Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 07:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
We had a marathon week watching all 4 seasons of "The Tudors" and although I had to skip a lot of graphic scenes due to the young ones, Jonathan Rhys Meyers' portrayal as king Henry the 8th was absolutely worth noting.
I don't have a TV so cheers for the reminder of this series... have never seen it, but Henry VIII is one of my favorites, as is Rhys Meyers. I'll check it out at the library, if possible, to see if I like it... if so, it shall be one of my new DVD collections.

Hope you had Happy Holidays, Ans! Happy New Year!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I don't have a TV so cheers for the reminder of this series... have never seen it, but Henry VIII is one of my favorites, as is Rhys Meyers. I'll check it out at the library, if possible, to see if I like it... if so, it shall be one of my new DVD collections.

It's definitely one of mine now. If you like Meyers, you'll like it, he got my attention especially toward the end, when Henry VIII was nearing his death...superb performance , reminding me of Richard Harris in the musical Camelot!

Have a stress-free and joyous New Year my friend!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times
Incredible Hulk. Last movie watched.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Captain America... Snooze, even though I feel asleep, I did like the way he handle that shield.

Gamer... I kind of enjoyed the action, not so much the acting.

The Bucket List... Sweet little movie

The Invention of Lying.... Some sad and LOL moments, that I'm glad I hung in there to see.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:42 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

Watch it here and enjoy!

Watch The Tudors Serie Online - Watch Series

Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times
I, Robot

Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
My parents and I went to see War Horse on Monday. This is Steven Spielberg's newest flick and it's already garnering Oscar buzz. I have no idea why, to be honest, unless it's just that it's a Spielberg movie and therefore the Oscar buzz is mandatory.

I wanted to see this when I first saw the trailer, but the reality.... Eek. I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

2 out of 5 stars for me.

Major spoilers about the movie below....
Spoiler

A lot of the scenes, particularly in the beginning, are beautiful: the bucolic English countryside makes you want to go for a visit ASAP. Just gorgeous. And really there aren't any BAD people in the movie. The main character of the movie is the horse, Joey, and he's surrounded throughout the film by caretakers who genuinely seem to care for him, which is nice to see. A couple of the human characters are maybe not-so-nice, but it's not a movie with a villain -- unless the villain is the war itself. I did notice that the only humans who were painted in a negative light were either Germans or aristocratic.)

There's a Saving Private Ryan-esque battle between the English and the Germans across No Man's Land. Maybe not as graphic as SPR, but still...high body count.

And there's an obligatory, Spielberg happy ending at the end. Yay. (Although his aesthetic choices for the final shots were jarring for me.)

But the reason I couldn't enjoy the movie is because it was just one harrowing scene after another. Poor Joey. I "watched" a lot of the movie with my eyes closed or my hands over my eyes. It was just so hard to watch what he was going through. Not just him, but the other war horses, too. He wasn't the only horse in this movie, of course. There were hundreds, and watching them die by the dozens -- from gunfire or overuse -- was painful.

On the one hand, Spielberg sort of anthropomorphized the main horse. He was intelligent, noble, compassionate, honorable...the finest horse in all the land. And that was fine with me. I was happy to buy into that, and buy into the loving relationship between Joey and his owner, Albert. Between Joey and all the people who had the care and keeping of him, really. But on the other hand, the other horses were portrayed as expendable cattle. I couldn't root for Joey and yet remain unaffected by the dozens of other animals dying grisly and wasteful, painful deaths. There's a scene after a disastrous cavalry charge that shows literally dozens of horses lying slain on the battlefield. (Maybe it says bad things about me, but I felt worse about the loss of equine life than I did about the loss of human life in that scene. The men enlisted willingly or were professional soldiers. The animals were hapless victims.) In another scene, we're shown a large grave holding dozens of dead horses. We see a horse buckle under the strain of pulling cannon, so the German officer in charge matter-of-factly shoots him in the head, while other solders pull the now-dead horse out of the line and off to the side and replace him with another candidate who maybe will be a bit luckier. The barbed-wire scene near the end of the movie almost had me hyperventilating in the chair. If I'd been in the privacy of my own home, I would have been sobbing noisily, but instead I was just gritting my teeth and trying to control my weeping. (It wasn't the good kind of movie-theatre crying, either. By that scene, I was so worn out by the horrors poor Joey experienced that I felt truly angry.) Actually, if I'd been watching the movie in the privacy of my own home, I would have turned it off long before the barbed-wire scene happened.

My mother left the theatre with 20 or 30 minutes still in the movie and didn't return, and when we joined her in the car afterwards, she was still seething. She deemed the movie "malicious." It was just too much for her to watch. My father enjoyed it, however. I think he liked the overall story and I don't think he was bothered by the collateral damage. It's just a movie, after all -- not real. I didn't hate the movie but I definitely didn't enjoy it, and I would never want to see it again.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times
Carlito's Way (1993) starring Al Pacino and Sean Penn.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,432 times
Just saw an interesting German vampire movie: "We are the night", it is available on Netflix streaming. I felt that it was nicely executed, although the story was nothing extraordinary, just a nicely acted, decent movie. Only thing I hated about it was it was dubbed in English. I would rather watch it in Geman with English subtitles. Dubbing a foreign movie to suit the viewer's interests takes away from the "essence" of the movie in my opinion.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Twight: Breaking Dawn. Had forgotten that I went to see this movie a few weeks ago with a younger friend. Let me say that I saw the first Twilight movie and thought it was excellent. The Breaking Dawn movie seemed to have slid down a few notches in quality, etc. I wasn't bored, but the movie seemed to take a long time to say just a few things...it was stretched thin...and didn't think the quality was the same. Possibly if you are a Twilight fan you will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies