Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

I used to go to the movies a lot - once a week or at least every other week. I used to look forward to the previews. When I stopped going to the movies for a period (too many other things going on) I fell off the movie planet. I didn't look forward to movies because I didn't know what was coming out. Now there are movies that are 1 and 2 in box office that I never heard of. They obviously don't advertise during TV shows I watch

My question for people who don't go to the theater at all or a lot - Do you even know what movies are coming out?

The other thing, I am now outside the target demo. That doesn't mean my money isn't just as green as some teenager's. If you tell me the whole summer "isn't for me" so I don't go, then how do I know, when Fall rolls around, which movies I might want to see? In other words, if I'm not watching previews at the theater all summer then how do I know what to see in the Fall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
I don't ever go to the movies. The last movie I saw was StarWars (whatever the final episode was called). That's the only movie I've seen this decade, I think. I don't like the movie theater. It's too anti-social for me. I like to be able to talk to people. I get restless.

My brother, however, loves going to the movies and sees just about every movie that comes out. I think he likes the un-social aspect of standing in line with people and sitting with them, but not having to interact at all. I never trust his reviews, though.
Quote:
how do I know what to see?
If I have a date and have to go to the movies, I read the reviews online.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
Here in Washington DC we have lots of arts and entertainment stuff on radio and TV. And as long as newspapers last, there are good reviews of upcoming films. So I am very aware of the new films.

I stopped going to movies, pushed and pulled, during the late 80's when people started talking loudly during films in theaters and VHS rentals made it easy to watch in comfort at home. I went to a movie a couple of years ago with a church group. First of all the ticket price was very high, there were twenty minutes of commercials before the movie started, theater patrons talked loudly, and texted and answered their ringing cell phones Of course one didn't hear the people talking because the movie's volume was so high, I wished I'd had earplugs. A totally unpleasant experience.

Now when a new film comes out that I am interested in, I immediately put it in my Netflix queue. I already have Julie and Julia there and that film is not even released until August. I can wait, as there are so many others in my queue from earlier.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
I can't remember the last time I saw a movie in a theater yet I am very aware of new films, etc. because I love movies; I just watch them at home now.
It's less expensive, certainly, and if you are a movie junkie like I am, you get more bang for your buck by watching at home. Not to mention, you can eat whatever you want, don't have to worry about what you are stepping in or sitting on, and don't have to deal with the annoying patrons who have not mastered theater etiquette. It is just so convenient to watch at home.
The local newspaper has a special Friday section that has lots of movie reviews in it. Otherwise, I am always seeing previews on t.v. or finding out about new movies through friends.
But honestly, I am not really aware of how I know; alot of it is the seek-and-ye-shall-find principle, in which a natural interest somehow leads you to find out about the things you are interested in.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I used to go all the time.
I would read the reviews online, read messageboards like this, or hear word-of-mouth picks and pans.
I actually still do all of that--and I have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly.
I'm no longer the target demographic but I still am a pop culture junkie.
In 2005 I moved to north Florida: our first town did not have a movie theater, our current town only has one (a 7 screener.)
Now I go to movies in spurts.
The weather was so gorgeous here this past spring there was no way I was going inside a theater.
I just saw "Up," and that was the first movie I had seen in a theater since last winter.
It's hot now, really hot, and I will be going to movies more often, but probably just on the Dollar Tuesday days.
Also, like Quiet Walker, I put many movies into my Netflix queue, especially the indie/foreign selections which I know will never make it to my little town.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
I only go every once in a while. Too $$$ to go for every movie. I mainly go to see big action pictures that are enhanced by the large screen and the sound system.

As far as knowing what movies are coming out, I watch trailers online quite a bit. I have DVR so I fast forward through TV commercials.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:25 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,780 times
I used to go to the movies a lot but now I mostly rent them. I love to go to the theatres but it's just too expensive these days so I only go to the theatre on occassion. As far as upcoming releases are concerned, here's a site I visit faily regularly that has a lot of trailers:

www.imdb.com

Old 07-15-2009, 03:16 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In other words, if I'm not watching previews at the theater all summer then how do I know what to see in the Fall?
If you have a true interest in film, seeing trailers in the theater shouldn't be your only way of keeping up to date on coming attractions. If you want to see the trailers of films coming soon, try IMDb.com like TT Dave says. They have a section of the site called "Now Playing" which will tell you everything you need to know about the films currently in the theater and films coming out within the next 8-10 months.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
We have a little 'art house' movie theater that shows indie films that I go to every once in a while. Ticket prices are still really low (I think it's still $5 a movie), it's rarely crowded and the rooms only hold about 50 people anyway. People who go to that theater really appreciate film so you don't get people bringing their kids, or people yelling at the screen etc.

Although, I will say that I will see Harry Potter this weekend because it's a tradition with my friends. I have 2 friends coming up from LA and 3 from San Francisco We go to an old giant movie theater built in the 40s that just has one big screening room. I love it

Other than that, no movies for me.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:46 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
I go just about every weekend as there is usually something I want to see, whether it's the latest blockbuster (the check-your-brain-at-the-door-for-2-hours type of film) or a worthy indie showing at tiny cinema 40 miles away. I always go to the matinee as it's cheaper and I go for the entire performance: ads, previews, etc. I still really enjoy the entire experience even when I'm freezing in the over-done air conditioning .

The only thing I dislike is having some twerp with a giant tub of popcorn sit right next to or in front me who then drowns out the sound with his/her crunching! But then I just get up and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies