Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:49 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Renee Zellweger. I want to like her. She's soooo .....earnest?
That's a perfect description of her. She was really good in One True Thing with Meryl Streep but I think that was before people knew who she was and she could separate herself from the character she played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:22 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I happen to like romantic comedies with cutsie actresses in them.
Even if you don't like them, you have think that Renee Zellweger was super in Cold Mountain ( a movie with a totally sucko ending).

Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
okay, please allow me to put a new spin on this thread - maybe - i did not read every page, so maybe someone already brought this up.

now, its one thing to say "i cant stand Julia Roberts and Drew Barrymore." But that's really just saying, "i dont like romantic comedies or chick flicks" which i dont, in general. but, then, i can just avoid those movies and therefore avoid those actors alltogether. i allready know that i will never watch Ghosts of Girlfriends Past or "The Handsome Charming Guy Who Was Able to Show the Uptight Attractive Too Busy With Her Carreer 30-Something Woman How He Could Fix All Of Her Problems With His Penis" AKA just about every chick flick ever made.

So, i would like to submit that there are a few actors who rather than just make horrible movies that dont interest me - will play small roles in movies that i like, and effectively ruin good films:

Lucy Liu ruins Payback and Play it to the Bone.

David Arquette ruins Ravenous and 3000 Miles to Graceland

these are just two examples of actors that belong in sketch comedy, not in films. these two probably ruin every movie that they're in because they are just the same characature in evey film.
I think David Arquette did an exceptionally well job in "The Grey Zone"-have not been a fan of any thing else he's done. Eight-legged freaks?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
There are some that I admit are good but just don't enjoy watching them--the something annoys me about them thing...to add a couple I don't think have been mentioned:

Michael Keaton--hate his movies--won't go anymore

Matthew McConnaughey-what a one-dimensional actor--every character is the same

Denzel Washington--nice person and nice-looking guy but every character again is exactly the same

Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM

179 posts, read 295,116 times
NO NO NO, STEVEN SEGAL IS THE WORST OF THE WORST oh and lets not forget JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME oh and KEANU REEVES (BARF!!) oh god and what about THAT KID who played ANAKIN SKYWALKER in Phantom Menace.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,752 times
Will Smith
Julia Roberts

Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't know why, but Burgess Meredith just ticks me off.
He's always ticked me off too.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
There are some that I admit are good but just don't enjoy watching them--the something annoys me about them thing...to add a couple I don't think have been mentioned:

Michael Keaton--hate his movies--won't go anymore

Matthew McConnaughey-what a one-dimensional actor--every character is the same

Denzel Washington--nice person and nice-looking guy but every character again is exactly the same
Agree on McConnaughey-I don't even find him good-looking enough to make up for it.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I happen to like romantic comedies with cutsie actresses in them.
Even if you don't like them, you have think that Renee Zellweger was super in Cold Mountain ( a movie with a totally sucko ending).
She was indeed great in that movie--and the ending, if indeed a cop-out, was faithful to the book. That film (IMHO) did not get the credit it deserved.

I agree that sometimes it is just a genre that a person dislikes.
But not all romantic comedies are created equal.
I don't at all dislike Zellweger, but to me, the novel Bridget Jones was nauseating and I did not even bother with the movie.
Now, Cold Comfort Farm or It Happened One Night, those romantic comedies work for me.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 PM

391 posts, read 513,725 times
Woody Allen, Fran "what's her name" the nanny-the voices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies