Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I didn't want to see a half-dressed Hanks alone on an island.
Worked for me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM

283 posts, read 508,554 times
How the heck can you put "Traffic" and "Malcolm X" on your list?

Both were Oscar nominees for Best Picture, and even though they did not win in that category, they won other Oscars. Denzel Washington could easily of won one for Best Actor.
Traffic was probably the most comprehensive look at the drug wars, as it depicted stories from all sides involved: the USA, Mexico, the cops, the dealers, the politicians (An excellent Michael Douglas) and even his daughter, who showed that the drug problem crosses socio-economic lines.
My only conclusion I can reach for your list is that you are not really a film buff, or knowledgable about cinema, and to what makes a good or bad film. Your post should be titled "Movies I hated" and not "worst movies." There is a big difference.
You would not find either of those movies on any film critic's Worst Movies of the Year list. Not one.

But I bet you dozens of them put those movies of their "Best of the Year" list.

Or maybe you have a problem with blacks and mexicans?

Just sayin'.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,686,819 times
I decided to download dungeon and dragons 3 last night. Bad decision

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,989,025 times
I'm having a hard time deciding if it just was less that what I had expected or if it really is one of the worst I have seen....
The Hobbit part 1

Nothing really happened and I caught myself looking at my watch several times throughout the movie.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,686,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding if it just was less that what I had expected or if it really is one of the worst I have seen....
The Hobbit part 1

Nothing really happened and I caught myself looking at my watch several times throughout the movie.

Nothing happened? You must have missed the part where the the dwarves came, they travelled about 1000 miles, the wargs attacked, the white orc attacked, the smog and dwarf back story, the trolls they turned to stone, the visit to the elves, the part where bilbo stole the ring from golem, the wizard informed gandalf about the necromancer to set up the next movie. I guess nothing happened though.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,717 times
The worst film I've seen hands down was Jawbreaker. Jus terrible.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,234,516 times
How could I go wrong with this cast?!
Mel Ferrer
Glenn Ford
John Huston
Sam Peckinpah
Shelley Winters
Lance Henriksen
with Franco Nero as Jesus
and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as himself

Wow, right?! Wrong!

The Visitor aka Stridulum (1979) ~ This is AWFUL! I'm not sure there's a single redeeming moment except for maybe Franco Nero looking diivine. The only thing I can say is that this is better than "Tentacles", which also has an impressive cast. I must say that the poster looks cool except that the image appears nowhere in this movie. THIS channel does dig up some obscure ones, and this was tonight's offering.

I hear the longer cut makes more sense, and I think they might have that at YouTube. I might check it out once I recover from this viewing.

Well... I guess the bird swarm is kind of neat.

THE VISITOR (1979) Trailer - YouTube

NOTE: Someone made the "You're not a film buff" challenge to someone. Again, s/he completely misses the point: One person's masterpiece is another person's garbage. Just because a film wins awards and is praised by many, that same film is a chore to watch for others. For me, "Titanic" is one of the most tedious, idiotically written films I've ever seen, with its "romantic" subplot borrowed almost whole from the first episode of "The Time Tunnel". However, I love "Plan 9 from Outer Space", which is considered one of the worst ever made; it makes me laugh every time, and Ed Wood gets in some zingers at the military and government that people seem to miss. It has its own style. People praise "Forrest Gump". My family found it a ridiculous film; my mom asked, "Is this supposed to be serious or a comedy?" when Gump would narrate then say exactly what he said in the narration. Yes, I'm sure this mentally challenged man could do all of those things! And, the splicing him into scenes was just the latest cinematic trick.

So, you and others might praise certain films. To others, they aren't worth it; those films are the worst they've seen. It's not fair to attack their "creds" as movie-watchers. It's the same for art, music, food and just about everything else in life. One person's escargot is another's disgusting mollusk.

EDIT: Wow! I just noticed that you also accused the person of RACISM?! That is very low of you! I'm surprised that's allowed on this forum. I detest Tyler Perry's movies. But, I also detest those of Adam Sandler. I'm so confused! Am I or am I not?! *sigh*

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 01-14-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM

973 posts, read 1,454,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Thats probably the best part of the movie....lol. I wonder if Michael Myers had his Silver Shamrock mask on??? (Even though this movie had absolutely no connection to the Halloween series)

Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Thats probably the best part of the movie....lol.
Oh, definitely. I remember walking out of the theater singing the jingle. And as I was watching the YouTube clip, I was bobbing my head from side to side the same way the masks do. I couldn't help myself!!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,796 times
Bugs
Rambo (All of them)
Rocky (after V they just suck)
The last two Resident Evils (they just need to stop)
Amistad (sorry to say, it was just boring)

I believe more but I cannot bring them to mind, they must have been painful or more painful than the ones I mentioned, but I think Bugs is the most painful. It was so painful that I could remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies