Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I liked Blair Witch. When it came out, which as before social media was really big, people weren't sure whether the footage they were using was real or not. The first of its kind to use the first person camera footage in film. It was also scary because it people could actually imagine themselves camping in the woods like that situation. They also never actually show the witch. They play with the environment and the characters' emotions, which made it even scarier. I can see not liking it, but I don't understand how it can be considered a stupid, overhyped piece of <bleep>.
I saw it opening night and people were laughing through the movie. When it ended people were pissed at how crappy and NOT scary it was. The hype surrounding the film was better than the actual film. The fake documentary and website were scarier. It was definitely an over hyped piece of crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
These movies had me scared for weeks after watching. Didn’t help that I was a young kid when I saw these, with an over-active imagination.

The Exorcist-anything demonic scares me. And when she did the 180 turn with her head...I had nightmares for weeks. I was a kid when I saw it. Anytime one of my classmates got sick and threw up, I would run over to see if it was green because that would have meant that they were possessed .

Salem’s Lot-that vampire. So scary. The whole movie was just creepy. I just knew that vampire was going to come kill me in my sleep.

Amityville Horror-again, anything demonic. It freaked me out when the house started bleeding, and I was convinced our house had a hidden room with a well filled with blood in it.

Cujo-that damn dog was relentless. I was scared of big dogs for a long time after watching.

I saw a preview for one movie, never saw it, but in the preview the demon was contorted, walking really fast on all fours but it was contorted to where it looked like a spider. Freaked me out.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Cujo, Christine, all the Stephen King novels/movies scared my pants off. I was afraid of headlights through the window after Christine. That car was evil. Pet Semetary, IT, omg IT. You couldn't pay me to see the new movie. The book had me fearing toilets and sewer grates. That is the #1 scariest thing I ever read. I couldn't stop reading it, but it had to be face down, under the bed for me to sleep, lol.

It's not even funny people dressing up as Pennywise for Halloween, or pranksters who put red baloons around. Just no.

I enjoyed the SNL skit of Kellyanne Conway as 'Kellywise' but it scared me too. That actress is too good.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 PM

Jencam-I’m adding all of those movies you mentioned to my list. They definitely left an impression on me. I said the same thing when the new IT came out. There was no way I was going to see it. Nope. Don’t like clowns. Especially ones with red eyes and fangs.

Pet Sematery-when the son and wife came back-so creepy. That was one movie I kept watching though. I think because I was a fan of the lead actor. Can’t remember his name.

Another Stephen King that scared the beejeesus out of me-Creepshow. The stories with the monster in the crate and the roaches scared the crap out of me.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I saw it opening night and people were laughing through the movie. When it ended people were pissed at how crappy and NOT scary it was. The hype surrounding the film was better than the actual film. The fake documentary and website were scarier. It was definitely an over hyped piece of crap.
I saw it in theaters too, and people seemed to thoroughly enjoy it. I definitely don't remember any laughing (but that was like 15 years ago, and I was a college student; nobody can remember the reaction of a movie audience that far back...). I didn't take a poll after to determine whether people thought it was crappy and not scary, but everyone I know who saw it, really liked it. In fact, the huge fan reception is what caused them to release REAL crappy sequel. So there were plenty of people who were not pissed at how crappy and not scary it was.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 AM

58 posts, read 39,500 times
I prefer gloomy, "gothic" horror movies over the faster paced gore fests like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre series. I'm not excited about what the likes of Zach Snyder or Marcus Nispel have done with this genre. Recently, I enjoyed Sinister and Woman in Black the best, both from 2012.

There was a lot of middle-class-family-recently-moved-to-a-haunted-house movies around 2010, like the Conjuring or Insidious series but I found Sinister by far the scariest and most disturbing of the bunch.

Woman in Black is a magnificient tribute to the old Hammer movies from England. Very stylish, nostalgic and grim, even though maybe a bit too cold and conservative for some likings.

Wrong Turn was a decent hixploitaiton movie in its first installation, the rest of the series has taken, well, a wrong turn in my book. Really cheap and progressively dumber video movies that can provide some limited entertainment value but I wouldn't call them scary at all.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:25 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
Jencam-I’m adding all of those movies you mentioned to my list. They definitely left an impression on me. I said the same thing when the new IT came out. There was no way I was going to see it. Nope. Don’t like clowns. Especially ones with red eyes and fangs.

Pet Sematery-when the son and wife came back-so creepy. That was one movie I kept watching though. I think because I was a fan of the lead actor. Can’t remember his name.

Another Stephen King that scared the beejeesus out of me-Creepshow. The stories with the monster in the crate and the roaches scared the crap out of me.
Stephen King is the master of horror! I used to read every book he wrote, until he started writing like one a week.

I did a paper in HS drawing comparisons between him and Hitchcock. Have you seen The Birds? To this day, when there are a million crows, I get a tiny bit creeped out. When I was younger it was more than a tiny bit.

On a boat once, a bunch of birds more like the ones in the book/movie were around, like circling us. I threw a ton of food in the water for them. I didn't want them to peck my eyeballs out. My friends enjoyed making fun of me. I am the weak link, the big baby about scary things!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
The Innocents, 1961. This still scares the bejeebers out of me. It doesn't matter whether these creepy things are actually occurring, or whether she's seeing and hearing things. People who aren't quite right in the head can be pretty scary.

Add that to the haunting, sinister, Gothic setting, and you have an effective psychological thriller--best seen during the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8qIeJTN2s4

Old 09-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Stephen King is the master of horror! I used to read every book he wrote, until he started writing like one a week.

I did a paper in HS drawing comparisons between him and Hitchcock. Have you seen The Birds? To this day, when there are a million crows, I get a tiny bit creeped out. When I was younger it was more than a tiny bit.

On a boat once, a bunch of birds more like the ones in the book/movie were around, like circling us. I threw a ton of food in the water for them. I didn't want them to peck my eyeballs out. My friends enjoyed making fun of me. I am the weak link, the big baby about scary things!
I love Stephen King. I’m with you, I love his classic horror books. The most recent one I read by him was Revival. It was okay.

I would love to read your paper. My mom and I used to watch the Alfred Hitchcock tv show. I did see The Birds. Every time I see a crow or raven, I think of that movie.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjKMUvCkAJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awVNCIjQq1A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies