Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times

Advertisements

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", the James Stewart classic. It shows how little things have changed in criminal government politics.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
"The Words," with Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Dennis Quaid, Olivia Wilde, and Jeremy Irons. "Decent" to "good" movie, I enjoyed it, though it was nothing special. interesting story that's worth watching at least once.

As an aspiring author, I thought the movie was one of the best of 2012! Definitely top 10, along with The Master, Flight, Lincoln, Argo, and other such films.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
" Wolf" with Jack Nicholson. Hard to believe this passed for " scary" back in the days. Jack's voice volume in his dialogue almost put me to sleep, and Michelle Pfeiffer probably wanted to forget this one. When Jack changed into the wolf man-thingy, he looked like what I might imagine Wolverine might look like in his golden years. Pass this one up.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
My 8 year old son and I watched Iron Man 3 in 3D the day it opened. I left work early so that we could get to the theatre by 4:30 for a 5:10 showing. My wife had purchased tickets allready for us. Turns out that only about 50 people were there. About half of those people had arrived earlier than us. Funny thing is that when we got out of the movie they had this long line of people in the lobby waiting for something. Turns out that they were all waiting to see Iron Man 3 and they had to reserve the tickets. The next two showings were sold out. I knew that the 9pm showing was sold out. One of our 15 year olds and a friend had tickets for that showing. My wife had bought those earlier in the day when she picked up our tickets. She was asked at the time she bought the tickets what seats she would like, because all seats would be reserved for the 9pm showing. When we left the theatre complex the outside was full of people waiting for later showings of Iron Man 3.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My 8 year old son and I watched Iron Man 3 in 3D the day it opened. I left work early so that we could get to the theatre by 4:30 for a 5:10 showing. My wife had purchased tickets allready for us. Turns out that only about 50 people were there. About half of those people had arrived earlier than us. Funny thing is that when we got out of the movie they had this long line of people in the lobby waiting for something. Turns out that they were all waiting to see Iron Man 3 and they had to reserve the tickets. The next two showings were sold out. I knew that the 9pm showing was sold out. One of our 15 year olds and a friend had tickets for that showing. My wife had bought those earlier in the day when she picked up our tickets. She was asked at the time she bought the tickets what seats she would like, because all seats would be reserved for the 9pm showing. When we left the theatre complex the outside was full of people waiting for later showings of Iron Man 3.
Always go to a movie as early as possible! The later it gets the more teens!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Always go to a movie as early as possible! The later it gets the more teens!
Quoted for truth.

Nothing can ruin anything faster than a group of teenagers.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Quoted for truth.

Nothing can ruin anything faster than a group of teenagers.
I would almost put my life on the line if you went to the 7 or 9pm showing that 80% would be teens. Throw in 20-25 year olds and it is probably 90% or more on a weekend.

Go to a matinee at 3:30pm on a Wednesday and you will see retired folks and people who just happen to have off Wednesday as their typical days off.

Its as if these teens just come out of the "wood work" as if their some alien creatures. I was a teen though....I did exactly the same.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
As an aspiring author, I thought the movie was one of the best of 2012! Definitely top 10, along with The Master, Flight, Lincoln, Argo, and other such films.
I've avoided, but have in the back of my mind thought of watching this movie. Reading what You and Skins_fan have posted, I think I'll give it a try.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I watched The Impossible the other night. Excellent movie. Yikes! I was so nervous even though I knew how it ended. Exceptional acting.
I saw it this week. Wow, easily one of the best I've seen in the past year!
Way better, imo, than Argo. (I can't help but compare the two because they're both dramatized depictions of actual events.)
There was a lot of controversy about the family being changed from Spanish to Anglo-Saxon British, supposedly just to up the box office factor.
I understand why that bothers people, and I'd have been happy with a Spanish cast. But from all accounts the family was okay with it. Further, it was a Spanish production with a nearly all-Spanish crew.

Naomi Watts was incredible in the lead, totally deserved the Oscar nomination. Tom Holland, the young actor who played the older son, should have gotten a supporting-actor nomination.
Great special effects.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:18 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
"Wolf" with Jack Nicholson. Hard to believe this passed for "scary" back in the days. Jack's voice volume in his dialogue almost put me to sleep, and Michelle Pfeiffer probably wanted to forget this one.
Interesting that I tried to watch this last week & reached the 10-min mark... my eye rolling was beginning to give me a headache. You're exactly right, this film is so dated it was funny & I too felt as if Jack were sleepwalking through his role.

The worst... swirling music in older movies always ruins the experience for me. If the dialogue or acting doesn't clue one in as to what's going on or the emotion in the scene & music is needed to supplement, better writers or actors are needed. I realize it is in part just the style of the time, but, I prefer this new trend of little to no soundtrack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies