Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM

51 posts, read 38,699 times

Advertisements

Disgrace
The Informant!
Whip it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,323,898 times
The Dark Knight (No matter how hard I try)
Michael Bay Transformers Movies (It's more about Shia Lebouf and Megan Fox than the Transformers)

Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM

600 posts, read 1,607,021 times
Lord of the Rings (all of them)
Harry Porter (all of them)
Aviator
The Da Vinci Code

I pretty much don't like anything that the critics like.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,651,453 times
[quote=sweetheart1311;13221554]
The Da Vinci Code

quote]

IM pretty sure no one liked that movie. Thats a movie that should be in a thread titled "movies you are suppose to hate but like"

Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 AM

[quote=skel1977;13221656]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
The Da Vinci Code

quote]

IM pretty sure no one liked that movie. Thats a movie that should be in a thread titled "movies you are suppose to hate but like"
Tell me about it! I fell asleep 3 times while watching it in the theater.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,520,645 times
"The Dark Knight." No matter how awesome Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker was, I still hate this movie. It's over-long, bombastic, and extremely pretentious. Seems like the 1989 Batman movie was the only Batman movie that got everything right.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,139,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I disagree. Just because a movie doesn't have your run-of-the-mill Hollywood "good guys always win" ending didn't make it any less effective than other movies. Sometimes evil does trump good, as much as we'd like to believe in karma. Plus, the Coen Brothers are brilliant.

I agree. I don't like the run of the mill endings either. I hate the let's wrap every ending up in a nice red ribbon, blah, blah, blah. I just didn't like this particular ending. I thought there should have been more movie to it. Add about ten more minutes and a better ending and I would have given it high praises.

By the way, to all who have said something about, "There's something about mary". I personally liked the movie, but I too am still wondering what it is about Mary. She is so not attractive for me.

Someone else mentioned what I think, Matt Damon is just not realistic as a bad as s type tough guy. The Bourne movies should be called the bored series. I just don't get it.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,504,880 times
Sideways-I want those two hours back.
Indiana Jones-the last one..that was painful to watch.
There's something About Mary
Lord of the Rings

Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,879,591 times
Since there are SO many movies, I think it's important to go back to the original poster's question and remember, what are the movies you are SUPPOSED to like, but don't? I mean, no one really expects you to like Blades of Glory, so if you hate it, that doesn't really answer the question.

I found several lists on google of what are supposedly the top 100 or top 250 best movies ever made and scanned them. To me, these are most likely the movies that we are "supposed to like" and I drew from that list. Obviously there are many other movies I don't like but that's not the question, so here goes:

Titanic -- I love period pieces but I hate them when they are so horribly inaccurate. Like, what well-bred young aristocratic lady would give the finger to a porter, or spit over the side of a boat? What kids of any class at the turn of the century talk like Valley Girls from California? Give me a break. Not to mention, Leonardo DiCaprio's last good performance was as the retarded boy in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. (now there was a good movie.) He was crap in Titanic. All the historical researchers on that production staff should have been fired and should never work again!

Citizen Kane -- I didn't get it. Rosebud was his sled. So what?

The African Queen -- basically, I hate Katherine Hepburn. She hasn't a single redeeming quality. Can't take the screeching.

Lawrence of Arabia -- couldn't hold my attention. What was he doing in the desert again?

The Prestige -- more like "The Pretentious" and the worst part is, it was released at the same time as that other magician movie and for the life of me, I can't distinguish between the two of them!

8 1/2 -- Blech. More pretentions. I found all the screaming to be very jarring.

Mulholland Drive -- pretentious and disturbing, which is a bad combo.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

The Prestige -- more like "The Pretentious" and the worst part is, it was released at the same time as that other magician movie and for the life of me, I can't distinguish between the two of them!
LOL Same here! I keep forgetting which one is which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies