Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:56 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Perhaps there can be a special thread just for this? and people can post and thread about their movie endings all day long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
The key is not to separate things like that, but to make it easy to either do right in the first place, or correct at a moments notice.

Some people deliberately post spoilers, but others either forget or are just plain inconsiderate/don't really know better (not MEAN....).

So you COULD have a separate topic, forum subsection, whatever you wanted, and you will still get people posting spoilers in the regular movie section.

Hell, You will get them posting in the NJ section!!!

If someone keeps clogging the toilet, you don't tell them to start using a different toilet, you try and fix the one that keeps getting clogged.... Maybe I should not have used that analogy. I am sure it can be easily abused and we would all end up in deep...........porcelin!
I've repeatedly and nicely asked for the spoilers on TV shows too. I got a lot of reps and DMs supporting me but not ON the boards. ON the board people ( a couple) were rude and hateful and I know they get their jollies from being the first to post a spoiler without being courteous enough to Use the subject box and put the 7 letter word SPOILER . One member here even said they are not courteous and would NOT put spoiler
The worst is on a season finale when the winners name is posted on the very first line thereby not giving a person the opportunity to back out of the comment before being blasted by the unwanted news.
Payback can be hell. East coast and central time zone viewers may one day find themselves on the west coast................

oh and as for movies---no one should ever ever post the way a movie ends no matter how long ago the movie was shown in theaters. That is just wrong!!!
People don't see movies for any and varying reasons but perhaps plan to at some time.
Ex: I didn't see Marley and Me but planned to rent it at some point. Someone posted on here one day the entire ending and I was like---WTF???? The person then turned the tables and asked why had I not seen it yet. Dumbazzes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
You mean I shouldn't tell you that Bruce Willis is really ...MMMMFFF!!!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:

Some people deliberately post spoilers, but others either forget or are just plain inconsiderate/don't really know better (not MEAN....).
There should probably be some sort of No Spoiler stickie at the top, but even if there was, the people who *should* adhere to it probably wouldn't even notice it.
I don't even bother with white text, I just type a warning and/or put the spoiler way down towards the bottom of my post. And if I am beginning a thread, I usually put "Possible Spoilers" in the title.
Quote:
You mean I shouldn't tell you that Bruce Willis is really ...MMMMFFF!!!!!
LOL
See, that's the thing.
There are entire threads of obvious spoilers, like "Best opening line" or "Saddest Film" etc etc. Perhaps some people get into that open discussion type frame of mind, but then don't change gears for other movie threads.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
A lot of peopel want to talk about the film, and some forget about teh spoilers, while otehrs are just lazy about them.

I think it goes many ways. The easiest thing would be if people just did not blurt out the spoiler until the end of their post and if people, in general, tried to avoid posts on the movie if they can (It makes it hard to do when you want to know if something is worth seeing).

TV shows are teh easiest to do this with. If you are going to watch the season finale to XXX, DON'T READ A THREAD ON IT 1 HOUR BEFORE WATCHING!!!!! EVER!!!

I know, that is like saying "do not slow down and look at that traffic accident", but still, better not take the risk of going into a boiler room with a lit cigarette and yell at everyone for not warning them about that gas smell!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
I totally agree! I was pretty ticked off that someone revealed the ending of the new Paranormal Activity movie in this forum before I got to go see it! That was just RUDE.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

YouTube - 100 Movie Spoilers in 5 Minutes

My two cents on this discussion is if you want to avoid spoilers then don't read a thread about the show/movie. Why should I not be able to talk about Rosebud being a sled just because you haven't watched Citizen Kane?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
I totally understand. I guess there can be "spoilers" in any topic-game winners, tv show winners, etc. but at least those are many times given away on the news or in the paper. Hopefully, we can just take more care in discussing some movies, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I've repeatedly and nicely asked for the spoilers on TV shows too. I got a lot of reps and DMs supporting me but not ON the boards. ON the board people ( a couple) were rude and hateful and I know they get their jollies from being the first to post a spoiler without being courteous enough to Use the subject box and put the 7 letter word SPOILER . One member here even said they are not courteous and would NOT put spoiler
The worst is on a season finale when the winners name is posted on the very first line thereby not giving a person the opportunity to back out of the comment before being blasted by the unwanted news.
Payback can be hell. East coast and central time zone viewers may one day find themselves on the west coast................

oh and as for movies---no one should ever ever post the way a movie ends no matter how long ago the movie was shown in theaters. That is just wrong!!!
People don't see movies for any and varying reasons but perhaps plan to at some time.
Ex: I didn't see Marley and Me but planned to rent it at some point. Someone posted on here one day the entire ending and I was like---WTF???? The person then turned the tables and asked why had I not seen it yet. Dumbazzes

Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
well, isn't that secret something that has been out there for many years? With these newer movies, I don't think it's good to just casually tell the ending, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

YouTube - 100 Movie Spoilers in 5 Minutes

My two cents on this discussion is if you want to avoid spoilers then don't read a thread about the show/movie. Why should I not be able to talk about Rosebud being a sled just because you haven't watched Citizen Kane?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Quote:
A lot of peopel want to talk about the film, and some forget about teh spoilers, while otehrs are just lazy about them.

I think it goes many ways. The easiest thing would be if people just did not blurt out the spoiler until the end of their post and if people, in general, tried to avoid posts on the movie if they can (It makes it hard to do when you want to know if something is worth seeing).

TV shows are teh easiest to do this with. If you are going to watch the season finale to XXX, DON'T READ A THREAD ON IT 1 HOUR BEFORE WATCHING!!!!! EVER!!!
I know, that is like saying "do not slow down and look at that traffic accident", but still, better not take the risk of going into a boiler room with a lit cigarette and yell at everyone for not warning them about that gas smell!!!

I'm THREE hours behind the rest of the country. It's just as easy to post a spolier as it is to ask those who trail the rest of the U.S. to avoid the forums.
IF YOU were in the same situation, I suppose you would stay off the computer? Yea right.
The thing is that when you're 3 hours behind and already on the computer in a forum talking or posting about what's been going on all season, then suddenly the next post is from someone who just finished watching....................no need in the very first line to type..........Dave WINS!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:18 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I'm THREE hours behind the rest of the country. It's just as easy to post a spolier as it is to ask those who trail the rest of the U.S. to avoid the forums.
IF YOU were in the same situation, I suppose you would stay off the computer? Yea right.
The thing is that when you're 3 hours behind and already on the computer in a forum talking or posting about what's been going on all season, then suddenly the next post is from someone who just finished watching....................no need in the very first line to type..........Dave WINS!!!
umm actually, I would. I'm an hour behind the East Coast (of course, that assumes I watch a show live and not online the next day), and that's not even counting the fact that some shows air earlier in Canada than on the East Coast. I remember a lot of idiot Canadians posting spoilers for LOST last season so I just avoid all forums, especially those geared towards TV. best thing to do is to avoid threads of TV shows and movies you haven't seen yet. if there's a Paranormal Activity thread on this forum, I'm not going to open it. if I haven't watched the latest episode of a TV show, I'm not going to open the thread for that show until I do

the ONLY thing you can do is control YOUR own actions. try as anyone might, you can't control another person's action. having spoiler tags won't guarantee anything. even if a mod deletes a spoiler comment, chances are someone has read it before hand. so, again, the best thing you can do is avoid such threads.

oh, and BTW, in my opinion, movies that have been out for years is fair game. this is especially true of highly popular, oft talked about movies that anyone living in this country and speaks half decent English knows the ending to. come on, even my cousin knows the ending to the 6th Sense and his understanding of English is at a grade school level! sorry, but if you haven't heard by now that Rosebud was the sled or that Leo Dicaprio's character in Titanic dies you may need to avoid the movies forum for a while until you catch up a bit

ETA: I will say that I don't go out of my way to post spoilers (well, other than the above...and below) and try to do white text, but really, in most cases, I don't bother and just assume (yes, I know assuming anything is bad) that folks reading this thread have seen the movie already, especially in cases such as BlueWillow posted. now, I suppose people can try to post very, very basic titles. instead of using

*spoiler alert* ()

"OMG, I can't believe Carrie killed everyone at the prom!"

as a thread title, just use a thread title like "the movie Carrie" or "the ending of Carrie"

oops, sorry to those who still haven't seen Carrie or didn't know the ending!

Last edited by eevee; 10-20-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies