Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,621,694 times

Advertisements

Very well said, Raelyn28. I am going to see the movie this afternoon. Michael Jackson was very talented musician and dancer. Very creative. I only wish, that I could have had the opportunity to have seen him in concert. Rest in peace Michael. I know that I will be glued to my chair this afternoon in the theatre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 AM

5,469 posts, read 12,219,806 times
I too regret that I never got to see him in concert. He is the only entertainer I really would have spent the money to see. Regardless, the movie is better than nothing. Plus I think most fans want to know if MJ still "had it" in the end. I had a dream about MJ last night, the Thriller MJ, when he was still black and handsome. But he wasn't wearing a Micky Mouse T shirt.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,240,369 times
DH and I will see the documentary today. There's talk it might be nominated for an Oscar or a Golden Globe. I probably will buy the DVD and deliberating whether to buy the CD for the pictures. Heard they were good.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,473,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
DH and I will see the documentary today. There's talk it might be nominated for an Oscar or a Golden Globe. I probably will buy the DVD and deliberating whether to buy the CD for the pictures. Heard they were good.
That says more to the lousy movie choices in the last year than anything else.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 PM

26,659 posts, read 26,633,915 times
Ann Powers' review alone makes me want to go see it. She's fairly discriminating.

Review: 'Michael Jackson's This Is It' -- latimes.com

Old 10-29-2009, 06:43 PM

754 posts, read 1,736,479 times
Damn! Now I'll have to go catch it this weekend. Maybe I'll go to a matinee time so it won't be too crowded....so I hope.

It's so unbelievably sad because when they announced MJ was going to do concerts in London, I kept telling my co-workers/friends/family that if it was successful I was hopeful he'd do one last tour in the U.S. Now that will never happen. Life certainly takes the craziest turns, and not always for the better.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:37 PM

8,012 posts, read 10,591,471 times
I prefer to remember the J-5, Off The Wall eras of Michael myself. After that, it just gets sad.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,473,588 times
Heard the movie critic on ABC in Los Angeles. While he said he was not a big fan nor ever owned a MJ album, that he enjoyed the movie and it was put together well. He added that MJ fans would really enjoy it.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,240,369 times
The word I would use to describe "This is It" is mesmerizing. I could not take my eyes of the screen. I was prepared to be saddened, but there was only one scene that was disturbing. All the rumors about MJ's condition and the fact that he couldn't perform are just plain nonsense. Yes, he is thin, but as the autopsy indicated his weight was within the boundaries for his height, age and slight arthritis in his knees . Yes, he's fifty and he's not as elastic as the younger MJ, but his gazelle like grace make him an elegant dancer. Kudos to all the dancers, singers and especially Kenny Ortega who was responsible for putting the film together. I have more thoughts on the film, but don't want to spoil for others who may not have seen it yet.
The film has grossed $9.6-million in two days in the U.S. Wednesday's total was the best daily gross for a film shown on Wednesday in October. The combined worldwide total is $20.1-million. At this rate, it will certainly top the $65-million total for the Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds Concert. Now that they see the film is a success, the vultures are coming out of the wall now claiming Michael owed them money. More suits have been filed today.
BTW - I'm not a consistent moviegoer, so I went early afternoon. It was not crowded and very enjoyable.
'Michael Jackson's This Is It' Could Break More Box-Office Records - Movie News Story | MTV Movie News

Jackson collaborators seek debt payments - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/entertainment/2009/10/29/D9BL4JR00_us_jackson_estate/index.html - broken link)
Salon.com Arts & Entertainment | "This Is It" is only the beginning

Old 10-30-2009, 01:31 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,141,737 times
Thank you for adding this elegant swirl to the thread. I didn't want the readers to expect too much and then be disappointed so I purposely played my original starting comments down a notch. Now that most people (or many) have seen it I am free to say that Michael will forever remain in my heart as a very special, talented and gifted human being who appeared to be very kind and good hearted to many. The movie was excellent and I pray that it does well at the box office and the proceeds are used in the way that Michael would have wanted them to be used.

I realized after seeing the movie (and reflecting on what I saw) that people were at times cruel in their judgements about him.. the accusations, the critical comments about his surgeries, etc. The movie reflected who Michael really was like and I enjoyed that aspect (of getting to know him). My thoughts and beliefs are that we must not judge because we didn't walk in his shoes or live his life. I lived a life similar to MJ and could relate to his pain, to his dysfunctional childhood and I especially related to his obvious worries about not being able to measure up. His perfectionism possible led him to restless nights where he couldn't sleep. I have been there and done that...worried about not being able to perform and causing endless hours and tired days that followed. I hurt for those who struggle with difficult issues and never overcome them.. I just hope that MJ knew how special he was to so many people.

I was proud of Michael Jackson as I sat with my 15-year old son and watched every second of that movie. I felt like Michael was someone from my era that will never be able to be replaced. He is... and always will be an impossible act to follow.. Perfect?? no.. he had his issues but he truly was a unique gift to so many of us.. We will miss him.

Peace to you MJ and may you be dancing and singing in heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The word I would use to describe "This is It" is mesmerizing. I could not take my eyes of the screen. I was prepared to be saddened, but there was only one scene that was disturbing. All the rumors about MJ's condition and the fact that he couldn't perform are just plain nonsense. Yes, he is thin, but as the autopsy indicated his weight was within the boundaries for his height, age and slight arthritis in his knees . Yes, he's fifty and he's not as elastic as the younger MJ, but his gazelle like grace make him an elegant dancer. Kudos to all the dancers, singers and especially Kenny Ortega who was responsible for putting the film together. I have more thoughts on the film, but don't want to spoil for others who may not have seen it yet.
The film has grossed $9.6-million in two days in the U.S. Wednesday's total was the best daily gross for a film shown on Wednesday in October. The combined worldwide total is $20.1-million. At this rate, it will certainly top the $65-million total for the Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds Concert. Now that they see the film is a success, the vultures are coming out of the wall now claiming Michael owed them money. More suits have been filed today.
BTW - I'm not a consistent moviegoer, so I went early afternoon. It was not crowded and very enjoyable.
'Michael Jackson's This Is It' Could Break More Box-Office Records - Movie News Story | MTV Movie News

Jackson collaborators seek debt payments - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/entertainment/2009/10/29/D9BL4JR00_us_jackson_estate/index.html - broken link)
Salon.com Arts & Entertainment | "This Is It" is only the beginning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies