Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times

Advertisements

What are the things they do in every move, that make you cringe?

Here are mine.

1. Everybody's phone number starts with 555
2. Everybody has perfect teeth, even hillbillies and homeless people.
3. Nobody watches the road---the driver looks at the passenger all the time when talking to her.
4. Phony highway signs: "San Francisco, 5 miles" in the middle of the desert.
5. Impossible bird sound Foleyed in for effect. Cactus Wrens in upstate New York. Minnesota Loons to make Louisiana swamps sound scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 PM

161 posts, read 370,826 times
Movies are FULL of clichés I'm tired of seeing...
like when a hot chick gets out of a car they show a close-up of the feet, then slowly move up the body. They do the same for bad guys too.
Horror movies are notorious for clichés. Scene: girl stands in front of bathroom mirror. Opens mirror. Closes mirror. Dark or scary figure is now behind girl in the reflection. Cue loud orchestra hit. Or sitting up in bed real fast and out of breath after a bad dream...

Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 PM

Oh, yes, mirrors. Actors always look in a mirror so they can see the camera, not themselves, in order to center their face in the screen from the viewpoint of the spectator.

People taking a walk to have a conversation. When it comes to the crucial part, they stop walking and face each other.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM

370 posts, read 1,017,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
1. Everybody's phone number starts with 555
2. Everybody has perfect teeth, even hillbillies and homeless people.
3. Nobody watches the road---the driver looks at the passenger all the time when talking to her.
4. Phony highway signs: "San Francisco, 5 miles" in the middle of the desert.
Yeah, if only movies could be just like real life, they would be so much more interesting and captivating. Not only that, but open the writers up for great storytelling ideas! Leaving room for groundbreaking plots

Quote:
5. Impossible bird sound Foleyed in for effect. Cactus Wrens in upstate New York. Minnesota Loons to make Louisiana swamps sound scary.

Yeah, doesn't that bird sound effect make you so mad?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM

638 posts, read 1,919,751 times
When people are on the phone and they always just hang up w/o saying bye or ending the conversation... Only in movies LOL

Old 12-12-2008, 08:00 PM

542 posts, read 1,100,314 times
This goes for tv shows too:
1. Why is it that whenever someone needs to read something important, all of sudden, they put glasses on. How is it that someone can go thru almost an entire movie or tv show w/no glasses on, but all of sudden, when they're reading, they have to put them on. As someone who where's glasses, I can tell you that I have to wear them ALL THE TIME (or contact lenses )
2. Why is it whenever someone is given a gift, instead of opening it, they always say, "what is this"? and the person has to tell them to open it. ANNOYING.
3. Why is it whenever a woman is grabbed by the arm by a man, she always has to say "you're hurting me". Really? Is he hurting you?

It's all so predictable.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 PM

My favorite lines from the '40s, on Turner Classic Movies:

"Listen here, see"

"Aw, gee, that's swell, fellas"

"He's mad, I tell you, mad"

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM

542 posts, read 1,100,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My favorite lines from the '40s, on Turner Classic Movies:

"Listen here, see"

"Aw, gee, that's swell, fellas"

"He's mad, I tell you, mad"
"yeah, see..." & these were supposedly the bad guys back then. ooohh scary!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 PM

638 posts, read 1,919,751 times
The big ass mole on DeNiros's upper cheek

Jim Carey's big teeth

Angelina Jolies blubbery lips

Samuel L Jacksons attitude

Old 12-12-2008, 11:54 PM

161 posts, read 370,826 times
glasses on hair up = ugly nerd
glasses off hair down = beauty queen

a lot of prop money is painfully fake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies