U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 PM

559 posts, read 1,263,402 times

Advertisements

I sometimes see young people wearing Zeppelin, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, etc. shirts and always wonder if they actually listen to these bands or whether it's for the cool factor? I also see shirts with old but extant brands such as Atari or Otter Pops and wonder it they own a 2600 console.

Many of these bands are 30-40 years old. As a boomer I couldn't have imagined seeing fellow high school students with an Artie Shaw or Andrews Sisters shirt. Kids were talking about "One of these Nights" or "Walk This Way" but no one I know was humming "Frenesi" or "In the Mood." Even stuff that was only 20 years old, such as Bill Haley or Ritchie Havens was already relegated to the oldies station attic. I guess I don't see contemporary kids walking around with Perry Como or Bing Crosby shirts either.

One factor might be that ever since the Beatles, bands of the rock genre have never lost or have easily regained their relevance. I'm not sure why, but the original rock from the 50's and very early 60's have never retained their popularity outside of usage in ads, soundtracks or samples. Note, I'm not knocking young people for liking classic rock—after all, it's classic for a good reason.

I realize that kids now have access and awareness of music that would have been unimaginable in the vinyl and 8-track era so I don't have a hard time believing that these kids *have* listened to Led Zeppelin I through Coda.

As far as music tees, I'm pretty sure that everything I wear or have worn is from a band I either own music for (usually multiple albums) or have seen live. Back in the day, for most people, the only way to get a shirt was through the fan club or by seeing a show, so you'd have to be pretty committed to sport a shirt. I distinctly remember that seemingly every other student was wearing a Police "Ghost in the Machine" shirt after their tour came through L.A. Now, one could walk into any Target and pick up a Floyd "Dark Side" tee so that's definitely different.

I'm probably coming off as an awful music snob but I assure you that I have no issues with anyone wearing whatever they want for any reason; I'm just curious about the phenomena of young folks digging their parent's/grandparent's music.

Are parents forcing their kids to wear shirts from their youth?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 PM

503 posts, read 667,980 times
I have a janis rolling stones,who,hendrix,zepp,grateful dead,and cream shirt.I'm 16.

I love all of these artists so much. I feel the same way. I hear the same kids in my school saying the blues suck,and then they walk around in their led zeppelin shirt...

Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 AM

10,440 posts, read 47,555,711 times
When I was a teenager, it was the thing to attend concerts and there was a major touring band nearly every weekend. Hell we seen the top bands in the world for $7.00 for a decent seat. When you came to school Monday morning, everyone knew who went and who did not because you would sport your new black concert T-shirt to school. It was a status symbol.

There were black concert T-shirt hawkers outside every arena and concert hall. The cost? $5.00 for a quality MADE IN THE USA T-shirt. A shirt that lasted for years. And the following year when your band toured again, you would wear last years black concert T-shirt and wear your new one to school Monday morning.

Today when a great 70s or 80s band is playing I still see old worn black concert T-shirts that are now old and worn. So these shirts have stood the test of time. JUST LIKE THE AWESOME GREATEST MUSIC OF ALL TIME FROM THAT ERA.

Oh Cher......if I could turn back time.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 AM

74 posts, read 201,514 times
I have been listening to those bands since I was 12.... I am 31 now. I have no idea how I was introduced to the music but it was not from my conservative Italian family... ha ha

However, you would never catch me wearing any band t-shirt... not even at 12!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:42 PM

11,874 posts, read 10,439,762 times
My son's 24 and he has several of these t-shirts. Never forget him coming out of school one day telling me about this cool 'new' band named Led Zeppelin - I just cracked up

Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,609,369 times
When I see a kid with King Crimsons Court Of The Crimson King shirt, he 's gonna get drilled, and if the answers aren't up to snuff, I will glue headphones to his ears and he will hear Bostons Greatest Hits till he crumbles and falls in a crying heap of tears.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 AM

655 posts, read 2,091,760 times
No, you're not alone in wondering. I have a Pink Floyd tee that I bought just because it was cheap. I rarely wear it because I feel like a poseur wearing it. So I usually sleep in it.

My Led Zeppelin and AC/DC shirts I wear with no worries.

Nowadays it's pretty easy for anyone to be a fan of anything rather easily. That said, I still find myself suspicious of kids. I get over it pretty quickly though. I don't want to do what others have done to me after all.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 AM

9,763 posts, read 9,557,400 times
I would rather see a poser wearing a classic rock band concert t-shirt than someone wearing a shirt promoting Lady Gag-Gag, J. Bieber, or G-Thug. Today's music is such trash. Children are being led down the wrong road in such a bad way!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,914,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I sometimes see young people wearing Zeppelin, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, etc. shirts and always wonder if they actually listen to these bands or whether it's for the cool factor? I also see shirts with old but extant brands such as Atari or Otter Pops and wonder it they own a 2600 console.

Many of these bands are 30-40 years old. As a boomer I couldn't have imagined seeing fellow high school students with an Artie Shaw or Andrews Sisters shirt. Kids were talking about "One of these Nights" or "Walk This Way" but no one I know was humming "Frenesi" or "In the Mood." Even stuff that was only 20 years old, such as Bill Haley or Ritchie Havens was already relegated to the oldies station attic. I guess I don't see contemporary kids walking around with Perry Como or Bing Crosby shirts either.

One factor might be that ever since the Beatles, bands of the rock genre have never lost or have easily regained their relevance. I'm not sure why, but the original rock from the 50's and very early 60's have never retained their popularity outside of usage in ads, soundtracks or samples. Note, I'm not knocking young people for liking classic rock—after all, it's classic for a good reason.

I realize that kids now have access and awareness of music that would have been unimaginable in the vinyl and 8-track era so I don't have a hard time believing that these kids *have* listened to Led Zeppelin I through Coda.

As far as music tees, I'm pretty sure that everything I wear or have worn is from a band I either own music for (usually multiple albums) or have seen live. Back in the day, for most people, the only way to get a shirt was through the fan club or by seeing a show, so you'd have to be pretty committed to sport a shirt. I distinctly remember that seemingly every other student was wearing a Police "Ghost in the Machine" shirt after their tour came through L.A. Now, one could walk into any Target and pick up a Floyd "Dark Side" tee so that's definitely different.

I'm probably coming off as an awful music snob but I assure you that I have no issues with anyone wearing whatever they want for any reason; I'm just curious about the phenomena of young folks digging their parent's/grandparent's music.

Are parents forcing their kids to wear shirts from their youth?
No, they don't force them but many don't really listen to the stuff on the shirt. Retro is in and many do it to look cool. You ask them some questions and they give vague answers. You hear them get into their car to leave and 50 Cent, Eminem and who knows what else is blaring out the windows. WTH??? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
When I was a teenager, it was the thing to attend concerts and there was a major touring band nearly every weekend. Hell we seen the top bands in the world for $7.00 for a decent seat. When you came to school Monday morning, everyone knew who went and who did not because you would sport your new black concert T-shirt to school. It was a status symbol.

There were black concert T-shirt hawkers outside every arena and concert hall. The cost? $5.00 for a quality MADE IN THE USA T-shirt. A shirt that lasted for years. And the following year when your band toured again, you would wear last years black concert T-shirt and wear your new one to school Monday morning.

Today when a great 70s or 80s band is playing I still see old worn black concert T-shirts that are now old and worn. So these shirts have stood the test of time. JUST LIKE THE AWESOME GREATEST MUSIC OF ALL TIME FROM THAT ERA.

Oh Cher......if I could turn back time.
Same here, I have the "real deal" concert t-shirts that I wear. I bought them where else, AT THE CONCERT. Most are complete with the tour dates on the back including where I saw them at. There is no doubt to my authenticity to these t-shirts. I have thousands albums at home on various sources. If you still don't believe it after hearing classics blaring 24/7 anytime I am in the truck out of the window, you will when I strap on one of my guitars and plug in!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM

14,780 posts, read 15,694,884 times
Led Zeppelin!
I might not wear the t-shirt, but yeah I've got all the tracks.

I don't mind that they didn't get the tshirts from the actual concert, it's not like I've had a chance to see them live ( ). So that is my only option.

But yes, I wonder if these young'ns know the differences between Led Zeppelin III and Houses of the Holy.

the reason younger people are digging the old tunes is because... yes they are classics and there hasn't been (IMO) anything quite as good since the giants walked the earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music