U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM

1,973 posts, read 4,968,489 times

Advertisements

Ok here's the deal. I am a guitarist/bassist. I want to start a "tribute" band for a popular band with a cult like following, but I want to be a one-of-a-kind tribute. I don't want to be yet another Greatful Dead, KISS, Led Zepplin, Beatles (you get the picture) band. P.S. I hate The Dave Matthews Band so don't say Dave Matthews! So what band out there deserves a tribute but hasn't been done a billion times before. It has to be a band that has mass appeal and a cult like following, that will draw large crowds of dedicated fans, but for whatever reason has been overlooked. Be it classic rock, 80's or 90's, modern metal whatever, they gjust have to be relevant enough that people will come out to see them Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,816,902 times
If you absolutely must think of a tribute band (Good God, don't we have enough tribute bands these days instead of truly new bands? Even the blues bands I jam with seem more like tribute bands with a ten-song repertoire than real blues bands and it's making me crave Pepto-Bismol cupcakes until I finish pulling my own blues group together . . . ), think about Cream. (Just the naming possibilities seem limitless based on their repertoire and lyrics: Disraeli Gears, Spoonful, Rollin' and Tumblin', Tired Starlings, Pressed Rat and Warthog, Crossroads, Wheels of Fire, Strange Brew, Toad, Sweet Wine, Cat's Squirrel, Badge, Scrapyard Thing, Crossroads . . . )

You may have to think about leaving a few numbers out of your repertoire, since Cream in the studio was pretty experimental above and beyond the seeming limits of a trio, but you could make for one hell of a club set with stuff like "I Feel Free," "NSU," "Sleepy Time Time," "Sweet Wine," "Spoonful," "Rollin' and Tumblin'" (it'll help if one of you plays harmonica), "Sunshine of Your Love," "Tales of Brave Ulysses," "SWLABR," "We're Going Wrong," "Outside Woman Blues," "White Room," "Sitting on Top of the World," "Politician," "Those Were the Days," "Born Under a Bad Sign," "Deserted Cities of the Heart," "Crossroads," "Toad," "I'm So Glad," and even "Badge" and "What a Bringdown" . . .

But good luck if you plan to equip yourselves exactly the way Cream did back in the year. It's going to cost you a pretty penny to get those stacks of Marshalls, the Gibson E-5 bass (the one that looks like the SG), the "Fool" SG guitar (they make a lot of copies of that guitar on reproduction '61 SG Standards, but they're not cheap), the Les Paul Standard Eric Clapton used to make Fresh Cream (the guitar was stolen from him as the band was wrapping that album), the red Gibson ES-345 Clapton played on their farewell tour, or the single-pickup Firebird Clapton used as an alternate guitar on the same tour. (You'll have even less simple a time finding the six-string Fender bass---painted psychedelic a la the Clapton SG---that Jack Bruce used in their early days, for that matter . . . )

Moderator cut: copyright photos

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-10-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Wow! It's so wierd you said Cream. Cream was one of the first bands to come to mind. I do have an all original project going also, but it is taking forever to get it off the ground for various reasons and I'd like to throw together a tribute band, learn the songs quickly and make some money. I noticed you are from Vegas where the shows are top notch. Where I'm from, we don't have to come close to replicating all the gear and looks so I'm not too worried about that. Dire Straits is another band I'd like to tribute, but I imagine duplicating Mark Knopfler on both guitar and singing would be near impossible. What else do you have? No Elvis, Grateful Dead, KISS (the usual suspects). I don't even care If i personally like them, as long as it's one of a kind, and no one else is covering them.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Wow! It's so wierd you said Cream. Cream was one of the first bands to come to mind. I do have an all original project going also, but it is taking forever to get it off the ground for various reasons and I'd like to throw together a tribute band, learn the songs quickly and make some money.
Cream's repertoire, the numbers I mentioned anyway, aren't as tricky to learn as you might think, and the nice thing about it is that on stage they were freewheeling improvisors with the songs, so you have a lot of creative room to move even doing a tribute.

Quote:
I noticed you are from Vegas where the shows are top notch.
You'll find two schools of thought on that and I'm a graduate of both of them.

Quote:
Where I'm from, we don't have to come close to replicating all the gear and looks so I'm not too worried about that.
Perhaps, but if you're going to do a tribute, you may as well get it as close to the original look as you can without going nutzo.

Quote:
Dire Straits is another band I'd like to tribute, but I imagine duplicating Mark Knopfler on both guitar and singing would be near impossible.
All you need is someone who can talk-sing in a baritone and plays his guitar with thumb and index finger.

Quote:
What else do you have? No Elvis, Grateful Dead, KISS (the usual suspects). I don't even care If i personally like them, as long as it's one of a kind, and no one else is covering them.
How about Mountain?

They're a little less expensive to recreate, since Leslie West's Les Paul Junior model isn't as expensive as the full-on Les Paul; neither, really, is the Flying V he played at times. Felix Pappalardi's bass, you could get away with using the E-5 (he played the violin-shaped EB-1, a rare bird made only in the 1950s, though Jack Bruce turned up with one for the Cream reunion shows five years ago). And if you or another guitarist can get Eric Clapton's woman sound (tone all the way down on the neck pickup and volume up half way with the amp cranked hottest) and just run it through all the amps (that was the roadie trick that turned Leslie West into a monster at Woodstock, and West kept the setup throughout Mountain's life), you're in. Your lineup would be guitar, bass, keyboard, drums. Mountain, too, liked to jam, and your repertoire could run to . . .

Blood of the Sun
Blind Man
Dreams of Milk and Honey
Southbound Train
Mississippi Queen
Theme for an Imaginary Western
Never in My Life
Silver Paper
Don't Look Around
Nantucket Sleighride
Travellin' in the Dark
Crossroader
Waiting to Take You Away
Long Red

And, these covers that they did rather uniquely (the recordings are still available) . . .

Stormy Monday
Roll Over Beethoven

Mountain, "Roll Over Beethoven"

Moderator cut: copyright photos

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-10-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Mountain is a good one, but unfortunatley I don't think they would have mass appeal. I could picture playing a show to like seven people. I am a big Jethro Tull fan and would love to cover them, but like Mountain, I don't think they would draw enough people. Tom Petty is another I'd like to cover, he has a ton of good American classic rock hits, but few tribute bands that I'm aware of. There is a local Tom Petty tribute where I live, but they suck and don't even try to be authentic or develop a similar sound. They are just a hastly thrown together side project from a few members of other bands. I think if done right, a very authentic Tom Petty tribute would be awesome. the trick is finding a singer as ugly as Tom Petty and sounds like him! lol

Old 08-10-2010, 03:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,252,934 times
It would take some balls, but Alice Cooper? Black Sabbath? A/C D/C? Weird Al?

Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM

26,136 posts, read 29,695,606 times
One of the bands with the biggest cult following was The Grateful Dead -but I'm not sure how many cover bands there are out there on them.

Here are some sites with lists of bands with the largest cult followings:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/maxjtotsky/15_bands_with_a_huge_cult_following (broken link)

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-with-c...R3N1F6NEIF358Y

http://www.cult-following.com/page10.htm

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-10-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Mountain is a good one, but unfortunatley I don't think they would have mass appeal.
I think you may be wrong about that. Leslie West and Corky Laing still pack them in when they play live these days. You might be surprised which tribute bands catch crowds as opposed to which catch flies. Some of the most popular bands of their day wouldn't draw a process server for a tribute band to them, and some of the bands who had cult followings at best might pack them in. I've seen it in several places.

If you like the music, go with it. If you pick a tribute band merely on terms of what you may think will pack a club or hall whether or not you like the music, you'll probably learn the hard way that people respond first and foremost to players who believe in what they're doing.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM

26,136 posts, read 29,695,606 times
[quote=WhistlerMCMLV;15418846]I think you may be wrong about that. Leslie West and Corky Laing still pack them in when they play live these days. You might be surprised which tribute bands catch crowds as opposed to which catch flies. Some of the most popular bands of their day wouldn't draw a process server for a tribute band to them, and some of the bands who had cult followings at best might pack them in. I've seen it in several places.

If you like the music, go with it. If you pick a tribute band merely on terms of what you may think will pack a club or hall whether or not you like the music, you'll probably learn the hard way that people respond first and foremost to players who believe in what they're doing.[/quote]

No truer words were spoken. As someone once said to me, "Find something you LOVE to do, do it WELL and the money will follow."

Old 08-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
No truer words were spoken. As someone once said to me, "Find something you LOVE to do, do it WELL and the money will follow."
This may shock people but I've even seen Beatles tribute bands who couldn't attract a tax collector.

And don't get me started on all the Elvis impersonators who think Elvis wasn't even alive before he a) got knee-deep in the lame movies; and/or, b) hit Vegas to stay in 1969, somehow forgetting the famous Singer special on television in 1968 . . . Even if they remember the repertoire that really made Elvis the King in the first place (Elvis died the day he went in the Army.---John Lennon), they garb themselves as though Elvis wasn't Elvis until he was bloated, tacky, couldn't find a thing to wear without three thousand rhinestones or studs on it from the Jimmyjoe Billybob Trailer Park Collection, and if I see one more pair of those God-ugly thick metal-frame sunglasses I'm going to treat Las Vegas to a Kaeopectate milk shake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music