Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM

23 posts, read 197,489 times

Advertisements

Anybody noticed that when Hollywood tries to make a 1970s/80s style teen sex comedy they just fall flat? American Pie was okay but it seemed like the movie was reaching quite a bit to reach Porkys or Screwballs.

The 1970s and 1980s Teen sex comedies were raw and low budget usually featuring nobodies. The kids smoked marijuana and got naked and did their thing. The action wasn't forced like movies today it was fluid.

Okay here are some favorites. Enjoy

Pom Pom Girls, The Van, HOTS, Spring Break, Hollywood High 1 and 2,

Hollywood Hot Tubs, Summer Camp (very rare), Porkys all three,

Screwballs, Malibu Beach, The Beach Girls, The Cheerleaders, Revenge of

the Cheerleaders, Coach, Goodbye Franklin High, Angel, Avenging Angel,

Mischief, and many many more.

OKAY LETS ALL JOIN IN AND ADD TO THE LIST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:03 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,071,991 times
Ok I recognize most all of those, I have a few I can add:

revenge of the Nerds, American Graffiti, Hollywood Knights

Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,560,959 times
I also thought that American Pie was a modern Porky's wannabe.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 AM

[quote=aardvarks;11441752]Ok I recognize most all of those, I have a few I can add: revenge of the Nerds, American Graffiti, Hollywood Knights

Good list. Though I would be inclined to take American Graffiti off the list because it was the movie that launched a whole movement i e made street rodding popular, 1950s nostalgia, etc that movie is too big for a list. It literally was the Gone with the Wind of our time though in 1973 it wasn't obvious it would turn into that. I don't think you have lived until you have seen that movie through once. Though it is basically at heart a teen sex coming of age movie.

Hollywood Knights. Theres a nostalgia movie with alot more sex and hijinks than American Graffiti. If I remember correctly the Nanny Fran Drescher shows her cans about five minutes into the flick poolside. Basically about a bunch of kids in 1965 on the edge of Beverly Hills as the snobs are getting ready to rip down their favorite hangout which had been there since the 1940s.

The undertone of the movie was the 1950s were dead and the 60s were anything goes. One part in the movie a couple kids call the Knights a bunch of 1950s losers. Newbomb Turk was basically your Eddie Haskel type kid with the car club coat. The movie then shows a wild pool party at this rich girls house where kids are having sex in the pool. The end of necking at the passion pit and the beginning of Free Love.

Good suggestion to add to the list simply for the hijinks and the sex.

DixieChick1972

I also thought that American Pie was a modern Porky's wannabe

American Pie was this movie where the writers tried so hard to make it funny it became hard to watch. I saw it once and will never see it again. The difference between that movie and Porkys was that the guys in Porkys were regular guys. The comedic flow was natural more like a few guys paling around in the Locker Room after gym class.

American Pie was overdone too Hollywood for me. This sad to say is what happened after the Drive Ins died. The making of cheap movies with no effects, no name actors, and the use of stock footage from other films are relegated to oblivion. You take a movie like Spring Break which is about two rich nerds going to 1983 Fort Lauderdale to party and having to share a hotel room with two cocky Brooklyn Italian types who take them on their hijinks. Penthouse Pet Corrine Alphen cameos as a rock singer and love interest.

The other thing about Spring Break is the girl on the movie poster was a little known Florida model named Tammy Leppert who was also on the set of Scarface which was made in FLA at the same time. She flipped out and claimed someone was trying to kill her and disappeared in July of 1983 and was never seen again. If you pull up the Spring Break Movie Poster thats her hips the guys are climbing up.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,969,241 times
I could never top the list you provided, JohninMansOhio !
So just a few opinions......Porky's was great !
How about Rock 'N Roll High School, the Ramones movie ?
One of my personal faves about getting the head virgins of the
football team and science club together, I remember keeling over
with laughter in few parts. Some noted actors of that era too....
Very funny

Maybe stretching it, but a right of passage in the early 70's for us
in PA was to get a van of people and go watch Flesh Gordon at the
drive-in. Also, so cheezily hilarious you could only wonder how this
got to screen

Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 AM

[quote=KoZmiC NinJa;11445092]I could never top the list you provided, JohninMansOhio !
So just a few opinions......Porky's was great !
How about Rock 'N Roll High School, the Ramones movie ?
One of my personal faves about getting the head virgins of the
football team and science club together, I remember keeling over
with laughter in few parts. Some noted actors of that era too....
Very funny

Maybe stretching it, but a right of passage in the early 70's for us
in PA was to get a van of people and go watch Flesh Gordon at the
drive-in. Also, so cheezily hilarious you could only wonder how this
got to screen [/quote]

Thanks. Rock and Roll High School was a good musical and definately of that time period. I also forgot Last American Virgin and Fast Times at Ridgemont High. These were definately teen sex/coming of age comedies.
My Tutor was another good one about a kid and his French Teacher. Anyone here remember Betsy Russel in Tomboy??

Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,247,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInMansfieldOhio View Post
Anybody noticed that when Hollywood tries to make a 1970s/80s style teen sex comedy they just fall flat? American Pie was okay but it seemed like the movie was reaching quite a bit to reach Porkys or Screwballs.

The 1970s and 1980s Teen sex comedies were raw and low budget usually featuring nobodies. The kids smoked marijuana and got naked and did their thing. The action wasn't forced like movies today it was fluid.

Okay here are some favorites. Enjoy

Pom Pom Girls, The Van, HOTS, Spring Break, Hollywood High 1 and 2,

Hollywood Hot Tubs, Summer Camp (very rare), Porkys all three,

Screwballs, Malibu Beach, The Beach Girls, The Cheerleaders, Revenge of

the Cheerleaders, Coach, Goodbye Franklin High, Angel, Avenging Angel,

Mischief, and many many more.

OKAY LETS ALL JOIN IN AND ADD TO THE LIST.
AH, Spring Break!!! LOL!!! I watched that movie so much that I knew EVERY line in it....

Add "Private School" to the list (actually had minor star power with Phoebe Cates and Matthew Modine in it...).

And how could you leave out "Hot Dog" with Shannon Tweed?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM

23,863 posts, read 71,202,101 times
I think Fast Times At Ridgemont High and Dazed And Confused should be mentioned although they aren't low budget and have well known casts.

But I think I will have to take a closer look at your list,John!

Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,276,154 times
I've only seen Porkys. I remember loving it back then, I should watch it again some day...

Old 11-02-2009, 06:04 PM

[quote=BigSwede;11447222]I think Fast Times At Ridgemont High and Dazed And Confused should be mentioned although they aren't low budget and have well known casts.

But I think I will have to take a closer look at your list,John!

The cast of Fast Times was not well-known when the movie came out. A couple like Judge Rheinhold had done a few things. The movie is awkward and sexy and features everything a teen sex comedy is about making it on the list. Dazed and Confused I wouldnt put on here only for one reason. It came out in 1993. Im talking the era from about 1969 to about 1991 when the teen sex comedy golden era ended forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies