Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Am currently watching House of Cards on Netflix with Kevin Spacey. Very interesting. I have seen up to Episode 5 and will finish the others soon. It left me feeling a little slimey, to tell the truth and was almost too much for one sitting. But, I will finish it and it appears there will be a 2nd season. I really, really liked Robin Wright. that is my first time seeing her act. She is very cold.
Thanks for the mention, Annie. Never heard of this & I love Spacey. I watched a quick trailer on YTube & it does look very good, so I'll give it a whirl. I wonder how much of it implies what really goes on in politics?! Speculation is his character might be Ken Delay or LBJ.

Netflix Original Series House of Cards - Trailer - HD - YouTube

The only negative which stuck out was Spacey's not-so-convincing southern drawl. I've lived in the Carolinas & this doesn't sound like a good present day representation to me (sounds more Civil War era to me, unless this series is a period piece & I didn't catch that)... although I'm in the minority as reviewers said his accent was mesmerizing. I know he's an amazing mimic, so I guess I'll have to just watch an episode to let it sink in. What did you think of his/their accents?

Here's a good synopsis, in of all places, GQ Magazine. Netflix reports it to be their most watched program.

House Of Cards on Netflix review: how believable is it? - GQ.COM (UK)

I'm glad to see Kevin back, nonetheless. Haven't seen him in years & was wondering if he was still immersed in theatre, since he purchased the Old Vic in England & has been teaching/producing stage acting:

Kevin Spacey to leave the Old Vic theatre with £20million - Telegraph

Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,079 times
I just finished "The Trip" It was very funny.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Saw this last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Just watched Tyler Perry's movie Temptation. I enjoyed it
My husband and I both went to see TP's Temptation and we loved it. I won't give it away but it's something you really think about after it's over.

We also just saw The Company You Keep with Robert Redford. Very good also. Won't give away that ending either.

Plan to see 42 (next week - sell out here this weekend) and The Place Beyond The Pines. The movies haven't been so great until a week ago. My husband is a movie nut and must see a movie every week not including the Netflix, the DVDs at home LOL.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
thx for all this info on Spacey and the series. I had thought I would look up his current info but never got around to it. The accent is geniune for an, supposed to be upper class, south Carolinian and he uses that drawl to perfection in his slimy way. Very dated, very courtly, very "bless the heart" accent.

I thought it was based on LBJ from what I have read, so far, in that epic look at LBJ by robert Caro.

I am off to read the link you provided about the Old Vic. I wondered if he would be leaving.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Thanks for the mention, Annie. Never heard of this & I love Spacey. I watched a quick trailer on YTube & it does look very good, so I'll give it a whirl. I wonder how much of it implies what really goes on in politics?! Speculation is his character might be Ken Delay or LBJ.

Netflix Original Series House of Cards - Trailer - HD - YouTube

The only negative which stuck out was Spacey's not-so-convincing southern drawl. I've lived in the Carolinas & this doesn't sound like a good present day representation to me (sounds more Civil War era to me, unless this series is a period piece & I didn't catch that)... although I'm in the minority as reviewers said his accent was mesmerizing. I know he's an amazing mimic, so I guess I'll have to just watch an episode to let it sink in. What did you think of his/their accents?

Here's a good synopsis, in of all places, GQ Magazine. Netflix reports it to be their most watched program.

House Of Cards on Netflix review: how believable is it? - GQ.COM (UK)

I'm glad to see Kevin back, nonetheless. Haven't seen him in years & was wondering if he was still immersed in theatre, since he purchased the Old Vic in England & has been teaching/producing stage acting:

Kevin Spacey to leave the Old Vic theatre with £20million - Telegraph
eta: the article said he was appointed in 2003 ? Has he been out of Hollywood that long ?

eta2: think Lindsey Graham for accent not quite so theatrical.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Might have to check out House of Cards; it sounds interesting.

Last movie I watched was something called "Shooter" on TNT today. Last movie I saw in the theater was "Dark Shadows".

Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
thx for all this info on Spacey and the series.
Very welcome.

Quote:
The accent is geniune for an, supposed to be upper class, south Carolinian and he uses that drawl to perfection in his slimy way. Very dated, very courtly, very "bless the heart" accent. eta2: think Lindsey Graham for accent not quite so theatrical.
Thanks for that, Annie... it's probably what you've indicated. Very astute. I don't know who Graham is so googled him & found a YT vid. His accent is slightly more 'upper crust' than what I heard whilst living in the south, but not so much that I'd find it vastly different than his neighbors. With the small Spacey clip I saw, it's not the accent itself, but the long drawl he manufactures which is off-putting & a bit unrealistic sounding (at least I never heard anyone drag & drawl like that in 6-yrs living & visiting all over the southeast) & it's a common faux pas (imho) in movies where someone tries to imitate a New Orleans accent. Actors overdo that slow 'ye-us suuh' thing & modern day characters sound as if they wear hoop skirts.

It's just a short clip & perhaps I didn't get the full impact... I think you're probably right in indicating it might be more a feature of his smarmy character. Similarly, I lived in Boston for a long time. NO ONE has the Kennedy accent, except them. It's sort of quasi-Boston blue blood boarding school meets inner-city Hyde Pk hybrid. No one can place it as being from any exact part of town... no one else speaks like them... it's a Kennedy clan anomaly. Because of that, it's a hard accent for actors to imitate, at least of the few impersonations I've seen.

BTW, Spacey is one of my favorite mimics, as well as actors, so perhaps I misjudged too quickly. As a fan, you've probably seen this clip, but if you haven't, it's utterly brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKDKAKNH-k

Quote:
eta: the article said he was appointed in 2003 ? Has he been out of Hollywood that long ?
Once again I'm wrong. I could have sworn I'd read that he'd purchased the Vic & would be acting as director, too. Perhaps I misunderstood & had read that he'd put up some of his money to fund it? In any event, I found an interesting 2006 article on how he struggled to turn it around & how it's owned by a trust:

Nor, he is equally keen to stress, is the Old Vic chief executive (read: Spacey) Sally Greene’s plaything. “I love it how sometimes I read in the paper that Sally Greene owns the Old Vic Theatre,” he continues. “She doesn’t own the Old Vic Theatre, she is the chairman of a trust. It is owned by a charitable trust. And what’s wrong with that is that it leaves the impression that the theatre is her toy and it’s not.”

So, Mervyn, tell us more about the need for austerity... - Chit Chat - The Stage

So far today, I've gotten nothing right, no matter what I've touched... I believe I shall retire to my quarters (said in that drawn out Spacey drawl)... haha

Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband and I both went to see TP's Temptation and we loved it. I won't give it away but it's something you really think about after it's over.
I felt the same way. I know some people complain about Perry's movies being too preachy; but this one really felt honest to me. I know so many people who have lived through this same scenario without all the money and glamor. I love Jurnee as an adult.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 AM

171 posts, read 311,273 times
Watched 007's skyfall. Decent movie. Couple of cool action scenes. At least it accomplished a couple of shakeups and introduced a couple of new characters. But ok overall.

The time travelers wife. Sad movie. But a good one. Wife cried about 5-6 times during the movie. Liked how it was not one of those you can change your own timeline movies. He traveled in his own timeline. Gotta read the book.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
The Girl Next Door based on the book by Jack Ketchum.

Good movie and great acting but very disturbing. I doubt I will watch it again.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 AM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
Ek Tha Tiger is a romantic thriller which tells the story of a Trinity College scientist suspected of selling missile technology secrets to Pakistan
Directed by Kabir Khan. Starring Ranvir Shorey, Salman Khan.

We enjoyed the movie and the music was pretty good too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.