Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- Entering his sixth year at Hogwarts, Harry Potter may not be able to see the finishing line, but he knows it's coming.

In "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," the sixth film in the Potter series, he's like a marathon runner who senses that he's got this course beat: He's still pacing himself, but there's a definite spring in his step.

Review: 'Prince' brings more Potter excellence - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
It was okay. The cinematography was beautiful as usual, and the sets were gorgeous. But it was sorely lacking in the script. So much from the book was left out, and focus was put on things that mattered less than the missing topics. It certainly is one of my least favorite of the series so far.

Disappointing, unfortunately.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM

174 posts, read 374,291 times
I won't try to represent all the readers, but I was not very impressed. They really messed up the sixth film. I would say, wait for the DVD rental.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 4,958 times
Locally, it opened here yesterday. We went to the first showing and there were 30 other people, all adults.

Rowling and the movie makers got so greedy that they shot themselves in the foot with the Potter franchise. They (Rowling and her publishers) stretched the books out so far that they lost focus on their audience (Book one was for 10-12 year olds, book 7 was for adults.). Rowling and the movie people stretched out the movies so far that everybody lost interest a couple years ago and everybody (including Harry and friends) grew up.

The last book will be in two movie installments, so we're probably talking another 4 years. *yawn*
With the momentum they started with, they should have kept the ball rolling a bit faster.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:08 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
The book was certainly too detailed to include everything, but they left out too vital a chunk of the story. The three lead actors were good, but I agree that the movie left a lot to be desired.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The book was certainly too detailed to include everything, but they left out too vital a chunk of the story. The three lead actors were good, but I agree that the movie left a lot to be desired.
With most movies I'm interested in, I'm content to wait until I can buy it on DVD. But, having waited two years for this one, I didn't want to wait another six months for the DVD. So my son took me to see it the other night as a birthday gift.
Don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I have to say that some of the changes made no sense at all to me. And some of the things left out were even more incomprehensible. Several characters they left out of this one are very important in the final book. Are they also going to be left out of the final two movies? There's also a scene in this movie showing the destruction of a location that is extremely important to the final book. What are they going to do in the next movie, pretend that never happened? If so, why did it happen at all?

Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy the movie. (As well as enjoying the first time in 15 years I had been in a movie theater!) I'm just confused by some of the changes between book and movie.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,451,235 times
I thought the "HBP" was pretty good, and yes, I have read all the books. I am seeing the usual complaints about aspects being left out, but you guys have to realize that it's impossible to cram all of that stuff into a 2 and a half hour film. That said, certain things many of you have pointed out would have been better off being included in place of others that made the final cut.

These next comments may contain *SPOILERS*

The opening scene was eye popping, particularly the way they made the camera fly through the streets of London. Very cool.

I thought the whole love potion thing - especially where Ron was concerned - was WAY overdone. It was funny for a few minutes, but then it got old quick, and you could feel that vibe by the lack of response in the theater.

BTW, the final 2 films are slated for release in 2010 and '11, so it won't be that long of a wait.....unless WB screws the fans again by pushing back the dates the way they did with this one.

This movie, more than any other in the series, relied on dialogue to carry it, and although the action scenes are excellent, they are not nearly as numerous as in the previous films.

Liked the romantic tone of the film. Most of us have been waiting to see that on screen since the first book. Emma Watson especially excelled in this area with her performance.

Jim Broadbent was great as Slughorn, although much like the Umbridge character in "OOTP", the film character did not match the physical description of the one in the book.

Alan Rickman was brilliant as always, and the film is worth the price of admission to see him alone. Very glad "HBP" gave him the opprtunity to expand his role.

The kids they got to play young Tom Riddle were fabulous.

I did NOT like the way they handled the aftermath of Dumbledore's murder. The reactions were pretty reserved considering the magnitude of the situation. Semmed kind of unfeeling, as I was expecting a VERY emotional ending to the film.

I don't bat for the other team or anything, but I have to say Dan Radcliffe is a much better looking guy WITH glasses than he is without. Anyone else think this?

Overall, I thought the film was very good. Not sure where I'd rank it in the series at this point after only one viewing, but definitely well made and worth seeing.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:50 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Interesting responses. I was quite pleased with this one, moreso than Order of the Phoenix. I personally thought they cut out things that weren't necessary to the overall story, and by that I mean the story going on in the movies. Let's be real; what's going on in the movies is not the REAL story. I'm curious as to what storylines you all think should have been included. Personally, I'm glad the ghod-awful backstory of Tom Riddle, the Gaunts, and the Riddles were left out. I'm hoping the Dumbledore backstory will be left out the upcoming movies also.

The only storyline that I think was vital was the Snape/Lily backstory, but I can't recall if that was this book or the next. Either way, it really isn't necessary until the next book.

I also agree that by moving Half Blood Prince from last November to July killed the momentum. But the next 2 movies are booth going to be released in the next 18 months.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I thought the "HBP" was pretty good, and yes, I have read all the books. I am seeing the usual complaints about aspects being left out, but you guys have to realize that it's impossible to cram all of that stuff into a 2 and a half hour film. That said, certain things many of you have pointed out would have been better off being included in place of others that made the final cut.

These next comments may contain *SPOILERS*

The opening scene was eye popping, particularly the way they made the camera fly through the streets of London. Very cool.
Okay, that part I do agree was very cool. But I was NOT happy with the scene which followed it. Why did they have Dumbledore and Harry getting together at a muggle coffee shop, instead of at the Dursley's?

Quote:
I thought the whole love potion thing - especially where Ron was concerned - was WAY overdone. It was funny for a few minutes, but then it got old quick, and you could feel that vibe by the lack of response in the theater.
Actually, I thought that came off much better than I expected. And it also followed the book pretty closely as well.

Quote:
BTW, the final 2 films are slated for release in 2010 and '11, so it won't be that long of a wait.....unless WB screws the fans again by pushing back the dates the way they did with this one.
From something I read on-line a couple weeks ago, (if I read it correctly) they've been working on both of the final movies simultaneously - trying to get filming completed before some of the younger actors got to where they looked too old for the characters.

Quote:
This movie, more than any other in the series, relied on dialogue to carry it, and although the action scenes are excellent, they are not nearly as numerous as in the previous films.

Liked the romantic tone of the film. Most of us have been waiting to see that on screen since the first book. Emma Watson especially excelled in this area with her performance.

Jim Broadbent was great as Slughorn, although much like the Umbridge character in "OOTP", the film character did not match the physical description of the one in the book.

Alan Rickman was brilliant as always, and the film is worth the price of admission to see him alone. Very glad "HBP" gave him the opprtunity to expand his role.

The kids they got to play young Tom Riddle were fabulous.

I did NOT like the way they handled the aftermath of Dumbledore's murder. The reactions were pretty reserved considering the magnitude of the situation. Semmed kind of unfeeling, as I was expecting a VERY emotional ending to the film.

I don't bat for the other team or anything, but I have to say Dan Radcliffe is a much better looking guy WITH glasses than he is without. Anyone else think this?

Overall, I thought the film was very good. Not sure where I'd rank it in the series at this point after only one viewing, but definitely well made and worth seeing.

I do agree with most of the remainder of your comments, other than the underlined. The 'reserved reaction' is pretty much the same as it was in the book. Though I wish they had used the funeral, I know it would have added another 20 minutes at least to the film.

Another thing - where did that scene come from with the death eaters showing up at the Burrow and then the Burrow being burned? What are they going to do? Rebuild it for the next movie? (A large part of the final book takes place there!)

Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Interesting responses. I was quite pleased with this one, moreso than Order of the Phoenix. I personally thought they cut out things that weren't necessary to the overall story, and by that I mean the story going on in the movies. Let's be real; what's going on in the movies is not the REAL story. I'm curious as to what storylines you all think should have been included. Personally, I'm glad the ghod-awful backstory of Tom Riddle, the Gaunts, and the Riddles were left out. I'm hoping the Dumbledore backstory will be left out the upcoming movies also.

The only storyline that I think was vital was the Snape/Lily backstory, but I can't recall if that was this book or the next. Either way, it really isn't necessary until the next book.

I also agree that by moving Half Blood Prince from last November to July killed the momentum. But the next 2 movies are booth going to be released in the next 18 months.
Spoiler alert********

I thought leaving out the battle at the school was poor - did they really spend a full year trying to infiltrate the place just to break a few windows and leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies