Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:11 AM

837 posts, read 1,700,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonhead View Post
Julia Child was a known outspoken homophobe in her day. I won't be supporting this movie...as much as I love Meryl Streep.
I didn't know that, but the fact is, with few exceptions, everyone was homophobic in her day. Time marches on, we get educated and think differently about a lot of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 03:23 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,433,108 times
I just got back from seeing it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad they put in the stuff about Julia not liking the blog as leaving it out would've made the movie too good to be true, but I think leaving it in showed Julia as a human being with real likes and dislikes and it showed Julie as being strong enough to rise above her idol's somewhat clay feet.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 PM

71 posts, read 108,116 times
I used to watch Julia Child too. learned a bit about cooking, or at least i like to think i picked up a few tips.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,400,909 times
Well, we saw Julie & Julia last night, and it was every bit as good as everyone (including the reviewers) said it would be. Meryl Streep has always been one of my favorite actresses, and she did not disappoint...she absolutely nailed Jula Child. Enjoyed Stanley Tucci also...he and Meryl were wonderfully believable as a totally devoted couple. The rest of us should only be so lucky. <sigh>

Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM

298 posts, read 1,007,425 times
Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. My only bugbear was how loud they all ate and everyone talked with their mouth full. That bruschetta scene

Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,211,864 times
Am looking forward to seeing this......

Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,803 times
Hi Guys,

This movie is really awesome.This is [FONT=Verdana]documentary [/FONT]movie[FONT=Verdana].[/FONT] This movie is based on[FONT=Verdana] two women. I love movie scripting.I watched this movie on a website.This movie is really fantastic. I like this movie. [/FONT]

Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,912,169 times
Just saw it last night and really liked it. Meryl Streep is fabulous, as usual. Someday, I'd like to have that best-friend type of relationship she (Julia) and Julie have with their respective husbands.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM

13 posts, read 22,416 times
I know, this review coming from a "Guy", but I just had to see this movie, and I LOVED IT!!! Meryl Streep was totally believable in this role, she completely nailed it! And I love Amy since seeing her in "Enchanted" (and NO, I'm not gay!!!!!) hehehehehehehe
I was totally disappointed in the end with Julia hated Julie's blog and all the attention she was getting, it was so sad! But that happens sometime when a star thinks that someone is trying to steal her "Thunder". Anyway, LOVED it, and cannot wait for the DVD to come out, definately going in my collection!

Bill

Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM
'M'

1,954 posts, read 3,179,594 times
True, this movie wasn't solely about Julia...and it was a wonderful movie for many reasons...romantic, positive and upbeat, very funny, and lots of cooking. It would be great to have a biographical movie about Julia...wouldn't be surprised if one wasn't already in the works. Since I'm in the process of moving this month, the first dish I'm making in my new kitchen is the Beouf Bourguignon. Can hardly wait....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies