Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
does anyone think that movies like this and the other one about the football player is condescending to african-americans? the message is that african-americans need bailing out or help from others or are helpless.
It looks like it's an African-American girl largely being helped by other African Americans or at least other people of color. Some kids do have really bad lives.

Still there are times I wonder if maybe there really is too much tendency to focus on abused urban youth as the face of African American life. I'm a white guy so maybe I should say nothing there, but I have at times wondered if the "story" of say working-class blacks in smaller Southern cities is ever being told and if it's not why not. That's not really a statement for or against this movie, which sounds well done if maybe too painful for me. (I've never been abused, but that stuff lingers in my mind hard when I hear about it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,625,780 times
Has anyone seen this movie yet? What did you think of it?

Old 11-21-2009, 01:50 AM

147 posts, read 329,611 times
After reading the book and watching the trailer, I honestly don't think I could bring myself to see the movie.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:59 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,479 times
Just what we need another tear jerker. Let me go find me a date now.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
Default Color Purple Part Two - Why I Won't See Precious

I will never see Precious. It Color Purple Part Two. It's time for Blacks to stop supporting negative films about themselves, made by others. Spend your money on learning the history of your people. Reach back and help those brothers and sisters in need.
see my blog at say-no-to-precious.blogspot

Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picotop View Post
I will never see Precious. It Color Purple Part Two. It's time for Blacks to stop supporting negative films about themselves, made by others. Spend your money on learning the history of your people. Reach back and help those brothers and sisters in need.
see my blog at say-no-to-precious.blogspot
Have you even seen the movie or read the book??? It's not really much like Color Purple.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
I saw the movie this past Saturday and it was unbelievable, gut wrenching, nauseating, powerful, heartbreaking.....painful. There is some closure in the film but is not your typical "black kid from the ghetto makes good" movie. I encourage those that have an interest in seeing this film to do so if it is available in your town, to read the book, or to see it when it is released on DVD. For those that are critical of the film and are choosing not to see it, comparing it to "The Color Purple," I assure you "Precious" is not "The Color Purple Part II." This film is standing on its own, on its own merit, set apart from any other film. Do not let the "Oprah" attachment deter you from seeing this movie or cause you to judge it prematurely.
Movies that paint African Americans as successful do in fact exist. I think of the Tyler Perry films where many of the lead characters are not only successful but are powerful and rich. The movie "ATL," while primarily focused on teenagers living in a lower income neighborhood, had black characters that were oblivious to the struggles of inner city life and lived country club lifestyles. Granted, in these films the characters are going through some sort of extrenal or internal struggle - but who in REAL LIFE isn't? How many of us in REAL LIFE are going through some things? Sometimes we want to see art imitating life because it makes our own struggle worthy of being acknowledged. Prior to "Boys in the Hood" and "Do the Right Thing" did those of us living outside of those confines have any idea that world actually existed? What I took away from "Precious" is that there are people in this society living in unbelievably shocking circumstances, regardless of race or culture - to be honest Precious being black will be the LAST thing you think about when you walk out of that movie theater.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
You're right those kinds of films, with successful black people, are more common now. Also if you're doing drama characters obviously need to be going through some kind of struggle or it just won't be dramatic.

Interestingly another thing I saw said this is more about obesity. Obese people are sort of the new group to hate and the character is, if not quite obese certainly close to it. Don't know on that.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
I would agree that Precious' weight is certainly a theme of the movie. Her mother refers to her as a "fat b*tch" and constantly shoves food down her daughter's throat in an attempt to make her fat, unattractive, and to dehumanize her.

What I found interesting was during Precious' fantasies she is not thin or light skinned (two things she wanted to be) but rather her same overweight, dark self only with a handsome "light skinned boyfriend," fame, and fortune.

Last edited by perticusrex; 11-24-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 01:36 PM

891 posts, read 2,449,828 times
Really, really good movie. I loved how they ended it - Realistically. But the characters are so real, the story sticks with you for several days. In the end I found the overall experience of watching the film uplifting

Last edited by BU191433; 11-24-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies