Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I will never forget the woman in her bed clothes, who was dumped by a taxi outside of what I believe was a free clinic. It made me feel very angry indeed, I would take the NHS over what is obviously a corrupt & broken medical system any day.
I recall that scene too. It was our former hateful HMO (Kaiser) who had her transported from the Kaiser hospital to be dumped in front of the public hospital.

I've heard that the British national plan has some drawbacks, but the German plan covers the entire nation via 200+ private insurers. If health care in Europe was as bad as some people say, there'd be hordes of people coming here for their care, but I don't see that; what I do see is some people going to Europe for care, and there's a growing travel business of taking U.S. citizens to India for very low cost care that is quite good (so I hear).

PBS has a great special on health care, I wish people would watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Overall a well-made documentary [along with some of the usual Michael Moore antics]. Was amazed that in France they actually send a doctor to your house when you're sick, free-of-charge.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,287 times
And how about the way they take care of pregnant women and new mommies. I was amazed that they actually sent somebody to help them free of charge as well...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Overall a well-made documentary [along with some of the usual Michael Moore antics]. Was amazed that in France they actually send a doctor to your house when you're sick, free-of-charge.
yes, how silly of those frenchies, I mean, shouldn't the sick all be stuck in one crowded, fetid waiting room where they can cross-contaminate each other, after all, we gotta create even more sickness so we can bill for more services ... our precious DOCTORS are what counts the most, not mere citizens ... the intent of our medical system is to benefit the doctors, not the patients . . . it's the 'merkin way. (sarcasm OFF).

Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
yes, how silly of those frenchies, I mean, shouldn't the sick all be stuck in one crowded, fetid waiting room where they can cross-contaminate each other, after all, we gotta create even more sickness so we can bill for more services ... our precious DOCTORS are what counts the most, not mere citizens ... the intent of our medical system is to benefit the doctors, not the patients . . . it's the 'merkin way. (sarcasm OFF).

LOL... you are so right. The more you think about it the more ridicules it seems our system works.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM

103 posts, read 399,088 times
I guess if you didn't realize that there's a problem with healthcare in this country then it's worth watching. However if you want to have a real dialogue on how to solve the problem then I'd suggest watching Frontline's Sick Around the World. FRONTLINE: sick around the world | PBS
Quote:

How did you choose the five countries featured in this report?

Two of our choices, Britain and Japan, were pretty obvious. I had lived in both countries, I had doctors there and knew the systems. I could speak the language, sort of, in both places.

Beyond that, we were looking for examples of each of the established models of health care systems. The U.K. uses the Beveridge model; Taiwan has chosen the Canadian-style National Health Insurance [NHI] model; Germany, Japan and Switzerland use the Bismarck model. We went to three Bismarck countries on the theory that these private-sector systems are more relevant to America than a British-style National Health Service.

I got interested in Taiwan because Taiwan's Health Ministry did what our film does; it traveled the world studying health care systems. In the end, Taiwan chose the Canadian model. We went to Switzerland because it is a ferociously free-market economy with politically powerful insurance and drug companies. But still, the Swiss managed to revamp their system, making it cheaper and fairer. We thought that might inspire Americans to believe that change is possible here, too.

FRONTLINE: sick around the world: q&a with correspondent t.r. reid | PBS

Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I find it hard to take Moore seriously since he twists and hacks things so much. It's a shame because he may be making valid points but has proven to be such a weasel in the past that it's hard to trust him.

One major problem is that no one wants to PAY more for healthcare but we all want great coverage and service. Healthcare costs have gone up WAY beyond the rates of inflation over the past 10-15 years...which puts pressure on the insureds, insurers etc.

I support basic national healthcare, funded by payroll deduction ala social security. Most people want "free" healthcare, sorry there is no such thing. Look at tax etc. rates in most countries with these programs.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-23-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 AM

266 posts, read 866,609 times
I thought it was great. As many posters on here have said he was a "tad" bit bias and it could have used some more balance. But because of the lack balance it did make me really consider how bad the health insurance situation in the U.S> is. Compared to if he did point out parts of health insurance that did lack in other countries i probably wouldn't have had my eyes open as wide as they were because i would have thought ehh other countries still have huge problems with health insurance. All in all the film definietly makes one at least want to learn more about the current situation and gets one to think.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:44 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
I watched that lady testify in congress that she recieved bonuses based on the amount of claims she rejected, until her conscience would'nt allow her to kill any more people.
If I get sick in the UK I don't have to worry wether I have insurance or not, I know I'm going to be treated.
American healthcare should be shoved where the sun don't shine.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I watched that lady testify in congress that she recieved bonuses based on the amount of claims she rejected, until her conscience would'nt allow her to kill any more people.
If I get sick in the UK I don't have to worry wether I have insurance or not, I know I'm going to be treated.
American healthcare should be shoved where the sun don't shine.
You get what you pay for.
You pay for your health insurance via taxes where most Americans pay via payroll etc. OR DO NOT PAY. I agree with the idea of basic healthcare but it's not *free*

Another big difference is that it's my understanding that you have very little recourse to sue if you are unhappy and then only for damages. (plus your system rewards the winner) Over here, we can sue if we aren't happy with any number of things and can find a ton of lawyers willing to take our case. Malpractice costs are a significant portion of the expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies