Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
PatanjaliTwist
I am glad to help and may I suggest that you use Firefox to view the series or any of the series on the site?
You're not the first to tell me to migrate over from... <clears throat> Internet Explorer ... so, it's a great suggestion. I do watch some of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart episodes on Comedy Central & tire of the freezes, commercials in loops or having to reload the page to begin again. Good advice! I'm recovering from surgery, so need a few diversions to occupy my time so I'm overjoyed for the link you provided.

Quote:
I have watched Every episode of Bones and House on the site and .. It's the best!
Very good. I'm sure I'll find a few others to watch, as well. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol. Saw it today and it was the first movie I have seen in a theater in many months. It got very good reviews so I was lured to the theater to see it. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it that much. Story was too confusing to me and the actions scenes toward the end were like the Perils of Pauline, just when you thought there couldn't be another life threatening complication... bam!, another death defying act. Just OK

Old 01-04-2012, 04:31 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
In the last two weeks :

"Puss in Boots 3D" -Not as good as I expected and I wish I could have seen it in 2D. The 3D made it almost impossible to enjoy. I was expecting a better storyline, it seemed a bit thin.

"Hugo"- Same as above. The 3D ( forced upon me by our local cinema ridiculous schedules) ruined a film which for all I know could have been brilliant. It looked like it could have been a ravishing film though the plot was a little to "forced" IMO.

I loathe 3D. To me it is just a gimmick which makes potentially good films look like pop up books. It is about as realistic as a video game.

"Sherlock Holmes"- One of the dullest, most abysmally boring films I have seen in years. Both Hubby and I felt like leaving after about 20 minutes and regretted not doing so. A teenage boy next to us was actually asleep though it. Horrid nasty looking special effects ( video games again) , silly fight sequences and a tedious plot. All in all a disaster. How anyone can spend that amount of money making a film which is so bad is beyond me. The first one I had expected to be dreadful but was OK so we gave this one a chance. It had no redeeming features. Such a fine actor as Robert Downey Jr is wasted in this kind of bottom of the barrel material.

"Dirty Dancing" - First time I saw this and found it quite boring and a let down after all the hype. OK but nothing special. I am astonished it is considered such a classic. Meh.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Girlfight.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My son and I went to Mission Impossible 4 on Friday. A GREAT movie and I'm not really a Tom Cruise fan at all.

I highly recommend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol. Saw it today and it was the first movie I have seen in a theater in many months. It got very good reviews so I was lured to the theater to see it. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it that much. Story was too confusing to me and the actions scenes toward the end were like the Perils of Pauline, just when you thought there couldn't be another life threatening complication... bam!, another death defying act. Just OK
We saw Mission Impossible last night, and we liked it. Not really a big fan of Tom Cruise any more after all of his antics, but I think he did a good job in this movie...I believe I read that he did all of his stunts. If so, I'm VERY impressed.

Agree that it was a little tough at times to keep up with the story, but the high tech elements and gadgets were clever and imaginative. Liked the other members of the Mission Impossible Team too. If you want a movie with PLENTY of action, this one's for you. Two thumbs up!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Larry Crowne - okay but rather boring.
A Perfect Getaway - okay but I expected more suspense.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
"500 days of summer". I saw it after many people told me how wonderful and funny this movie was... aaaand I didn't like it. It's not the typical movie because used flash backs and racconti, but still "another chick flick" with a predictable end.

I also watched "The Human Centipede". It was very slow and boring. The disgusting parts didn't justify all the boredom LOL. I don't think I'll watch the 2nd part, even when it's supposed to be "so controversial" and "over the top".

Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

162 posts, read 458,964 times
The Adventures of Tintin - fun and entertaining, I remember reading these as a child

MI: Ghost Protocol - a little over the top as usual, but quite enjoyable

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - wonderful acting and directing with a great cast, I really liked it as I am a huge Oldman fan

Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
Mission Impossible: GP - I enjoyed every minute of it.

The Decendants - I actually liked this movie. It was a movie for the older crowd for sure but I still enjoyed it. I do not get what all the hate is about.

Contagion - I REALLY REALLY like this movie. It is one of my favorites. I have always liked those "Doomsday" type movies like 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow. But what I loved most about this film is how realistic it is. This could actually happen in real life.

Horrible Bosses: I actually thought this was as funny as The Hangover movie. I very much liked it.

J. Edgar: I had no idea what this movie was about going in, but I thought it looked really good so I watched and it was not bad at all. I didn't mind the gay scenes either like I wasn't grossed out or anything. That part actually took me for surprise cause I did not know that his character was gay

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
New Year's Day we saw "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Once again, we got the last 2 seats in a packed theatre... I believe next holiday, one of us needs to buy the other a watch so we can arrive places on time... geesh.

Brilliant thinking man's film of the old fashioned spy thriller ilk we so love... how I adore UK films. Gary Oldman cleverly underplays George Smiley with claustrophobic body language, cautious voice, shaved back hairline, pasty dry makeup & emphasized wrinkles to play older/duller/beaten down, but, sharp, young eyes which reveal his wheel-churning mind is miles ahead of his adversaries & anyone else in the mix.

All the actors were brilliant. Some are newer, some well known & some I've seen in riviting roles in indie films. If you liked the old PBS series, you'll love it. If you like double crosses, double agents, surprising details, fast intelligent dialogue & a script which hides or implies meaning like the agents themselves, you'll adore it. I must admit (& we're no dummies), we did miss a few things & had to return home to read a synopsis of the film to find out "Why did she say/do xxx...?" or "What was he referring to when he said...?" I recommend reading a review first, so it's easier to follow along with code names, as a small example. The film just uses them, assuming the audience follows. Depending upon how well you remember the book or the series, reading a synopsis AFTER viewing the film to put some of the quickly skimmed-over details in prospective will greatly benefit. The mini-series had plenty of time for small reveals. This movie, although 2-hrs, had to rush some points along.

The movie is shot in style of the old espionage movies of the Cold War gone by. There is a lot of meaning & info dispensed with furtive glances, tight lips, face twitches or almost undiscernable gestures, so leaving the theatre for a quick trip to the restroom or for a box of Good 'n Plenty might leave you lost upon returning.

Although I wouldn't necessarily call it an action film, there are plenty of surprises which will make you jump in your seat. The cinematography is gorgeous, smart, dark, cold & different... the camera almost spies on the scenery/people, slides over a bldg or sneaks around a doorway as if attempting to hide... & this film managed to maintain an air of suspense all the way through. Not uncomfortably so as in a hacker-slasher-masher movie, but in a way that one really doesn't always know who is the good guy/girl/organization & who is not... is it a set up or not... is this what I think it is or not.

We ferociously dismantled the movie all the way home (in a good way)... trying to find hidden/extra/correct angles on meaning, characters, dialogue, etc. After reading the synopsis to fill in some of the details we missed, we both decided we needed to see it again in the theatre. So much is done with reading faces or small, seemingly insignificant nuances the audience must pick up (it's not all neatly spelled out for us), I simply cannot imagine that a small screen could do this film justice. It's one of the best films we've seen in a long time. Although, we've seen great movies multiple times on DVD, we've never before returned to the theatre to pay to see a movie more than once.

5 stars for sure!
You got me excited about this movie but I'll wait awhile when I can free-download it. Sounds like a movie for my collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies