes.

She is simply perfection in "Stella Dallas", and her scenes with Anne Shirley are so wonderful. They work together so beautifully, making us believe that her daughter never sees what her friends do when they look at the gaudily dressed woman. Laurel likes things "plain", but it's obvious that she thinks her mother is perfect. The scene in which they're lying down together on the train is just heartbreaking.

It was great to see her with Robert Taylor, still looking so handsome, in "The Night Walker". They elevate the film beyond its low-budget rank. It's actually quite inventive as a thriller that definitely edges over into horror. I had forgotten that Lloyd Bochner is in it; perhaps back when I first saw it, I knew only the "name" actors and was still learning about others.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I love the films from the 1940's and 1950's. remember watching them as a child w/my Mom who was a movie addict and loved learning about that era.

Tonight on TCM am watching "Clash by Night" which stars Stanwyck, Marilyn Monroe and Robert Ryan. (Also beautiful sets, in my favorite town, Monterey) Anyone else love these movies, and wish they made them (and the stars) like this today?
A very amusing film of hers is The Mad Miss Manton, a comedy murder mystery.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I love Barbara Stanwyck, but I've only seen two of her films (Christmas in Connecticut and Meet John Doe). I've been meaning to watch Stella Dallas but I haven'y gotten around to it; maybe this thread will remind me. One of the first things I noticed about Barbara Stanwyck is that her voice could somehow be utterly adorable and totally sexy at the same time. BEST VOICE EVER.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I adore Barbara Stanwyck.

And you might enjoy this:

LADY BE GOOD: A centenary season of Barbara Stanwyck.

A Critic at Large: Lady Be Good : The New Yorker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies