U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 06:12 PM

45 posts, read 134,947 times

Advertisements

I personally prefer the books. Even though the entire HP series is for a younger audience. I feel the movies are aimed for smaller children, at least the ones that have been released so far. I think the movies can be very corny and the characters are one-dimensional (and the kids who portray Harry and Hermione aren't very good actors). I think the books are a bit darker and live up to the hype, unlike the films.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 PM

36 posts, read 123,265 times
Books.The movies just can't compete.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,614,874 times
Books and films are different media and need to be expressed differently. Excellent examples are 1939's classics, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz. Both are rich and complex books with far more depth than the films themselves but one has to recognize that the films captured the story and characters of the books from which they were drawn. Margaret Mitchell even said that she wrote Rhett Butler while thinking of Clark Gable.

In that way I truly enjoy the Harry Potter movies. I'm likely in the minority when I say that I prefer the Columbus films, but the characters are straight out of the book and perfectly executed by the actors; the passing of Harris necessititating a replacement not withstanding. I treat the films much like I treat the Lord of the Rings films: they are an artist's interpretations of scenes from the books and I find them to be faithful representations, illuminating and enriching in their own right.

To compare books to movies is to compare apples to oranges. Only one attempt has been made to copy a novel exactly to film and that resulted in a 16 hour masterpiece which was never released as intended by the director and instead butchered to pieces by the (supposedly) illustrious Irving Thalberg. That film was Greed.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM

7,129 posts, read 4,393,047 times
I thought that both were very poor. Maybe it's because I'm older, but I just thought that the first few that I read (because a friend gave me copies) were so disappointing that I didn't bother to continue the series. I've given all of the films a chance; I even watched a second time to see if they seemed any better, which sometimes does happen with a movie I don't care for the first time I see it. Familiarity sometimes helps.

Now, I have a stack of hardbacks I'm trying to get rid of. I did get rid of the VHS copy of the first one that was given to me as a gift. I explained to the friend that I'd just see the others on a cable broadcast.

I swear that those young people never learned how to act! I also think they pass off for a hero a boy who lies, cheats, steals and does his fair share of bullying. turning around to taunt a bully is being a bully yourself, especially because he was invisible. The other two are just as undeserving of admiration. These people are who children are supposed to admire? Shame on the author for always loading things in favor of them! Harry is even rewarded when he breaks rules!

I am not a fan, and neither was my younger sister, who also gave the books and the movies a chance. She said that she was glad she never paid to see the films (except for their delivery via a cable channel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or