Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17474383/from/RS.4/ (interactive, no copyright)

I think out of all of them, Rudy or Saving Private Ryan are the only ones that would make my guy cry. He'd probably retch at Titanic.
Men, what do you say? Did any of these get to you? It's okay to share.

“Dead Poets Society” (1989)
Nothing like an inspirational-teacher flick to make a guy misty. Robin Williams shelves his wackiness to play John Keating, offbeat English teacher at a buttoned-down prep school. Spouting Whitman, Thoreau and Horace (“Carpe diem!”), Keating and his eager students embody the pleasures of learning and the enthusiasm of youth. So when Neil, played by Robert Sean Leonard, commits suicide rather than live the life his father demands, his death hits hard. Neil will never fulfill his potential, and viewers are forced to consider what price they've paid to survive in this cruel, cruel world. Total bummer.

“Gladiator” (2000)

There could not be a more masculine movie. Russell Crowe, in his scowling, muscled prime, stars as Maximus, meanest fighter ever to grace the Coliseum. Heck, his family was murdered; he's got nothing to lose. Shot in sober gray tones by director Ridley Scott, “Gladiator” won kudos, including the Oscar for best picture, for its visceral depiction of a very violent tale. All of which means that the lump in male throats when Maximus dies, with his honor intact, is testosterone induced. “At my signal, unleash hell ...” and tears.

“Legends of the Fall” (1994)

As a rule, men don't get the appeal of Brad Pitt. “Legends of the Fall,” in which every woman's favorite actor plays the wild one among three frontier brothers, is the exception. When Pitt's character, Tristan, falls in love with his younger bro's fiancée (Julia Ormond), the once-unquestioned bond between siblings becomes rather messy. Further complicating matters, all three men then enlist in World War I, breaking their antiwar father's heart (Anthony Hopkins). Like Wild West flicks of earlier decades, “Legends” explores primal themes, underscored by Pitt's tough yet, gulp, sensitive performance.

“The Notebook” (2005)

Does the romance between Allie (Rachel McAdams) and Noah (Ryan Gosling) produce more sap than a maple forest? Yes. Is the script, based on Nicholas Sparks' bestseller of the same name, crammed with such manipulative touches as Alzheimer's disease, class differences and a Ferris wheel ride? Yes. Will director Nick Cassavetes employ every corny trick in the book: soaring score, misty flashbacks, birds flying into a sunset? Yes. And do men who watch “The Notebook” secretly sop up tears with the sleeves of their hoodies? You know it.

“Rudy” (1993)
Talk about fantasy football. Not only does Rudy (Sean Astin) lack the smarts to get into Notre Dame, he's short several inches and many pounds to play for the Fighting Irish. But our heroic underdog refuses to let his shortcomings defeat his dream, and with the help of a kindly groundskeeper and a kindly priest, not to mention the world's most patient girlfriend (Lili Taylor), he scores a place on the college's storied gridiron. Despite such a hackneyed setup, “Rudy” rises above other hardscrabble sports flicks, because director David Anspaugh rarely stoops to schmaltzy tactics. Like Rudy, he earns every teardrop.

“Saving Private Ryan” (1998)

Rare is the war movie that doesn't numb its audience with endless violence. Although Steven Spielberg, who won a best director Oscar for this film, punctuates “Saving Private Ryan” with ultra-real battle sequences, he keeps the sepia-toned focus on the characters. As a result, the audience is engaged, hearts and minds, in the mission of Capt. Miller (Tom Hanks) and his men, and Spielberg is able to evoke complicated emotions with his overarching question: Is war worth it?

“Titanic” (1997)

Kate Winslet's Rose isn't the only one smitten with Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack. Guys, too, enjoy the lively chap's company. We admire his sense of adventure, stowing away on a steamship bound for America. We cheer as he courts a girl who was out of his league. We admire how he suggests nude modeling as an excuse to get naked. So when Jack plunges to his death, an uncontrollable flood of tears sinks our composure. That is until Celine Dion's “My Heart Will Go On” has us rolling our eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 03:37 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
Howdy cil. I cried a bit at a lot of movies but only the first and last ones on your list. Tell you what it's the news makes me cry more than anything now. And any movie about family. I miss my family so much it hurts to see it on TV when theyre all happy and together. Life after the Wife ain't so fun after all but at my age the ladies outnumber the men so the odds are lookin' good, LOL!

oh maybe you want my list of 7 movies made me cry. Memory ain't too god but i give it a shot off the top of my head.

"To Sir With Love" with Sydney Poitier, that one stuck a needle in my heart!

"Sophie's Choice" was so sad I can never see it again but it's a darn good movie

"Fiddler On The Roof" lord have mercy that one was a tear-jerker, the one with Topol playing the lead

Like you said, Dead Poets and Titanic, they gotta be on my list

Dang there must be a hundred more but I can't think of anything! Heck it's only 4:30 in the afternoon so I reckon maybe my brain will wake up in a few hours.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
]“Dead Poets Society” (1989)
Nah. An okay movie at best. Not great, and certainly not tear worthy.

Quote:
“Gladiator” (2000)[/b]
Blech. Probably the second-most overrate movie of the past 10 years. Not only not tear worthy, just plain not a good movie.

Quote:

“Legends of the Fall” (1994)
Again. Okay movie. Nothing great. Once you've seen it once, you've seen it. No need to repeat.

Quote:
“The Notebook” (2005)
Never saw it. No desire to see it.

Quote:
“Rudy” (1993)
Great movie. Never made me cry, but a great movie nonetheless.

Quote:
“Saving Private Ryan” (1998)
Very good flick. But never made me get misty. Not even a little.

Quote:
“Titanic” (1997)
I've never been able to sit through the whole thing. After the ship has been sinking for what feels like four straight days, I get bored and go do something else.

Whoever wrote that list for MSNBC doesn't get guys or movies very much. These movies never cease to get me a bit misty:

Finding Nemo. When the pelican is telling Nemo of all the things that his dad has done to come save him. Seeing the look on Nemo's face...how can you not get teary?

The Iron Giant. "You are who you choose to be." "Superman!" If that doesn't make you cry, you have no heart.

King Kong. Yes, I cried when Kong died. But hey, I was six years old.

To Kill A Mockingbird. Gregory Peck's final courtroom scene, then when he walks out. One of American cinema's finest moments.

The Incredibles. The big fight in the jungle. Okay, I'll admit they are tears of joy, because that whole sequence is just pure, unabashed fun.

Little Big Man. When his family is killed. Tears of rage.

Young Frankenstein. I'm crying because I'm laughing so hard.

Rob Roy. In the final fight, when Rob grabs the bad guy's sword. Now that is a guy movie!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
OK...my hubby always gets teary eyed when watching the movie THE NATURAL. He claims it is his allergies...but they only seem to bother him when that movie is on!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:44 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Forrest Gump is the one that got to me,specially the end part.

all the other ones you listed I never broke a tear too.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:51 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,333 times
Default Braveheart

The first time I ever saw my husband cry was when we went to see "Braveheart" in the theater... how many years ago would that have been? No idea... but it was at the end part, I can hardly remember it now - when Mel Gibson as the Scottish rebellion leader is tortured.

The one other time, more recently, he had rented an animated Japanese film that he heard was good. It was called "Grave of the Fireflies". We both sobbed our guts out! I could hardly believe it when we were laying in bed later that night, and I heard these muffled sobs!! I think we were particularly sensitive because we have two young daughters, and in this film, well, let's just say the little girl doesn't fare too well.

I just asked my husband what other movie made him cry, and he said "Star Trek II" - I thought he was kidding, but he said that he really was terribly upset by Spock dying. I guess you have to be a Trekkie to feel that one.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:57 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Legends of the Fall is probably the closest i've come to shedding a tear during a movie. It is a good movie in its' own right!

It is just me or did that movie remind anyone of the Bible's parable of the prodigal son?

Old 03-06-2007, 05:02 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
The one other time, more recently, he had rented an animated Japanese film that he heard was good. It was called "Grave of the Fireflies". We both sobbed our guts out! I could hardly believe it when we were laying in bed later that night, and I heard these muffled sobs!! I think we were particularly sensitive because we have two young daughters, and in this film, well, let's just say the little girl doesn't fare too well.
Oh...yes. thanks for posting that film. One of the greats. If you are up for a truly...subdued night of animation, watch "Grave of the Fireflies" with "When the Wind Blows". Have tissue handy.

Speaking of animation, thanks to Mark S. for the "Iron Giant" mention. I own the darn thing and need to watch it again. I even bought the VHS edition packaged with the Giant toy

I'm female, but not a "teary" person at all. I was totally surprised and shocked by my personal reaction to the end of "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio ". I still can't explain it. I'm not sure if they were tears of joy or ???
Obviously, a very emotionally moving movie for me.

Great thread. As soon as my SO gets in I'll ask if he has any thoughts (perhaps he can explain the Trekkie thing? )

Old 03-06-2007, 05:07 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Speaking of animation, thanks to Mark S. for the "Iron Giant" mention. I own the darn thing and need to watch it again. I even bought the VHS edition packaged with the Giant toy
THE IRON GIANT is one of the best animated films ever made, and easily one of the best films of the past 10 years. Brad Bird is a genius.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Grave of the Fireflies is not for everyone.

Iron Giant is also in our movie library, ditto the toy. I love the ending.

I also appreciated Marks' mention of the horrible murder scene in Little Big Man.
It reminded me of Greengrass' Sunday Bloody Sunday--neither of those were fiction. Rob Roy has many poignant moments that could get to a man, IMHO.

Plaidmom, I've heard of the Prizewinner of Defiance, Idaho but never seen it.
Never heard of When the Wind Blows. Can you clue us in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies