Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times

Advertisements

What movies have you seen lately like in the past couple weeks and how did you like them?

I've seen Transporter 3 and the James Bond movies. I liked them both I'll definetly be buying those when they come out on DVD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
What movies have you seen lately like in the past couple weeks and how did you like them?

I've seen Transporter 3 and the James Bond movies. I liked them both I'll definetly be buying those when they come out on DVD.
The movies I've seen the last couple weeks were

Planes Trains & Automobiles: One of the best movies w/John Candy and Steve Martin and I loved the chemistry these two had in this movie and the situations they've gotten themselves into, I give PT&A a 10/10

Office Space: Very good movie with lots of good humor and I love how you can relate well to this movie yet it makes you laugh at the same time, this is one of the movies that gets better with each viewing, I give Office Space a10/10

Step Brothers: Very funny movie and the lead actors along with the supporting actors give great performances, unfortunately the movie slightly starts running out of gas 2/3rd's into the movie but it picks up towards again within the last 20 minutes of the movie, I give Step Brothers a 9/10

Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,065 times
I just watched Ray tonight for the first time. It was very good. I can see why Jamie Foxx won the oscar. He did a superb job.
Loved it!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
I've seen- New in town, Marley & Me, He's just not that into you and Confessions of a shopoholic.
New in town- was a great movie I loved it. Marley & Me- was a great movie as well but so sad I cried parts of it were very hard to watch. He's just not that into you- wasnt nearly as good as I thought it would be, didnt really care for it. Confessions of a shopoholic- didnt like very much either.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 22,746 times
I watched Pride & Glory last night. I liked the movie quite a bit, even though I despise Colin Farrell, hehe.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times
Gran Torino. Classic Clint Eastwood movie. Loved it!! I know so many guys like the character Clint played in this movie so I really understood character.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Revenge of the Ninja (1983). Had to stop watching on Friday and hope to finish it tonight. Cannon films at it's cheesy movie best!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,731 times
I'll check my film journal, starting with now and working backwards:
Ghost Story ~ Whenever it's on, I'm watching. It has flaws, and I like the novel so much more, but I enjoy the venture into the old men's past. Plus, it's an amazing display of talented elders.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra ~ This was my second viewing, and I videotaped it this time. It is absolutely on target as a parody of Z-grade Fifties sci fi movies, the kind we used to see at the drive-in. Animala steals every scene she's in. "Rowr!" Her Rock Dance should NOT be missed!

Hard to Hold ~ This Eighties film stars Rick Springfield, and it's achingly bad, as amateurish as a very low-budget project. He was popular in one of those daytime "soaps"; maybe he did better there. Even the songs chosen weren't good enough to help.

Legend ~ I never tire of this one~as long as it's the Tangerine Dream version. I wish that I could have seen this in the theater and wonder what was going on in my life that I couldn't catch it there. Ridley Scott created a wonderful fantasy film that has so much "eye candy"; many scenes look like works of art.

Battlefield Earth ~ Uck! I didn't think I could get through it, but I finally did. I had tried it years before but had quit early. I really should have kept passing it up.

Night of the Hunter ~ Can Robert Mitchum sing! He's so great in this movie, as is Lillian Gish. Two scenes are eerie and beautiful: the murdered woman in the sunken car, her blonde tresses floating; and the children's boat trip down the river. Nowadays, too many directors do not concern themselves with artistic touches. I find it more and more difficult to find movies I enjoy enough to want to revisit.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park ~ I do love dinosaurs! At 4 years old, my dream was to become a paleontologist and go to the Gobi Desert to work with Roy Chapman Andrews. OK, so, I didn't have a grasp on history at that time. It was still very ambitious for a little girl in the early Fifties to want to do such a thing. Steven Spielberg gave us three films full of dinosaurs! I'm not going to complain (too much) about flaws in the design.

The Open Road ~ There's no art in this! Justin Timberlake is the lead actor. That should have told me to avoid it except I thought that Mary Steenburgen, Harry Dean Stanton, and Jeff Bridges (giving a sluglike performance) could save it. What a bore!

Feds ~ I think this is a cute, funny, and thoroughly enjoyable film, with Rebecca De Mornay and Mary Gross as women determined to become FBI agents. If I recall correctly, the movie had the cooperation of the FBI.

John Carter ~ I don't care what the pooh-poohers say: This is an epic science fiction film! My father introduced me to Edgar Rice Burroughs when I was about 5 years old, and I read all of the books available at the library. (My parents taught me to read when I was 4.) Anyway... There are flaws in the story, but I could overlook them and enjoy all of it. This was the first movie trailer in many years to give me goosebumps, which certain scenes do summon. Here's one old lady who knew who John Carter is and who will remain loyal to this film, dreaming that there will be a sequel.

You Only Live Twice ~ REELZ is showing James Bond throughout February, and I'll be there for as many as possible. One thing: Daniel Craig makes Roger Moore look like a better Bond! Actually, Craig looks like a Bond villain! What a skanky-looking guy! Uck! I tried one of his movies and decided I'd stick with the older stuff~up to Pierce Brosnan.

Mother, May I Sleep With Danger? ~ I have to explain that there really was nothing else on (except for f-filled gangster and hood movies), so this was a last resort. LMN proudly touts this as a cult film, and it really has reached that status. My mother and I had fun laughing at a lot of it, especially every time Ivan Sergei had to praise Tori Spelling's beauty and great body. *snicker*snort* I guess this could be a guilty pleasure except it's not one we go out of our way to watch.

Dead Silent ~ It's the ol' parents killed-child mute-something hidden in a toy thing. *yawn* Let's see... There's "Silent Fall", "Mercury Rising" and this.

The Ninth Gate ~ It took me several viewings before this film cast its spell on me. Now, I watch it every time it's shown, whether on a movie channel or on network TV. It's not just Johnny Depp either~though he certainly doesn't hurt. I just find the puzzle intriguing and have yet to come up with a decision about exactly what has transpired.

Cat People ~ I hadn't watched the remake since it was shown on HBO long ago. That's it. I don't need to see it again. I'll stick with Val Lewton's Forties production, which I could watch in a loop and not become bored with for~hmmm~at least 10 times around. Actually, give me a marathon of Lewton's films, and I'd be blissful for quite a long time. This gory, nasty Eighties version just isn't worth repeated viewings.

Fire on the Amazon ~ It's not as bad as the reviewers insist it is. It's not one I'd hurry to watch again, but I've seen movies that are far worse.

The Seventh Sign ~ I seem to watch this one whenever it's shown unless something else catches my attention. It's entertaining, and the performances carry me through the story. It's one of the better end-of-days movies.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl ~ I've lost count of how many times I've seen this film and the others. This was the final film I saw in a theater before I had to stop going due to limited mobility. I miss it, but this one was a wonderful way to say goodbye to that experience.

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang ~ Paul Muni is his usual brilliant self, and this film remains powerful. It also was influential in convincing people to change things.

My Afternoon with Margueritte ~ Gerard Depardieu never disappoints me! I also recently saw "Vatel" for the first time. Both films are enjoyable. "Vatel" is a feast for the eyes, and this film touches the heart.

Black Legion ~ Humphrey Bogart kept showing the studio what he could do, and it still took awhile for him to hit stardom.

The Story of Louis Pasteur ~ Paul Muni won one of his Best Actor Oscars for this one. It's considered his best role.

That should be enough for now. I won't go back a week's worth because that would be such a looooong post.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 02-06-2013 at 02:31 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Saw The 5 year engagement with Jason Segel and Emily Blunt. Good film. the leads were believable as a couple facing real obstacles in their relationship and engagement.

Jason has the likeable regular guy quality about him that's great to watch.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Since you said "lately" I somehow figured you mean newer movies.

These are in descending order, with the best first, the worst at the end.

Lincoln
Barbara
Fitzgerald Family Christmas
The Impossible
Flight
A Royal Affair
Argo
Silver Linings Playbook
The Master
Django Unchained
Skyfall
Anna Karenina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies