Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

Although many movies have changed or enhanced my outlook on life; I will mention three fairly well known movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(feeling) In no particular order:

First I'd say the great German film; DAS BOOT:
It made me actually cheer for the Germans and realize the total futility of war!
Das Boot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Das Boot (Trailer)

Second for me was; STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE:
It made me realize that the concept of "GOD" can be a relative term. When our Voyager 6 probe crash landed on a planet inhabitated by "living machines"; they assumed it was GOD, since it was made in their image. They invested all their resources and energy into building a spaceship to find the probe's(V'GER'S) creator and hence their own "GOD".
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Star Trek - The Motion Picture - Trailer

And finally; BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN:
This movie makes one realize how wrong it is for Gay people to remain "in the closet" and marry someone of the opposite sex; so as to please society and hide their true "nature". This will only end in misery for everyone involved; the Gay person will remain unhappy and their spouse will be lied to and inevitably hurt. As well as any family and/or children that are caught up in the deception.
Brokeback Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Brokeback Mountain Trailer

SO...Let's be honest. What movie and/or movies have altered your perception of life/reality...in other words; caused you to have your MOVIE EPIPHANY?

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 02-20-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:44 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Synecdoche, New York

YouTube - SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK trailer

Really, all of Charlie Kaufman's movies have changed the way I look at life, but this one affected me the most.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:22 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Into the Wild

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

Old 02-21-2010, 06:01 AM

204 posts, read 617,541 times
Hannah and her Sisters is the movie that comes to mind. Maybe not an epiphany, but a warm, funny reminder to not take things too seriously. And this movie has everything I could hope for in a movie....great acting, great script, lovely cinematography, and more. Hannah and Her Sisters is a little gem in my pocket of movie memories. A theme that personally resonates, done with laughter and beauty.

The trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtgw38Yq2Qs

A scene:

YouTube - Why were there Nazis?

Another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJd3MgIcbnA

Last edited by ShermanJoe; 02-21-2010 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 AM

Interesting picks so far; these movies are new to me; Thankyou and I'll check them out! :-)

Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
For me it was Pleasantville.

I saw it at a time when my marriage was disintegrating. I was 41 years old, and so not in "the right place" in my life. Nothing had turned out the way I'd hoped.

The message of that movie--that there is no one right way to live and that you can find passion in life by doing something different--has stayed with me ever since.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times
Michael Jackson's "This Is It"... it's motivated me to be the best version of myself.

The Rocky movies... same thing. I learned that it's important to "go for it," and learn how to "throw a punch" in life, but to learn to TAKE one even better. (Because few people can do that well.) Look for the best in people. They may not reciprocate, but you'll come out the winner. (Part V) You're never too old. (Rocky Balboa)
It's never too late to change. (Part IV) Eye of the Tiger (Part III)... all the little lessons from every one of the Rocky films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uASVzkrEKgs

YouTube - Rocky 4: MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH - and ending credits

YouTube - Rocky Balboa - Rocky Steps

Old 02-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For me it was Pleasantville.

I saw it at a time when my marriage was disintegrating. I was 41 years old, and so not in "the right place" in my life. Nothing had turned out the way I'd hoped.

The message of that movie--that there is no one right way to live and that you can find passion in life by doing something different--has stayed with me ever since.

YouTube - Pleasantville trailer

Another one for me is: MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON. I was young and realized that adults lie and cheat etcetera; almost at any cost. And that many politicians are usually at the top of the "disappointment" list!

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON TRAILER 1939 FRANK CAPRA

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 02-21-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Rocky - the first one - doesn't everyone love this story.

I have to say, many Woody allen's movies have given me some insight. (Hannah and her sisters is one his that is a fave of mine also)

Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece: Ran - stunning

Roman Polanski's version of MacBeth

Brazil

Many of these are not a "new outlook" type in a positive way... they just made me think about certain things differently.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 AM

I'd add another "ROCKY" but THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW....."Don't Dream It Be It"...BE YOURSELF!

YouTube - Rocky Horror Picture Show trailer 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies