Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 PM

82 posts, read 139,908 times

Advertisements

Ahh....!!! Horror movies
I loved horror movies. This is my favorite genre. Well my favorite scary bloodcurdling movies are:--
Friday the 13th
Unborn
Zombieland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
S. Kings The Silver Bullet. I usually do not care for Werewolf stories but his is awesome. IT was decent.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
My alltime fave killer is Mrs Voorhees (Jason's mother) on the original Friday the 13th movie. I wondered how she scolded Jason when he acted up .
LOL, because of Friday the 13th, after the first one, everytime I swim in a lake I get that creepy feeling for a moment...like, you never know.
Lots of good lists on this thread & lots of my favorite horror movies, excellent! I stupidly just watched Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween II, after seeing his remake of Halloween I during halloween, & this one sucked even worse than his first remake. Sigh....I get what he's trying to do & it's admirable & I give him kudos but when you completely deviate from the storyline of the original...all I can think of is "NOOOO, dangit! You have it all wrong!!!"

Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
S. Kings The Silver Bullet. I usually do not care for Werewolf stories but his is awesome. IT was decent.
I hate that clown from IT, just like I hate the clowns from "Killer Clowns from Outer Space"....something creepy about those types of clowns. I can't be the only one.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:42 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
lol they weren't that scary but Clowns from outer space were a lot scarier than IT. IT was kinda gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I hate that clown from IT, just like I hate the clowns from "Killer Clowns from Outer Space"....something creepy about those types of clowns. I can't be the only one.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol they weren't that scary but Clowns from outer space were a lot scarier than IT. IT was kinda gay.
I just watched Zombieland this weekend.....zombie clown. Not funny at all!!!! Aside from the clown, it was a pretty good movie.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Zombie movies are all pretty much the same, they've been done to death, pun intended.
Sean of the dead was **** poor, Zombieland had a few clever moments but I could never buy Woody Harrelson as a zombie fighter. He's a vegan Hollywood actor, he'd be the first one to be eaten.
Scary was the movie "The Thing". Saw it in theaters and it scared the crap out of my friends and I.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
I'm married to someone who refuses to watch horror movies with me..could be related to his having been in combat zones and experiencing true horror first hand. And it makes me wonder if people who are willing/able to sit thru a horror flick have ever been traumatized by true horror.

Just a thought.

That said, I love the Shining (mostly just the first subtle eerie half of the film). I thought The Strangers was perfectly horrific and creepy. But, had I ever suffered a similar situation, I doubt I would ever be able to sit through the film.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,263 times
I never understood about being frightened by horror films. I've watched them for 55+ years, and, even as a child, the only film that ever frightened me was "The Blob", which we saw at the drive-in. It terrified my mom and my younger sister, too. You have to remember that this was before we knew about special effects, how they were done. We KNEW this wasn't a man in a costume! We had no way of knowing how this creepiness was done. This creature could go through any crevice, come at you from under a door, drop onto you, etc. THAT is a creepy monster!

Otherwise, I don't think I've ever been unnerved by a horror film though that fetish doll segment in "Trilogy of Terror" certainly made the family jump, as did the scene in "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" in which he had to fill a zombie's mouth with salt then sew it shut. Except, just as he's ready to insert that big, curved needle... YIKES!

So, I watch horror films because I like the atmosphere, the story, pretty much everything about it. I don't insist that it make my heart race or me jump in my seat. That said, here are some of my favorites:
Ghost Story ~ I like this even though the novel is so much better. BTW: In the book, Eva/Alma isn't a ghost; she's an elemental.
The Haunting (1963) ~ This does give me chills~every time I watch it.
The Black Cat ~ Karloff and Lugosi are amazing in this!
A Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 3 & 4 ~ NOT the remake!
The Phantom of the Opera ~ Lon Chaney version
Dead Silence ~ I was so surprised by this one!
Curse of the Demon aka Night of the Demon
The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
Carnival of Souls ~ NOT the remake!
The Haunting of Julia aka Full Circle
The Serpent and the Rainbow
The Legend of Hell House
Rinne aka Reincarnation
The Wicker Man (1973)
Yogen aka Premonition
The Changeling (1980)
The Sentinel (1977)
The Brood (1979)
Jeepers Creepers
Halloween (1978)
Rosemary's Baby
The Fog (1980)
Burnt Offerings
The Innocents
Dementia 13
The Gorgon
The Tingler
Candyman
The Ring

Val Lewton productions though some are closer to thrillers/mysteries than horror:
The Curse of the Cat People
I Walked with a Zombie
The Seventh Victim
The Body Snatcher
The Leopard Man
Isle of the Dead
Cat People
Bedlam

I love Hammer/Amicus horror! I also will watch everything with Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

I will not watch the Saw/Hostel-type films! I dislike most of the "Halloween" franchise and all of "Friday the 13th" because of their redundancy and lack of imagination. I hate the sameness of "zomboid" movies; I prefer traditional zombie films though I'll pass up gratuitous gore. Stephen King says people have alligators in the mind; as they feed them more and more of the gory stuff, the gators get bigger and hungrier. Well, my alligators are itty bitty lizard size, and I'm fine with that. I don't mind if it's a necessary part of the story, as in "Candyman", but I don't care to see a blood bath. As for "zomboids": George Romero's original film never refers to them as "zombies"; the creatures act more like ghouls though those beings go after already-dead bodies. All these so-called zombie films are unbelievably repetitive, like a bunch of video games~just a big yawn.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 01-09-2013 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: add names

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
30 year horror fan here. Started when I was young and "The Exorcist" and "Halloween" gave me The Willie's.

My picks:

Texas chainsaw-70's original.
The prowler
Black Christmas
The Entity
The Gate
The Brood
The possession of Joel Delaney
The hills have eyes-remake and original
Maniac-1980
Hatchet
Body melt
Wrong turn-the first one
Don't answer the phone
zombi film series
Demons 1 and 2
Dario argento's "Three mother's trilogy " horrors fans know these!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies