Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 PM

59 posts, read 218,258 times

Advertisements

I watched by myself last week---some family issue going on, needed something to distract me.

Everything looks great, my favorite scene is when cullen family played baseball together,

however,

1. actor is old, doesnt look like 17 but 37....
2. Actor doesnt change cloth.....

Alright, i admit i am visual animal, enjoy beautiful face prior to story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM

18 posts, read 33,239 times
O my gosh! I saw it with a couple of friends and we all agree it was the best movie in the world!!! I cried soo much. i am soooo jealous of Bella. She gets to be with the hottest guy ever. LOL. At first, when my friends were reading the books, i thought this whole thing was soo stupid. I even tried reading the first book and gave up half way through. But when the movie came out, i got more and more into it. Then when i saw, i was sooo amazed!! It was acually better than i thought. Im planning on reading the whole series. Have you read the book? if so, is it anything like the movie?? People say they left a lot out or the movie.

Last edited by LDSgrl; 11-28-2008 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Said something wrong :P

Old 11-28-2008, 03:48 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times
I'm a little more than half way through the first book and I think they did a good job with the movie. They did leave certain things out but its a fairly large book and not really possible to put everybody's favorite scenes in. All in all the writers/director/actors maintained the integrity of the book.

One thing that I like more about the movie than the actual book is that the "bad" vampires are introduced early on so there is more action to the story. The book does tend to drag a little in parts early on without that addition.

I loved Rob Pattinson as Edward. To me he nailed the part perfectly. Not such a fan of Kristen Stewart (i think this is her name but could be wrong) as Bella. She's just not very likeable and its hard to imagine that these two would fall for each other. Anyways, that's my verdict. I'm far to old to be this interested in teen book.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 PM

245 posts, read 18,549 times
I didnt read the book but i watched the movie i thought it was pretty good but a little slow.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:04 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
Anyways, that's my verdict. I'm far to old to be this interested in teen book.
Same here But I watched the press surrounding the movie/book, wondered what all the fuss is about, and bought a copy.

*shrug* 's OK. Definitely for the teengirl crowd. I was hoping for a series that could be a crossover - like Harry Potter. I started reading those books when I was in my 40s and continue to pull them down and re-read them years later. The "Twilight" series is more like a light bodice ripper - plenty of smoldering looks and delicate brushes of Edward's fingers across Bella's cheek <pause to shake my head and laugh a little>.

One reviewer said this was a book about abstinence, and I'm inclined to agree. As for the movie, I'll check it out when it comes to Netflix. Hopefully it will be one of the downloadable kind and I won't have to watch my Dh do an eyeroll when we get it in the mail. I'm kind of wondering if Bella is as annoying in the movie as she was in the book. By the end I was torn between saying "Edward! Would ya just bite her already and get this over with!" and "Jeeze, what a truculent downer of a female. I'm not sure I'd want to spend an eternity listening to her mope."

This is definitely not in the same league as the "pitching woo" that went on between characters like Nathaniel and Cora in "Last of the Mohicans" or Newland and Ellen in "Age of Innocence." A scene like this:

makes the bosom stir

Last edited by silverwing; 11-29-2008 at 08:15 PM..

Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSgrl View Post
O my gosh! I saw it with a couple of friends and we all agree it was the best movie in the world!!! I cried soo much. i am soooo jealous of Bella. She gets to be with the hottest guy ever. LOL. At first, when my friends were reading the books, i thought this whole thing was soo stupid. I even tried reading the first book and gave up half way through. But when the movie came out, i got more and more into it. Then when i saw, i was sooo amazed!! It was acually better than i thought. Im planning on reading the whole series. Have you read the book? if so, is it anything like the movie?? People say they left a lot out or the movie.
LOL, wow...

What a girlie movie. I cannot believe someone took something as cool as vampires and made a chick flick out of it with a romance story. That's just so sad.

Best review comes from Kevin Williamson of Jam! Movies: "OMG -- I'm so totally not a teenage girl!"

Last edited by JonathanLB; 11-30-2008 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-30-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I cannot believe someone took something as cool as vampires and made a chick flick out of it with a romance story. That's just so sad.
I'll give the author some credit, though I don't know how well illustrated her ideas are in the movie. She didn't just fall back on the "sleep by day - prowl at night; I vant to suck your blooood" vampires. Stephanie Meyers(?) had some different ideas about the vampire physiology.

And *ahem*, romance is the heart of vampire lore. Even Anne Rice - though her vampire woo-woo was of the gay sort.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:06 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times
I am a huge fan of the books and I went in to the movie knowing that there was no way they could fit everything in and that they would have to be creative to make the story understandable to those who haven't read the books. (which I highly recommend doing and I am certainly not a teenager)

I thought that they did a great job with the movie! It was maybe a little slow in the beginning and the FX were kind of hokey in some places but they didn't have a big budget either. The baseball scene was awesome! The actors played the characters almost exactly how I had them pictured in the book. R. Pattinson is a wonderful Edward! Can't wait to see New Moon.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
LOL, wow...

What a girlie movie. I cannot believe someone took something as cool as vampires and made a chick flick out of it with a romance story. That's just so sad.

Best review comes from Kevin Williamson of Jam! Movies: "OMG -- I'm so totally not a teenage girl!"
You may not be a teenage girl. But there are certainly alot out there and women as well who want to see something at the movies besides robots, car chases and big explosions.

Those who make movies need to realize that we have money as well and make something that appeals to us. As "Twilight" has shown we will come out in force.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
Those who make movies need to realize that we have money as well and make something that appeals to us. As "Twilight" has shown we will come out in force.
::laughs:: Well, I'm not gonna say where I found it, but there's already a bootleg copy available to view online. It's clearly a cell phone - probably a min-camcorder - version considering the quality, but it's a pretty decent view. Now I won't have to go the theater, wait until there's a break in the ticket line, and furtively tell the counter person "one for ... umm .. 'Twilight' " Mind, I am very much the mooshy movie kind of viewer; I've worn out copies of 'Last of the Mohicans' and 'Sense and Sensibility'; but from what I've seen so far, this is a "young" movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies