Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

The silent versions of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, and Phantom of the Opera are no less creepy -- maybe even moreso -- because they have no sound. I've not seen the 1920 version of The Golem; gotta get it on the Netflix queue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
To me horror is such a distinct category that it often gets miscued. Horror is very subjective, therefore opinions are just that opinions.

Having said that; I still can't see how some "horror" movies are scary. I don't know and maybe it is just me, but I could never understand how the silly zombie type movies or killer clowns, leprauchauns, hacker movies etc are scary. To me most of those are silly and I never get creeped out or freaked out from it. And let's face it, I think that's what a horror movie should be. It should enter the back of your brain for some time haunting you and making you wish that you did not see it. It should make you remember god and hope that he'll protect you from those dark forces.

So having said all that, and now that you understand what I think a horror movie should be, this is my list:

The Exorcist, --This movie came out in the seventies. First movie to completely shock and horrirfy an audience like it did. Still to this day is considered one of the best if not best off all time. William Blatty (I believe that is the director) had a vision that needed be shown. A truth. Side note. If you don't believe that there is evil, look at what went wrong with the set while making that film.

The texas Chainsaw Massacre (The original),--Completely engrossing and diabolic. It takes you to a complete horror and then tosses you around. Loved it personally, only this and exorcist where ever really scary to me. Of course I did this one when I was little. Since I grew up in the seventies and eighties.

After that, and I am being completely honest,

The Shining,--Another really good one

Honorable mentions,

The ring, The exorcist of emily rose, I can't think of anymore right now and I gotta go!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
The most horrifying films, to me, are those centered around war or nuclear holocaust. The loss of civilization as we know it and all we take for granted scares me more than any boogeyman or masked man in the woods.

-Children Of Men
-Threads
-Idi i Smotri (Come and See)
-Men Behind the Sun
-28 Days Later

Some random ones include:
-August Underground-An extremely violent film about serial killers
-Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer-This gritty one gave me disturbing dreams

Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
!!! So many great posts here!

Now I'm in the mood for some old David Cronenburg films. Rabid, great flick...need to get that one!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
My alltime fave killer is Mrs Voorhees (Jason's mother) on the original Friday the 13th movie. I wondered how she scolded Jason when he acted up .

Old 01-30-2010, 11:51 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
To me horror is such a distinct category that it often gets miscued. Horror is very subjective, therefore opinions are just that opinions.

Having said that; I still can't see how some "horror" movies are scary. I don't know and maybe it is just me, but I could never understand how the silly zombie type movies or killer clowns, leprauchauns, hacker movies etc are scary. To me most of those are silly and I never get creeped out or freaked out from it. And let's face it, I think that's what a horror movie should be. It should enter the back of your brain for some time haunting you and making you wish that you did not see it. It should make you remember god and hope that he'll protect you from those dark forces.

So having said all that, and now that you understand what I think a horror movie should be, this is my list:

The Exorcist, --This movie came out in the seventies. First movie to completely shock and horrirfy an audience like it did. Still to this day is considered one of the best if not best off all time. William Blatty (I believe that is the director) had a vision that needed be shown. A truth. Side note. If you don't believe that there is evil, look at what went wrong with the set while making that film.

The texas Chainsaw Massacre (The original),--Completely engrossing and diabolic. It takes you to a complete horror and then tosses you around. Loved it personally, only this and exorcist where ever really scary to me. Of course I did this one when I was little. Since I grew up in the seventies and eighties.

After that, and I am being completely honest,

The Shining,--Another really good one

Honorable mentions,

The ring, The exorcist of emily rose, I can't think of anymore right now and I gotta go!
You had me until "The Ring."

I find it funny when people say that the Japanese version was "soo much better" too. I've seen both. They were both just as bad.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,518 times
There was a movie about a group of kids that were trapped in an old house....Roddy Mc Dowell was not in it.. at the end I believe just two escaped.. a black kid and a girl. they had to jump over a huge wall..Does this ring a bell with anyone??????? I wanted to buy this movie but can't remember the name..Probably made in the 80's or early 90's..

Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Some of my favorites are:

The Fog (original)
Halloween (original)
Exorcist I and III
Jacob's Ladder
The Thing (both versions)
Paranormal Activity
The Mist
The Strangers
The Ring
The Grudge (would have been so much better if they used better CGI/effects)
The Others (newer version)
Sixth Sense
The Shining
Pet Semetary
Blair Witch Project
The Sentinal
The Descent

Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times
These are recent movies
Silent Hill- Very good movie!
The Mist
The Descent
Gothika
Mirrors
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Pulse
Dark Water
The Audition- GRITTY
The Eye- Chinese Version
Paranormal Activity
Stay Alive
Final Destination 1&2 (not exactly horror but..)
The Others

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
There was a movie about a group of kids that were trapped in an old house....Roddy Mc Dowell was not in it.. at the end I believe just two escaped.. a black kid and a girl. they had to jump over a huge wall..Does this ring a bell with anyone??????? I wanted to buy this movie but can't remember the name..Probably made in the 80's or early 90's..
Could it be The People Under The Stairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies