Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,762,118 times

Advertisements

This thread is about anything having to do with the Vacation movies.

Is it just me, or does "Vacation" seem to get better every time you see it again???

I remember the first time I saw it, I was much younger. I didn't see it when it came out, that was too long ago - I remember seeing European Vacation in the theater with my bro and sis when I was in like 10th grade, so I was too young to see Vacation when it was new. But still, I saw it probably in my 20's.

At first I thought it was funny, but it seems the more I see it, the more I pick up on a lot of things. Chevy Chase is hilarious but a lot of his funniest stuff is so subtle - does anyone know what I mean?

Anyway, I am laughing now just thinking about the movie. I love the whole series, except European Vacation was probably the worst of them. The first one and Vegas Vacation are my favorites. Of course, Christmas Vacation is ridiculously hilarious also.

I love how Cousin Eddie turned out to be so funny in the first one that he became a key character in subsequent movies. The character is so overblown and stereotypical but Randy Quaid really makes it hilarious.

One of my favorite scenes is from Vegas Vacation, when Clark is distraught over having lost all of the family's money and savings, and Eddie is trying to console him, and tells him, "Well Clark, you can move in with us! I'll dig out another bedroom for you... Then in the evenings we can all sit around and you can tell us all about how much better you used to have it..."

Another great scene is in the original Vacation, when they stop for lunch, and while the family is fussing over sandwiches, Clark sees Christie Brinkley in the distance, drinking a beer and dancing very sexily and flirtatiously for him next to her Ferrari, and Clark starts dancing and hitting his face with his sandwich, thinking he's being sexy back to her... lol, he's so ridiculous, it's funny...

Feel free to share your thoughts, favorite scenes, etc., from any of the Vacation movies in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,336,898 times
This was recently deceased writer/director John Hughes' first big hit. He wrote the screenplay and went on to do many other successful movies.

I agree Chevy Chase is at his peak here. As he got older, he lost that comic magic timing you see in movies like Vacation and Caddyshack.

Favorite Cousin Eddie moment: He asks Clark if he wants another beer and Clark says "sure" so Cousin Eddie hands him his half empty beer can and goes and opens himself a new one.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,219,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Is it just me, or does "Vacation" seem to get better every time you see it again???
It is just you.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,244,349 times
My favourites are Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:16 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,867,362 times
I love the first "Vacation" movie (where they took a road trip to WallyWorld). And the "Vegas Vacation". I love those the best.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:21 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,867,362 times
Randy Quaid was perfect for the role he played in. He is goofy looking anyway and the character (Cousin Eddie) was so perfect for him!

I just hated that they changed the boy and the girl in every one of them. I didn't care for that much.

That was back when Christie Brinkley was THE supermodel of the time. In the "Vegas Vacation" episode, she drives by, in the same kind of car, and Clark can't believe it. But when he looks over, she has her baby sitting there in the backseat. That pretty much changed his mind about her. LOOOOL!! Too hilarious how time changes things!!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:27 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,065,178 times
I loved Vacation and European Vacation; thought Christmas and Vegas vacation thoroughly sucked (why did they change the characters of Audrey and Russ so drastically? Even the age differences!)

Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,522,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
My favourites are Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation.
I have the exact opposite opinion. Christmas and Vegas were the worst, IMO. First two were comedy gold.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:30 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,565,213 times
I liked all of them, but Christmas Vacation is probably my favorite of the whole series....Funny thing is I went on a date to see it on opening night at the local cinema when I was in high school.

I guess it is like 20 years now... I still watch it every year

Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,079,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I liked all of them, but Christmas Vacation is probably my favorite of the whole series....Funny thing is I went on a date to see it on opening night at the local cinema when I was in high school.

I guess it is like 20 years now... I still watch it every year
some date, you actually watched the movie, LOL

For me I liked the Original and the Christmas one, too many funny scenes to remember, post just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies