Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,050 times

Advertisements

In theatre, I saw Hobbit with my nerdy GF

On my computer, I saw Resident Evil, Resident Evil Apocalypse, and Resident Evil Extinction. Soon to watch the last two, hopefully

Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
The Fly (1986) Cronenberg's grotesque and tragic story of a scientist making a life altering mistake is still jarring. The scene where the Jeff Goldblum undergoes his final transition from man to monster is better then any CGI we have now. It was hard effects back then with latex, puppetry etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
We saw American Hustle last night. My wife and I both thought it was very well done. Good performances from all the actors, including the smaller roles (Richard Harrow from Boardwalk Empire as a Mafia guy and even Todd, the next-door neighbor from Christmas Vacation, in a small but important role). The top four or so, though, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, and Jennifer Lawrence, were great. (Props for Outstanding Accomplishments in Costume Engineering for Amy Adams's dresses!) And the movie did a good job of putting you back in the times.
I agree with your observations...and would like to give props to Jeremy Renner and Louis C.K. as well.

I didn't notice Nicholas Guest (Christmas Vacation) listed as being in this movie. Are you talking about the Carl Elway character? He was played by Shea Whigham (also from Boardwalk Empire):

5 'Boardwalk Empire' Stars You Didn't Notice in This Year's Prestige Dramas - Beyond the Box Office - Zimbio

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I agree with your observations...and would like to give props to Jeremy Renner and Louis C.K. as well.

I didn't notice Nicholas Guest (Christmas Vacation) listed as being in this movie. Are you talking about the Carl Elway character? He was played by Shea Whigham (also from Boardwalk Empire):

5 'Boardwalk Empire' Stars You Didn't Notice in This Year's Prestige Dramas - Beyond the Box Office - Zimbio
No, I was wrong. My wife thought she recognized Todd, but it was actually someone about twenty years younger, Alessandro Nivola, playing Anthony Amado.

Good catch on Shea Whigham. We thought he looked like Steve Zahm.

I completely agree with you about Jeremy Renner and Louis C.K.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,036 times
Blackfish. A shoe in for Best Documentary at the Oscars, and adds more fuel to my desire to secede from society and avoid other people.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
On Netflix last nigh "Maximum Conviction" a 2012 action thriller starring Steven Seagal and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and directed by Keoni Waxman. It was sort of alright...lots of shooting

Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Blackfish. A shoe in for Best Documentary at the Oscars, and adds more fuel to my desire to secede from society and avoid other people.
I hope a lot of people see this show and actually act, simply and easily by refusing to go to (any) captive animal show. I haven't been to a zoo since I went as a kid. The whole swimming with dolphin thing makes me ill. Its not like it takes money or protesting or time, just a simple refusal to participate.
History says it won't make a dent, and I feel like seceding too.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I hope a lot of people see this show and actually act, simply and easily by refusing to go to (any) captive animal show. I haven't been to a zoo since I went as a kid. The whole swimming with dolphin thing makes me ill. Its not like it takes money or protesting or time, just a simple refusal to participate.
History says it won't make a dent, and I feel like seceding too.
The thing that really got me was when that tatted-up sailor said he'd been a soldier of fortune in two Latin American revolutions and had seen some messed up stuff, but the whale capture was the worst thing he'd ever done.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 PM

486 posts, read 831,925 times
The Guilt Trip with Barbra Streisand. She did a great job as the helicopter mother. But the rest of the movie was OK at best.

What to expect when expecting. For a chick flick it was watchable since it had a number of funny scenes.

The longest yard Adam Sander printing some money but for some reason I like watching it.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Default Saving Mr. Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Saw "Saving Mr. Banks" at a real live movie theater yesterday! And LOVED it! Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and others were terrific and the story line (based n a true story) was fascinating.
Ditto! I thought this movie would be a sweet little story about Mary Poppins. Instead, it was an insightful look at P. L. Travers life (author of "Mary Poppins") and also a bit about Walt Disney's past. Emma Thompson was wonderful land Tom Hanks very believable as Walt Disney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.