Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Streamed The Assistant (2020) for $5.99 on Amazon. While I rated it 9/10, I kind of doubt many would enjoy this. It's my kind of film though as I don't put that much into endings. And, if you're not going to see it, spoilers don't matter: [ surprisingly, the entire film happens in one day, and you can't tie everything up in a neat bow anyway ]. Second best 2020 film I've seen so far, which has been hampered by covid19 of course.
We saw that —-
Thought the furtive nature of everyone’s behavior was a great filter the movie played through
And you have to wonder why she was hired if she “wasn’t his type”
Because she didn’t seem that inherently creative...
Plus
Spoiler
the fact that she was picking up his empty erection injections and stocking new ones was a prefect indication of what he was doing behind closed doors. She didn’t mention that at all when she was accosted by the attorney...bad plat omission...

Old 06-19-2020, 11:40 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
This is why people often read the book instead of watching the movie. Some movies perfectly catch the book.
I don't have the patience, tolerance, and drive to read most books. The main problem is I can't get in a reading mood. I put the blame straight on school. In different classes (but mainly English) we'd "read" a book in class. Once we finished the book, we'd see the movie. Sounds easy enough right, wrong. So the class would take turns reading aloud. That was fine, but the teachers did nothing but stop & go. A quiz or test after a chapter or two would be fine. But that wasn't what they did. It was more like two pages, then quiz. Another two pages, quiz. This didn't inspire interest in the books. Just a good source of
resentment. Now throw in your standard "book reports". It's a wonder any children keep reading.

FWIW the last book I read that I actually enjoyed was "Napalm & Silly Putty" by George Carlin.
"A River Runs Through It" is the only movie that I have interest in reading the source books.

__________________________________________________ __________________

I just watched Yesterday (2019), yesterday.

The basic plot was kinda predictable. But it flowed decently. IDK what the critics were drinking when they watched this movie, but the actor can't sing. The only thing "saving" this movie is the music.

The ending kinda just flopped, and you're left wondering wth is that it.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:48 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Green Book. Loved it.

Now my black friend is saying it is all lies. So I rushed to the internet to find out the truth.

The white family claims it is all true and the black family claims it is all lies.

I can't find the truth. There is so much noise on the internet, so many claims and counter-claims and agendas, it is frustrating. Was the movie more true than not or more lie than not? I will never know. It is impossible to know.

Thanks, Interwebs.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:50 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
I don't have the patience, tolerance, and drive to read most books. The main problem is I can't get in a reading mood. I put the blame straight on school. In different classes (but mainly English) we'd "read" a book in class. Once we finished the book, we'd see the movie. Sounds easy enough right, wrong. So the class would take turns reading aloud. That was fine, but the teachers did nothing but stop & go. A quiz or test after a chapter or two would be fine. But that wasn't what they did. It was more like two pages, then quiz. Another two pages, quiz. This didn't inspire interest in the books. Just a good source of
resentment. Now throw in your standard "book reports". It's a wonder any children keep reading.

FWIW the last book I read that I actually enjoyed was "Napalm & Silly Putty" by George Carlin.
"A River Runs Through It" is the only movie that I have interest in reading the source books.

__________________________________________________ __________________

I just watched Yesterday (2019), yesterday.

The basic plot was kinda predictable. But it flowed decently. IDK what the critics were drinking when they watched this movie, but the actor can't sing. The only thing "saving" this movie is the music.

The ending kinda just flopped, and you're left wondering wth is that it.
Well, there are readers and there are non-readers. Most women are readers. Most women are non-readers. I must be a hybrid or something as a man who likes to read.

It also takes time not being distracted. That is why reading is the first thing to go after the baby comes.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:02 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Stage Fright
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2190838/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

Normally, I don't go in for teen age slasher flicks, but this one is a RIOT! It has it all and then some. Ever watch the Sonny & Cher Show in the 70s? When they would do their mixed operas like a Japanese operar to C&W music? Well, you come to realize that is rather how it can be done in reality....and this movie points out just some of the possibilities.

I got heavily into this flick because I sort of saw myself in it. The lead and 2nd sort of resembled two of the actresses I went to school with.So I could be very meshed in the flick.

I guess since because I don't usually take in teenage slasher flicks, I didn't realize how close this one was until after the movie was over. "A bunch of teenagers go off to camp and....."

The connections are vast with suggestions and actual copies all along the way.From Foul Play to Garbage and more direct suggestions. To say nothing of the wild closing credits if you listen.

As to why I was watching it, another flick picked up a dolllar store, where for a buck, there wasn't much study but rather, "Oh this looks good, this one, that one," just snatch them up. Friday night is my horror night and out of the many, many DVD boxes sitting around, it got picked....and I'm glad it did.

If the purpose of a movie is to give a brief getaway, then this one makes the mark. 9.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:44 AM

560 posts, read 581,165 times
Leprechaun (1993) Warwick Davis Jennifer Aniston

Old 06-20-2020, 09:19 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Unforgiven (1992). It's a rewatch. ★★★★★

Old 06-20-2020, 06:00 PM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Just Mercy... Based on a true story starring Jamie Foxx

Pretty decent story but not relevant to whats happening today in society.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:24 PM

86 posts, read 36,925 times
The Man with Nine Lives 1940

He kills in the name of science...Tombs of ice for the living...Chambers of horror for the dead!

Dr. Leon Kravaal develops a potential cure for cancer, which involves freezing the patient. But an experiment goes awry when authorities believe Kravaal has killed a patient. Kravaal freezes the officials, along with himself. Years later, they are discovered and revived in hopes that Kravaal can indeed complete his cure. But human greed and weakness compound to disrupt the project.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind 1977

We are not alone

After an encounter with UFOs, a line worker feels undeniably drawn to an isolated area in the wilderness where something spectacular is about to happen.

The Imagemaker 1986

Roger Blackwell has been a media advisor to countless politicians: probably one too many. He is set on using his experience to make a film about manipulation of the media by unscrupulous politicos.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:57 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
King Arthur (2004)

Hmm, King Arthur so it has to be good. Not quite. Yes it has decent action scenes, but that doesn't save the dragged story line. The characters don't really stand apart from each other. The actors that play Arthur, Lancelot, Tristan, Gawain, and Galahad look to much a like for this style movie. It was filmed in a gritty look, so they are easy to lose track of. A little more talk about looks of characters. The two
Saxons Cerdic & Cynric looked like William Wallace's friend Hamish & his father from "Braveheart (1995)".

IMHO this was 2 hrs a poor story telling.

If you want a decent story of Arthur with better writing stick with First Knight (1995).
If you want some good battle scenes you can't miss with Braveheart (1995).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies