Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times

Advertisements

I went to see The Thing tonight at a drive-in theatre (last one in Southern California). Not too good of a movie. The original version with Kurt Russell was much better IMO.

-Cheers.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm having trouble finding a decent movie at the theaters to see. There really isn't a whole lot out there the last month. I saw The Way with Martin Sheen and that was very good, but I see nothing else I want to see listed lately. I think Hollywood needs to get its act together, and start making some decent films with decent talented actors.
You're spot on. So many of us feel your pain, Jimrob. But, when the demographics of movie going patrons is something like 14-25 yr old boys, the movies reflect their audience... sad for the rest of us. I'd rather see a good movie several times (hence my small but ever-growing DVD collection), than plonk myself in a theatre seat to see something where I know I'm going to roll my eyes 10 times & mumble "oh, come on" 1/2-dozen times during the first half hour.

Sadly, I can list far more movies I didn't like than ones I have. Even more sad, I'll bet most of us can. I hope there's an uprising of over-40s who begin making movies reflecting the ages of the majority of the US population & I don't mean ridiculously devoid but money making movies like Charlie's Angels & others produced by the reaching-40 Drew Barrymore. There have to be men & women who can produce, write and/or direct movies that will keep middle-agers like me in their seats rather than visiting the theatre & looking more forward to a good box of popcorn, or, more often than not, just avoiding the theatre all together.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Oxford Murders. Can't believe I watched the entire thing, even if I fast forwarded through much of the second last half. thought I had some heavy duty mental stimulation in store. I need that kind of shock treatment once and a while to wake me from my normal stupor, but nooooooo.

Source Code. Whee, this was exciting, sad, funny at times and I'm happy for that ending or I would have been depressed having watched it all the way through as well. That's a for this one.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
There ARE fabluous movies being made by independent film makers-it is the theaters that don't show them, as they are not written to bring in big bucks nor are they directed at teeny-boppers.

Larger cities have theatres that shows mostly/all independent films....otherwise, renting or watching online is the alternative. I have seen some awesome unknown/independent films on hulu.com and free as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You're spot on. So many of us feel your pain, Jimrob. But, when the demographics of movie going patrons is something like 14-25 yr old boys, the movies reflect their audience... sad for the rest of us. I'd rather see a good movie several times (hence my small but ever-growing DVD collection), than plonk myself in a theatre seat to see something where I know I'm going to roll my eyes 10 times & mumble "oh, come on" 1/2-dozen times during the first half hour.

Sadly, I can list far more movies I didn't like than ones I have. Even more sad, I'll bet most of us can. I hope there's an uprising of over-40s who begin making movies reflecting the ages of the majority of the US population & I don't mean ridiculously devoid but money making movies like Charlie's Angels & others produced by the reaching-40 Drew Barrymore. There have to be men & women who can produce, write and/or direct movies that will keep middle-agers like me in their seats rather than visiting the theatre & looking more forward to a good box of popcorn, or, more often than not, just avoiding the theatre all together.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Snow Falling on Cedars

beautiful film/story, starring Ethan Hawke

Free on hulu.com

Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
There ARE fabluous movies being made by independent film makers-it is the theaters that don't show them, as they are not written to bring in big bucks nor are they directed at teeny-boppers.

Larger cities have theatres that shows mostly/all independent films....otherwise, renting or watching online is the alternative. I have seen some awesome unknown/independent films on hulu.com and free as well!

This is absolutely true, there are some brilliant films out there, I used to watch them all the time, before I loss access to my senses. These types of films aren't widely advertised, but they're out there if you know where to look as mentioned by greatblueheron. The big production companies certainly aren't going to hand feed the good stuff to anyone, they are going to put the bucks behind their bottom line money makers, they could care less about anything else and why should they isn't it the way.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,880 times
Just watched Halloween. I can't believe it's still scary all this time later....Of course I watched it by myself. EEeeeekkk!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:18 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Hachiko: A Dog's Story.

Man, I'm not exactly the type that easily cries, but with this movie, I simply cried my eyes out. It's one of the most emotional and gut-wrenching movies I've ever seen. I think I was still sniffing half an hour after the movie finished or so. By far the best dog - movie I've ever seen.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:59 PM

Sex and lucia, Very facinating, I'm thinking way too erotic for most audiences. This is one that ticked me off at the end, not in a bad way, so much, I just should have been paying better attention and not so much comatozed on so much chocolate. If you don't care for sub titles and or excessisive nudity, leave this one off your list. To think, I almost didn't pick it up when I grabed the title mentioned below. made for a very interesting Sunday afternoon viewing.

Splice, Better than I thought it would be, seems for the first time I'm sidded with the rotten apple critics in giving it a movie audiences seemed to not like it so much, but I thought it was pretty decent for it's type of movie.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,789 times
The Hollow...love me some Nick Carter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies