Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
Some of my favorites haven't been recommended yet:

The Matrix (trilogy)
A Beautiful Mind
As Good As It Gets
Clerks (or any Kevin Smith movie-except Mallrats)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Slingblade
This Boy's Life
Chicago
Moulin Rouge (some don't like it, but I loved it)
Austin Powers (trilogy; low-brow but hilarious)
Best in Show
Excellent choices all, Jennifer (I wasn't crazy about Chicago but I can be a tough sell with musicals.) Especially appreciate you choosing This Boy's Life and the underrated What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
If you like those two, I wonder if you've seen King of the Hill? (The movie, not the very excellent animated series.) Directed by Steven Soderbergh. Great cameo by the late Spalding Gray.
It takes place during the Depression, stars the then-unknown Jesse Bradford and Adrien Brody. A young boy is left to fend for himself while mom, dad and sib go elsewhere.
Gorgeously lit, beautifully shot, very atmospheric of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 04:14 PM

168 posts, read 907,598 times
Default Haven't seen it.

Thanks for the recommend, cil. I'll put it on my list.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,802 times
Default My Personal Favorite Movie of All Time

Would be "The Hustler" with Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, and Jackie Gleason.

"Play pool, Fast Eddie."

Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Great choice, Dedalus.
I've just realized that I am starting to sound like some crazy geeky obnoxious movie snob, and I would like to apologize for that.
I just really like movies.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Great choice, Dedalus.
I've just realized that I am starting to sound like some crazy geeky obnoxious movie snob, and I would like to apologize for that.
Oh, no, not at all. I agree with a lot of your picks, wholeheartedly. I also liked Empire of the Sun, the book by JG Ballard was good as well.

The movie critic I most often disagree with is Jeffrey Lyons. It seems like he never likes any movie unless it is about Yugoslavian Anarchist Sadomasochists, and has subtitles.

Last edited by Dedalus; 02-26-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Great choice, Dedalus.
I don't get that opinion at alllll. I think your knowledge of film, music and books is both deep and wide. I enjoy your contributions to these threads.

p.s. did you catch The Times' article on the Stooges this weekend?

oh and p.p.s. I thoroughly enjoyed Munich, and loved the cast/acting, but it gave me terrorist-nightmares. I'm wimpy.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:00 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,933 times
This is a little embarrasing, but I finally watched "Gone With The Wind" for the first time yesterday on TCM. All I can say is if I were Rhett Butler I would have had a few more choice words for Scarlett besides, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." She was an out an out bee-yotch!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I don't get that opinion at alllll. I think your knowledge of film, music and books is both deep and wide. I enjoy your contributions to these threads.

p.s. did you catch The Times' article on the Stooges this weekend?

oh and p.p.s. I thoroughly enjoyed Munich, and loved the cast/acting, but it gave me terrorist-nightmares. I'm wimpy.

Munich restored my faith in Steven Spielberg as a filmmaker.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
Quote:
Apology accepted!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
Amazing Grace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies