Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times

Advertisements

Never posted in the Movies forum but am an avid movie buff. But after finally giving in and watching Avatar yesterday, my very foundation was shaken.

THIS has become the highest grossing movie of all time?
THIS is the most popular movie?
THIS is cool?
THIS is supposed to be a good movie?

I was bored. After 20 minutes I was searching for more candy to eat to keep me occupied. I went to the bathroom 3 times just to have something to do. I squirmed in my seat constantly. Thinking to myself- actually saying it outloud- this is stupid!

After 3 hours we were finally able to leave, with a headache no less. I'm a lover of the silver screen, of the art of drama...of the craft of acting. Maybe it was because this story has been told before....many times. Ferngully, The Last Rainforest and don't forget Pocahontas....I just couldn't get into it.

Not once have I considered my time still in front of a black and white classic on TCM or the re-re-re rental of Singing in the Rain a waste of time. But those three hours of Avatar were wasted and I can't get them back.

I just turned 40 last week....maybe it's my age. Maybe if I grew up plugged into XBox, texting, Ipod, youtube....maybe then I'd love this movie.

Anyone else afraid to see an animated character that isn't real accept an Academy Award?
Anyone else loosing faith in the movie industry?
Anyone else feeling old?

My teenage daughter loved it! My two children in the military loved it!
I'm retired military and was aggitated that the animated people were killing the former military.....felt they should have just zeroed in on the one 'bad' guy. Collateral damage should have been minimized. And them being the animated people should have known this! But again, I'm old school.
This isn't about bashing Avatar...but rather finding times are changing....movie making evidently is changing.

What movie was released that made you feel old? That was so different that you knew movie making had changed?

Last edited by VegasGrace; 02-02-2010 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
And here is the 6th thread for avatar. Lets all make our own avatar thread so we can discuss it in many different places.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
You're not alone, op.

I was bored, too.

The effects/production was cool. No doubt about that.

But the characters were one-dimensional.
The story/plot was older than dirt and insanely predictable.
The dialogue was so-so.

Without the production, this would have fallen flat on its face.

Movies have sucked for a while now, though. You haven't noticed?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times
Just because a film has really great special effects, even the best ever special effects. That does not make the film a good film or an instant classic.

It is the responsibility of a good filmaker to leave you with a visceral reaction. A headache from the 3-D does not count.

We as a movie-going public need to decide what is in our best interest; films that connect us to our own humanity or films that only help to disengage us from our emotions.

Sometimes I think technology has driven us so far apart under the guise of bringing us together.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
I was bored also

Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
But there were blue alien boobies! Who could say no to that?

Seriously though, it was about as intellgent as a Disney kid's movie... maybe less so. It was all about eye candy. But I admit I was entertained.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I agree--story as old as dirt told over and over. If it gets best picture I would wonder why. No actors on screen for any amount of time, more animation.

So many cliches it was annoying but I did have to laugh. When they get to the planet one character says, "We aren't in Kansas anymore." Then later another character says, "We're getting out of Dodge." LOL, guess they don't know where Dodge is. Plus will those cliches even be said in the distant future?

The animation was pretty at times though. I think all it should get awards for is animation.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Ok phew im glad I didnt go see it . THank You.
There little seperation between media and movies.
It like free press too
Im not into animation movies but I wish they would make this a movie Star Blazers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Never posted in the Movies forum but am an avid movie buff. But after finally giving in and watching Avatar yesterday, my very foundation was shaken.

THIS has become the highest grossing movie of all time?
THIS is the most popular movie?
THIS is cool?
THIS is supposed to be a good movie?

I was bored. After 20 minutes I was searching for more candy to eat to keep me occupied. I went to the bathroom 3 times just to have something to do. I squirmed in my seat constantly. Thinking to myself- actually saying it outloud- this is stupid!

After 3 hours we were finally able to leave, with a headache no less. I'm a lover of the silver screen, of the art of drama...of the craft of acting. Maybe it was because this story has been told before....many times. Ferngully, The Last Rainforest and don't forget Pocahontas....I just couldn't get into it.

Not once have I considered my time still in front of a black and white classic on TCM or the re-re-re rental of Singing in the Rain a waste of time. But those three hours of Avatar were wasted and I can't get them back.

I just turned 40 last week....maybe it's my age. Maybe if I grew up plugged into XBox, texting, Ipod, youtube....maybe then I'd love this movie.

Anyone else afraid to see an animated character that isn't real accept an Academy Award?
Anyone else loosing faith in the movie industry?
Anyone else feeling old?

My teenage daughter loved it! My two children in the military loved it!
I'm retired military and was aggitated that the animated people were killing the former military.....felt they should have just zeroed in on the one 'bad' guy. Collateral damage should have been minimized. And them being the animated people should have known this! But again, I'm old school.
This isn't about bashing Avatar...but rather finding times are changing....movie making evidently is changing.

What movie was released that made you feel old? That was so different that you knew movie making had changed?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
I doubt I'll see it...just doesn't appeal to me.

The reviews people I know who have seen it:

Technological achievement, yes.
Movie--eh.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Like Sigourney but I am just not going to see a movie which relies on CGI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies