Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 04:55 PM

1,936 posts, read 700,911 times

Advertisements

Has there ever been a movie where she wasn't rescued? I'd say her odds for rescue are 97% or better if she's in some sort of danger.

It's a cliche we keep accepting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 05:01 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Has there ever been a movie where she wasn't rescued? I'd say her odds for rescue are 97% or better if she's in some sort of danger.

It's a cliche we keep accepting.
Didn't Gwen Stacey die?

Old 04-15-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Didn't Gwen Stacey die?

Who is she? I'll need to google.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:50 AM

729 posts, read 531,872 times
Quote:
Didn't Gwen Stacey die?
I suspect then that she was the 3%.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:00 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
The Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacy (bad guy kills good guy's girlfriend)

Wolverine killed Jean Grey (good guy killed the woman he loved because she had gone mad)

Kingpin corrupted Daredevil's girlfriend Karen Page (though he didn't kill her)

Hulk's girlfriend Betty Ross has died.

Daredevil's enemy killed his former girlfriend Elektra.

The problem in comic books is that unless your name is Ben Parker or Thomas and Martha Wayne, no one ever stays dead. Killing a character in a comic has just become a gimmick.

There are probably more, but that's all I got outta my brain. You can do your own Googling.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:

It's a cliché we keep accepting.
It goes back to our evolutionary roots. The males in the audience, identifying with the superhero, WANT to rescue the girl. Hoping that in the process that (off-screen) he will get lucky. Many females in the audience, subconsciously WANT the big buff superhero (and bad-boy) to rescue them. Even in today's woke and feminist culture, the primitive instincts still come out. In the end, the film maker just wants to make a buck.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
It goes back to our evolutionary roots. The males in the audience, identifying with the superhero, WANT to rescue the girl. Hoping that in the process that (off-screen) he will get lucky. Many females in the audience, subconsciously WANT the big buff superhero (and bad-boy) to rescue them. Even in today's woke and feminist culture, the primitive instincts still come out. In the end, the film maker just wants to make a buck.

That's true. And it would also be quite a downer watching everyone die at the end.

Underdog always came through for Polly.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Didn't Gwen Stacey die?
Oh I thought Mary Jane was Spider Man's main squeeze.

*TRUE STORY:

Years ago, I was on a family trip in Arizona. We did one of those Pink Jeep Tours (over the red rocks). The
driver was a cool guy telling us about some of his passengers. He said he drove two young women wearing
baseball hats, pony tails, sunglasses. He asked them what did they do, where were they from. One girl
said, "I was in the Spider Man movie." The guy said, "Oh, as an extra?" Her friend piped up, "She was one
of the main stars!" It was Kirsten Dunst. The driver said, "Oh sorry, I didn't see that movie." She said,
"Oh that's okay." He said she acted very down to earth and didn't look like a movie star, just a regular girl.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:27 PM

10,085 posts, read 1,021,417 times
Lois Lane was supposed to be a reporter, but she couldn't tell that Clark Kent was Superman because of Glasses??

Old 04-16-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Oh I thought Mary Jane was Spider Man's main squeeze.
Gwen Stacey in the comics was Spiderman's first main squeeze, A few years later, Mary Jane came along. Gwen Stacey's death was a shock at the time but made for great comic book sales. This was well before the "death" of Superman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies