Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times

Advertisements

Rat race!
Batman Begins, Superman..... Spider-man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 03:07 AM

355 posts, read 842,592 times
So many great recommendations so far... Here are some of my favorites from the past 5 or 10 years.

Adaptation (Nick Cage, Meryl Streep)
Almost Famous (Patrick Fuget, Cameron Crowe)
American Beauty (Kevin Spacey)
City of God (Cidade de Deus)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Jim Carey, Kate Winslet)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Johnny Depp, Benicio del Toro)
Hotel Rwanda (Don Cheadle)
Life is Beautiful (Roberto Benigni, La Vita e' Bella)
Motorcycle Diaries (Gael Garcia Bernal, Diarios de Motocicleta)
Paradise Now (I second this rec)
Requiem for a Dream (Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly)
Royal Tenenbaums (Luke Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Gene Hackman)
Usual Suspects (Kevin Spacey)

Old 02-13-2007, 03:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Excellen choices, Amavel.
I didn't think that I would like Adaptation, but I was *so* wrong.

Here are some independent/foreign film choices:
These two movies are permanently on my list of ALL TIME FAVORITES:
Local Hero (Scottish) Peter Riegart, and Ewan McGregor's uncle, Denis Lawson
Quiet but quirky (quirky long before that quality became trendy)
A fish out of water tale, as a Texas oilman enters a small coastal village with the idea of possibly purchasing the town. The villagers are all too willing to sell out, but then the oilman falls in love with the town. Superb soundtrack by Mark Knopfler, great cameo by Burt Lancaster

Soldier of Orange
(Soldaat van Oranje) Dutch, a very young Rutger Hauer, directed by Paul Verhoeven
This is one of my very favorite films: it is a coming of age tale, a war story, and an interesting view of WWII from the perspective of the Dutch. It is a true story, and I even managed to track down an English version of the book.
This movie is funny, sad, romantic, epic.

Other faves:
Y Tu Mama Tambien (Mexico--directed by one of my faves, Alfonso Cuaron, who also directed A Little Princess and The Prisoner of Azkaban)
Coming of age tale. Spoiled-brat teenage boys go on road trip with lissome older woman

Ridicule
French
Rural nobleman goes to court in an attempt to help his lands and his villagers.
Petty court intrigues plague him, beautiful women seduce him, the pageantry and hypocrisy of court life is displayed in a most sardonic fashion.

L'Auberge Espagnole (French, other nationalities too)
Foreign exchange students from all over Europe live laugh love in Barcelona
Russian Dolls--Ten years later, foreign exchange students grow up
With Audrey Tatou and the most adorable Romain Duris

The Beat That My Heart Skipped (French) More Romain Duris!
A young man who is basically a gangster tries to return to an old passion: playing classical piano

Goodbye, Lenin The Berlin wall comes down while a young man's mother is in a coma, she awakens, but the shock could kill her, so he keeps communisim going for her--funny and bittersweet

Cache (French) Thriller, Juliet Binoche, who is always divine, and the very able Daniel Auteil
A complacent French couple becomes terrorized by a series of videotapes left here and there. Long-buried secrets are revealed.

Run Lola Run
(German) Lola must save the day. You will be on the edge of your seat watching her do just that, with multiple endings. Riveting.

Shallow Grave (UK) Funny Brit thriller full of surprises

Reservoir Dogs
My favorite Tarantino. Bloody good fun, crackling dialogue, great soundtrack

The Roddy Doyle Movies: The Committments, The Snapper, The Van
All funny, all good, all Irish.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Thanks, Iroquoispliskin.

Amavel, great recommendations. I just saw, "Life is Beautiful." What a splendid movie. I must admit I cried like a baby!

cil, I nominate you the movie critic of City-Data. What a feast for the eyes to see all these recommendations this morning.

Many thanks.!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:49 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
Now that I can see!

I can look at my movies

Narnia - if you like the type of action/adventure movie.

Toy Story 1 or 2 - I like this I just think it's funny.

Wrongfully Accused - Can't go wrong with Leslie Nielsen!

Mortal Kombat - It's an action fighter movie I like it.

MY Favorite Tarantino movie - Pulp Fiction

Starship Troopers 1 - It's a great cult fiction / horror movie. Just be careful there are a few parts that are not for young ones!

The Fifth Element - It's action, still a few parts not for the young ones.

The Mummy

The Bench warmers

Doom

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children - I just like Final Fantasy (it's a video game with an excellent story)

And

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Sean Connery is a great actor STILL!

Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,229 times
If you're up for a chick flick....this is one that will soften the heart of the manliest of men. The Notebook. I was shocked at how much I liked it...and even more shocked that my tough guy father did too.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:14 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,476 times
[quote=cil;361803]Some people thought Brokeback Mountain was too slow-moving, but I thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen, and the breathtaking Wyoming landscape didn't hurt either.[quote]

Oh my god, slow moving isn't even the word for it! Maybe barely moving? But in the end it was the most MOVING motion picture I've ever seen. I finally saw it a couple of weeks ago and it still brings this mysterious mist to my eyes when I think about it. (Men don't cry, you know - see quote below) The last 20-30 minutes of this movie makes all of the trying to stay awake worthwhile.

"There are only 3 movies boys are allowed to cry over:
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Brian's Song
3. Any movie with Cicely Tyson in it." -Bernie Mac

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; 02-13-2007 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: errors

Old 02-13-2007, 01:23 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,476 times
The Descent was too scary for me and I end up not seeing a lot of a movie like it because of eye-closing and head-turning...but it was actually an excellent movie with almost all of the horror part of it compacted into the last 30-45 minutes. The setting is the Smokey Mountains of N.C. and it is breathtaking. It's all really pretty until they go down in that cave...and in the end it leaves several possibilities as to what actually happened. I just watched again with a friend who had a totally different take on it that I hadn't considered - and his take was really the best one I had heard. It's definitely dark, and a good movie if you can take the creepy, horrible nature of it.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Thanks, a neighbour gave me that one last month and frankly, I did enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
If you're up for a chick flick....this is one that will soften the heart of the manliest of men. The Notebook. I was shocked at how much I liked it...and even more shocked that my tough guy father did too.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Yes, Brokeback Mountain was a masterpiece--in its unique way.

Thanks for the other recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Some people thought Brokeback Mountain was too slow-moving, but I thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen, and the breathtaking Wyoming landscape didn't hurt either.

Oh my god, slow moving isn't even the word for it! Maybe barely moving? But in the end it was the most MOVING motion picture I've ever seen. I finally saw it a couple of weeks ago and it still brings this mysterious mist to my eyes when I think about it. (Men don't cry, you know - see quote below) The last 20-30 minutes of this movie makes all of the trying to stay awake worthwhile.

"There are only 3 movies boys are allowed to cry over:
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Brian's Song
3. Any movie with Cicely Tyson in it." -Bernie Mac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies