Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sure. But the whole point of Dracula's sexuality was that it was a FALSE sexual appeal. He was dead. There was no life or "hotness" in him. His breath reeked of spoiled meat. The whole point of vampirism in Dracula is that he offer lots of promises, but the reality was only endless consumption, always hungry but never sated, always hungry but never satisfied. His promise of eternal life is one utterly without joy. In fact, in the last instant when Dracula lays dying, the darkness leaves him and a look of utter relief passes across his features.

It's actually a fairly decent metaphor for false sexuality: the kind whose mantra is, "It's all about me."
While this is true, it still plays on sexuality, whether false or not. Depending upon which myth you go on for vampirism, sexuality is a common theme.

But I guess Edward would really fall into the False Sexuality category, as he as about as much appeal to me as Dracula in the original movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 04:21 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,600 times
I'm tired of the Twilight craziness and I read the series and enjoyed them. Borrowed them from my neighbors 11 year old daughter. Some books just don't transalte well on screen and I doubt this will.

I loved the Da Vinci Code and that did not transalte well on screen at all. When that became a movie there was so much hoopla over it and the movie was terrible. I'm hoping that won't happen with Twilight but we'll see.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
VAMPIRES SHOULD NOT SPARKLE.
finally! someone agrees w/ me!!! I've said it since I first read the book (though not in front of any maniacal Twilight Zoner): the books touches upon every woman's perceived desire. looks (a page doesn't go by in the book where we aren't reminded how gorgeous and beautiful the vamps are), money (notice often it's mentioned how rich the vamps are), power, everlasting youth, and now, vamps that glitter in the sunlight like a 50 carat diamond!! walking talking advertising for Kay's Jewelers!! it's like the author made a list of all the things women like and incorporated them into her vamps (if this wasn't a young adult book, you could guarantee that her vamps were huge "down there" (or for the female vamps, "up there") and know the Kama Sutra by heart). I get that Stephanie Meyer was trying to do her own thing w/ the mythology of vampires, but she NEVER gives a reason (at least in the 1st book; I never bothered w/ the rest) why they sparkle, or even how.

honestly, a mean part of me want to go to the movie and just be a heckler and see how they pull off the sparkly vamps, but seriously, those tweenage fan girls SCARE ME!! well, it's not even just the kids! I made the grave error of stating my dislike of the books while I was at a Borders a few days after the last book came out. I wasn't even hostile or rude about it, just basically said "I didn't think it was that great". I got a verbal beat down about how wonderful the book was, not from the dazed tween, but from the mother! I was literally told that maybe I just didn't understand the book, as if it was over my head!

ok, ranting aside, there's only a few days until the chaos ends and the planet goes back to normal. this hoopla makes me really miss the Harry Potter hoopla, which was overall more civil and pleasant than the Twilight Zone (HP fans are no where near as fanatical. maybe it's b/c a lot of guys like the books too and the testosterone balances out the raging hormones of the teen girls).

ok, let me stop ranting now

Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times
Quote:
I know someone will say "if you don't like it, avoid it" or something like that, but I do otherwise enjoy the sites I visit, just hate they've been taken over by the Twilight Zone

I can't WAIT till the 21st, just so the hype and the neurotic tween girls can go away !!
Its funny, right before I came on here I saw a commercial for the movie and thought the same thing. Now, I personally havent read the book (and have no interest either), but as far as the movie goes.. it just doesnt seem like the big deal they want to make it into.

IMO, I think theyre trying to make it into the next Harry Potter franchise/craze.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times
I can't wait till it opens on Friday. Got our tix for the 6:30PM show. & honestly I don't listen to Ryan Seacrest & don't think it's been hyped as much as the new Star Trek movie.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
I can't wait till it opens on Friday. Got our tix for the 6:30PM show. & honestly I don't listen to Ryan Seacrest & don't think it's been hyped as much as the new Star Trek movie.
see, I've heard zip about the ST movie. maybe it depends on where you live. I have however heard about the rampage at the SF mall where a autograph session w/ the actor was canceled, and there was a similar event near Chicago (thankfully, no rampaging teens) and near Boston (which my niece BEGGED my sister to attend, but they were only letting in a limited number of people due to the SF fiasco and people were already lined up for hours by the time they swung by the mall).

Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
I do agree different strokes for different folks and if you didn't like the book or read the book you will not like or get the movie. But regarding what vampires should or should not be, well DUH everything about vampires is made up so what difference does it make if this author adds something different? I don't get that point at all. I DID think the sparkling was a little cheesy in the movie but it didn't seem cheesy in the book.

I read the books, loved them. For whatever reason the first one REALLY captured me. Went last night to the movie. There were eight of us, thirty something married women (well technically I was the only single one), middle class, typical suburben women, that had all read the book and we all really enjoyed the movie, especially Edward.

No the movie was not designed to win oscars but I think it did a pretty darn good job. I think they did a great job casting Edward. No he would never be a "hot" guy for me, but he really was perfect for the role of Edward and most certainly had that sex appeal in the movie. He really did make the movie, wouldn't have enjoyed it otherwise!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:47 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
I enjoyed this piece on NPR yesterday evening. Click on Listen Now 'Twilight' Madness At The Midnight Movie : NPR

Old 11-22-2008, 12:03 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,046 times
I am sick of the Twighlight hype too. I have a 12 yr old daughter that was waiting for months to see the movie. I was the parent that got stuck taking 3 pre-teen girls to the movie last night. It looked like it might be ok, but after seeing it I am pissed that I wasted my money.

What's even worse is the girls that went with us were so excited about the movie that they were very loud all the way there and all the way home (20 min drive each way). Never again!!!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times
Sounds like the girls had a blast. The movie theatre I was in with my 12 year old was packed. 90% girls which is why I don't think it will be as big as the Harry Potter movies. It doesn't have the cross over. But a smart teen age boy would be waiting in the lobby after the movie.

I enjoyed the movie. Yeah the whole audience laughed at some of the groaner dialogue & Kristin Stewart had a couple of scenes where she really overacted. I was surprised when Carlyle(?) Cullins (the father vampire) came on screen he got applause from the audience.

Team Jacob! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies