Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times

Advertisements

Trade (2007)-a film by German producer/screenwriter Marco Kreutzpaintner, in which the subject is a human trafficking ring from Mexico City to New Jersey, with links to the Russian Mob. The movie starts out in Mexico City where two foreign women, from Brazil and Poland respectively exit an airplane. They then find themselves at the mercy of cunning human traffickers who had promised them jobs in the U.S. and now hold their passports and their futures in their hands.

A little later, a poor girl from Mexico City is abducted in the early morning while riding her brand-new bicycle from her brother that her mother had forbidden her to ride. Her brother soon discovers that members of a Russian enclave in town are responsible and sets out by himself to trail them and get his younger sister back.

At a Juarez stashhouse, the brother, Jorge, sneaks into the trunk of an undercover Texas cop who has been investigating the long-time disappearance of his own daughter, which he traced to that same house. The cop appears to think nothing of the horror that lies ahead of him after he agrees to help the illegal-immigrant boy track his sister who is headed to New Jersey to be sold off forever. Along the way they uncover a world of horrific child abuse and unscrupulous internet auctions.

This movie, though fiction, is a jarring look into the sordid underworld of human trafficking that will change your perspective completely. This movie literally changed my life. I'll never look at the world around me quite the same and not many movies have that power.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Keep your reviews coming, I do enjoy reading your take on the movies.
Cheers for the kind words, TR.

Well, here's another I had to mull over for a few days because I wasn't sure if I liked it or not as the ending initially left me feeling tepid. I watched Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles, a documentary about a group of young lads who are compelled to find the reason strange, homemade tiles began appearing in Philadelphia, several US states & several places in S. America 30-yrs ago. They are still appearing, seemingly out of nowhere, to this day.

No witnesses have ever seen who/what places these tiles, all carved with some apocolyptic message regarding Jupiter & raising the dead & a few with eerie, threatening messages. Is it metaphysical & supernatural or some scary group or entity who embeds these tiles onto streets & highway ramps then disappears in the blink of an eye before anyone can ever spot them/it? The closest call is during filming, one of the filmmakers walked to a nearby store in the dead of night & across an empty street, which upon returning home 5-min later, walked over the same spot which now held an imbedded tile. He heard nothing, saw nothing in any direction for blocks & blocks... no person/s or being/s could possibly have done this right outside the store, whilst he was inside.

The conspiracies have been circulating for years... strangely, I'd never heard of them, but once I began researching a bit, found it a fascinating subject. Not only that, I know I've stepped over a few of them, I think in Boston, but had no idea what they were.

The filmmakers have unravelled the mystery in the end... sort of, 99.99% chance it's correct & you'll see why if you watch this film which won the Director's Award at last year's Sundance. The lads are serene, gentle souls, all as quirky & unusual as the tiles they're detecting. This factors into the strange way I felt tepid at the ending. A purposeful choice of release that at first made me want to scream at the filmmaker, "What are you doing?!!!" I had to let it sink in & after a few days, I get it. I finally get it... the filmmaker's choice was decent & right, a most loving act.

If you're not interested in a documentary or this particular one, do yourself a favor & just look up the Wiki info on the tiles. I think the pics & sayings on each tile will prompt you into not being able to miss this surprising & deeply fascinating docu.

5 out of 5 stars... & then 2 more!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,635 times
Last night watched Final Destination 5, same story as the rest of them but still had some good moments . The part where the screw falls on the balance beam was freaky!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Ted.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Savages.

It was interesting, Salma Hayek and Benecio Del Toro definitely played their parts well. It was confusing at times, and had some truly messed up moments, but all in all a good film.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
The Three Stooges. What a crappy remake

Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 AM

12 posts, read 15,860 times
Default what is the last movie you have watched?

"The Avengers"..."The Avengers" Joss Whedon has made the best superhero action adventure film I have seen in years. I will never forget this movie.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 813 times
man on a ledge is one cool movie.it was very unpredictable!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM

668 posts, read 994,485 times
Just came back from watching The Intouchables. Much better than I was expecting, and you can see why it was a big hit in France.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Just watched the original Superman movie with Christopher Reeves. Very awesome!

Also watched 'Under Siege' with Steven Segal. A cool movie but the only good Segal movie in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies