Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM

109 posts, read 136,169 times

Advertisements

All I can remember is when HBO first came around many years back I turned it on. My reward was a movie called "The Tin Drum". Now I'm no big knowledgeable "art" guy but this was just impossible to watch. Some kid banging on a drum and screaming. After a few minutes of this it was just unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
All I can remember is when HBO first came around many years back I turned it on. My reward was a movie called "The Tin Drum". Now I'm no big knowledgeable "art" guy but this was just impossible to watch. Some kid banging on a drum and screaming. After a few minutes of this it was just unbearable.
I think that was probably THE TIN DRUM.

If you ever find yourself in an unbreakable good mood, full of cheer and the love of life, but decide you'd really rather feel hopeless so that you can work up the courage to stick your head in a lit oven, all you really need is ten minutes of German cinema. That'll do the trick.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 13,528 times
I remembered another absolutely rancid movie theater experience from the '90s -- BATMAN & ROBIN (1997). That absolutely destroyed Alicia Silverstone's career just 2 years after CLUELESS (awesome movie) catapulted her to absolute stardom. Bad career move (perhaps overconfident at that point?), though she did what she could with the ridiculous "Batgirl" character; the fault lay in the horrible script. Who wrote that thing, a first grader? The prior BATMAN movies were decent (even the maligned BATMAN FOREVER [1995] imo), though personally I found BATMAN RETURNS (1992) a bit too dark and disturbing for my taste, but that was the whole point, so I appreciate that for what it is.

Oh and FLUBBER with Robin Williams, also from 1997. What happened to filmmakers in the second half of that decade, they just got extremely lazy or something? Why would anyone ever think it was a good idea to make a movie that's basically about a friendly version of the thing from THE BLOB (1958) but that never grows just bounces everywhere? People in 1958 even thought the horror version was silly (though fun), this one was just...not even small children were amused.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Flubber was a remake of the Absent Minded Professor, not the Blog. It was pretty funny.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:51 AM

120 posts, read 66,229 times
I'm not exactly sure which is worse ,but let I can name a few movies I really didn't like.

RollerBall (2002) Saw this in the movie theater just a horrible movie.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre the beginning (2006) Horrible acting and just a completely unnecessary film to make.

The Hills have eyes 2 (2007) not scary or entertaining at just sick.

Drag me to Hell (2009) really dumb

The residents evil movies (except for the first one ,but even that one was medicore at best)

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) just a really stupid film ,but I will admit the last 10-15 mins and ending made me laugh.

12 monkeys (1995) saw this on DVD a few years ago started off okay ,but it got really stupid as it went along.

Knowing (2009) Dumb movie with bad acting, and a really stupid ending ,but I will admit the scene with the plane crash was kinda creepy despite the bad special effects and fake looking fire.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I hated "The House" with Will Farrell and Amy Pohler
Just stupid and obviously had such a low opinion of any audience that might go see it
I am afraid Will Farrell is floundering and Pohler no better
I don't know who is giving them advice or if they are taking any but Farrell has deep pockets
I don't know about Pohler
They are going to need them if they continue with such stupid affronts...

Old 11-24-2017, 02:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,773 times
Starship Troopers
Sharknado Movies

Old 11-25-2017, 12:38 AM

512 posts, read 321,478 times
Beauty and the Beast (2017).

Soullessly populated by sterile, cold CGI creatures and structures, and starring a charisma-free "actress" who cannot act or sing her way out of a paperbag.
I am still trying to understand why this monstrosity grossed over a billion dollars.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:49 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Beauty and the Beast (2017).

Soullessly populated by sterile, cold CGI creatures and structures, and starring a charisma-free "actress" who cannot act or sing her way out of a paperbag.
I am still trying to understand why this monstrosity grossed over a billion dollars.
Emma Watson of the Harry Potter series?

Old 11-26-2017, 06:26 PM

666 posts, read 513,003 times
1. Sphere. Derivative, pretentious crap that confuses ripping off scenes wholesale for "homage"

2. Pompeii, the type of film where you go, "It couldn't get any worse..." and then it does.

3. Jupiter Ascending--it's like someone watched a sci-fi marathon on acid, then tried shooting a movie based on their memory of all the movies they saw the night before

4. Dementia 13--complete crap. Don't care if it was shot by a future acclaimed director.

5. Akira--before anybody shoots me, the manga was a masterpiece. The movie, however, was a complete and total mess, like Otomo had no idea how to adapt his own work to film.

6. Suddenly, Last Summer--this movie is the worst kind of B movie trash masquerading as "arty" drama.

7. Salo--again, one of those trashy films that gets seen as "arty" because it's shot in a pretentious style.

8. In the Realm of the Senses--same reason as Salo.

9. Experiment in Terror--the "funniest" movie that Blake Edwards ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies