Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Okay,
Also I'm hoping that these type of movies will continue to surface because I think it's great to be able to see people like myself in Christmas movies, comedies and drama on the big screen without all the sex, violence and adult language that seems to plague black films.
I understand what you are saying but there are plenty of black actors..
Most black film seems to fit into the comedy or action genre and it..
Would be good to see more serious films and drama's.
Im a fan of Spike Lee's films but he seems pretty fixated on race issues.
I think it is safe to say black women are under-represented in film.
Honestly i havent seen Tyler Perrys films but i will check them out.
I hope its better than a sitcom i recently saw on TV written by him...
It was Horrible even by sitcom standards!
Yea I hate the sitcom; I think I watched the first few episodes and then gave up. LOL @the lot of black actors comment For a minute I was thinking Morris Chestnut and Gabrielle Union were the only two working but for me it wasn't so much there being a lack of black movies; it was more like them being the same. Really...how many times before we have to see a comedian dressed like a fat woman before they get that it's just not that funny? I definitely agree with you about black women being under-represented in film; but I guess maybe it's because most of the good scripts are for straight-to-dvd or made-for-tv movies.

I'm one of those people that always complains though so they'll be no pleasing me I felt J. Hudson's presence in sex & the city movie was just so they could have a black face on the screen - her accent annoyed the hell out of me. But if Girlfriends was to make a big screen appearance, I'd say "why are they trying to copy sex & the city with this horribly lame script" I heard good things about The Secret Life of Bees; I'll have to check it out when it hits DVD. I'm anxious to see how Alicia Keys does an an actress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Alicia Keys was in the movie "Smokin' Aces", FYI (so you don't have to wait for SLB to go to DVD)

Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Tyler Perry's plays are better than the movies- with that being said 'Why Did I Get Married' was probably his best film

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Maybe funny is attractive to many people no matter their heritage. I like Tyler Perry and I think he has started to appeal to wider variety of people because the subject matter of his humor tends to be things that people of all origins can identify with. I also think he may appeal to a diverse audience because his movies are family and don't push an alternative life style agenda or overuse profanity, sex, blood and gore and violence. I agree with the OP in that Tyler Perry's movies are getting better and better. I really liked the Family that Preys.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
What I loved about "The Family That Preys" is that even though it's an interracial cast, race is not an issue. And the other posters here are right: the issues that he brings up affect everyone, Black, White, Red or Brown. He puts them in a forum where people can discuss them. Whenever a Tyler Perry film comes out, I'll be there opening weekend.

As for his sitcom: I don't care for it, but I look at it as proof that nobody is perfect.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Tyler Perry's plays are better than the movies- with that being said 'Why Did I Get Married' was probably his best film
LOL it's funny cause i'm the opposite - I hated Diary as a play but I loved it as a movie; well I liked Family Reunion better as a play; but I hated Meet The Browns & Madea Goes to Jail. Do you think I can do bad by myself morphed into Why Did I Get Married? One of the things I like about Perry is his casting choices; it was great to see Kathy Bates in The Family That Preys.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:08 AM

726 posts, read 2,268,988 times
I liked Daddy's Little Girls. It was a great film, and somewhat realistic.
Even though the ending dealt with violence, it was reasonable in that case.

There aren't that many great black directors out there, and I think Perry is an exception. His films are comedic, but also meaningful.
Family Reunion was good too. I'd like to see more of Cicely Tyson Lol

Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
I liked Daddy's Little Girls. It was a great film, and somewhat realistic.
Even though the ending dealt with violence, it was reasonable in that case.

There aren't that many great black directors out there, and I think Perry is an exception. His films are comedic, but also meaningful.
Family Reunion was good too. I'd like to see more of Cicely Tyson Lol
Yea Cicely Tyson really added something to both movies although it would have been nice to see Kimberly Elise and Shemar Moore at the reunion too

Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Its taken Hollywood a while to come around to the idea Robert Townsend put forth in Hollywood Shuffle.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Its taken Hollywood a while to come around to the idea Robert Townsend put forth in Hollywood Shuffle.
I've never seen Hollywood Shuffle - it was a bit before my time. But I was thinking about this thread because TP just made headlines in a copyright suit. I guess it couldn't be good news forever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies