Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times

Advertisements

The 70s and 80s concert experience

2 hours of life changing experience of sight, sound, camaraderie and spirit. A 2 hour show that changed our lives forever. For those of us who felt it, our world of music will forever be ingrained in our hearts and memories. Our current personality some 30 years later reap the harvest of a by-gone era of great great music that had meaning, had heart, had depth.

I suppose everyone cleans out their junk drawers sometimes. Today I was digging deep into the box that held my music souvenirs. Photos, books, autographs and ticket stubs. Among my memorable nostalgic gems were a 4" thick stack of concert tickets wrapped in a ribbon. I saved them all. These wonderful ticket stubs date back to 1976. I will never ever forget my first concert. It was 34 years ago. I saw people smoking pot. People drinking with glass bottles. 50,000 screaming fans were waiting for Genesis to come out. 34 years later I have 540 concert stubs!!!!!

The lights go out. 50,000 lighters are held above our heads, what an awesome site to see. With lights still out Phil Collins starts slamming the skins along with Bruford doing the only duel drum solo in rock. Collins is feeling comfortable and confident in his new role as lead singer as Gabrial parts ways to spend time with his family. Unheard of in the day, the theatrics of Genesis played videos in the background with the mouse figures from the title album "Trick of the Tail". The band goes into a fan favorite:

Squonk
Like father like son
Not flesh nor fish nor bone
A red rag hangs from an open mouth.
Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle,
A-tumbling and a-bumbling he will go.
All the King's horses and all the King's men
Could never put a smile on that face.

2 hours later 50,000 stoned fans waddle out to the streets of NYC. All searching out the many black concert T-shirt vendors so they can show it off in school Monday morning. A $3 train ride back home gave us time to ponder an experience we thought generations ahead of us would enjoy just the same. How wrong we were.

Within months I attended Styx, Cheap Trick, Jethro Tull, Chicago, Frampton, Foreigner, Kansas, Boston, Meatloaf, Renaissance, Foghat, Journey, Eagles, America, CSNY......the list runs much deeper and longer.

For those of us who lived in the generation of that great music, we are blessed.

Would you like to share your concert experience?

YouTube - Genesis live Syria Mosque,Pittsburgh PA 1976,pt 10:Squonk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 PM

What....no body went to concerts back in the day?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 PM

10,995 posts, read 6,860,952 times
OK I'll bite.

Yes, we were blessed

The Beatles (ok so it was the 60's!)
Elvis
Peter, Paul & Mary (several times)
The Bee Gees
Vanilla Fudge
The Young Rascals
Cream
Eric Clapton
Elton John
Jackson Browne
Bonnie Raitt (several times including once with Sippie Wallace),
Little Feat
George Thorogood
Lynard Skynard
The Eurythmics (amazing concert at the Universal)
The Allman Brothers
Bobby Hutcherson (jazz)
Diane Schuur (jazz)
Peter Rowan
Joan Baez (yes 70's)
B.B. King
The David Grisman Quintet
John Denver
Sade
John Stewart (the singer/songwriter/guitarist)
Fairport Convention
Jethro Tull (on his 40th birthday-Irvine Amphitheatre)

Damn. Now I'm nostalgic!

Never got to see Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, The Stones or CSNY.

I didn't really want to see The Stones because my brother went and he said Mick Jagger spit into the audience. Actually that one was the 60's

Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
OK I'll bite.

Yes, we were blessed

The Beatles (ok so it was the 60's!)
Elvis
Peter, Paul & Mary (several times)
The Bee Gees
Vanilla Fudge
The Young Rascals
Cream
Eric Clapton
Elton John
Jackson Browne
Bonnie Raitt (several times including once with Sippie Wallace),
Little Feat
George Thorogood
Lynard Skynard
The Eurythmics (amazing concert at the Universal)
The Allman Brothers
Bobby Hutcherson (jazz)
Diane Schuur (jazz)
Peter Rowan
Joan Baez (yes 70's)
B.B. King
The David Grisman Quintet
John Denver
Sade
John Stewart (the singer/songwriter/guitarist)
Fairport Convention
Jethro Tull (on his 40th birthday-Irvine Amphitheatre)

Damn. Now I'm nostalgic!

Never got to see Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, The Stones or CSNY.

I didn't really want to see The Stones because my brother went and he said Mick Jagger spit into the audience. Actually that one was the 60's
Nice list Pathrunner. Not many have seen Carly Simon. She still to this day has stage fright and never has done a big concert. The rare shows she does is among friends and a few chosen strangers. CSNY I seen quite a few times as well as CSR Crosby, Peevar and Raymond (Crosbys son). What a great band that is but they mostly do benefit shows to raise money for kids in need. I had lunch with David Crosby in 2004. None other then the great Neil Schon of Journey was in the audience unknown to us all. He jumped on the stage and just started jambing. What a freaking night that was.

I also sat with Judy Collins family at a David Crosby and Judy Collins show in 2006. They did separate shows but for the encore they both did Suite Judy Blue Eyes as a duet which of course was written about Colllins by Stephen Stills. What a great song.

Pathrunner I guess just us have good memories of the way it was.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,701 times
I saw the Neville Brothers at the Veiled Prophet Fair in St. Louis in the late 80's back when the fair was an awesome place to see free live music. They were doing the Meters' classic "Fire on the Bayou" as their final song before the 4th of July fireworks got going. I guess they went long and towards the end of the song, Art Neville (as I remember it) cries out "fire" and at that moment fireworks fill up the sky behind them. One of the greatest moments I have ever had at a concert.

Earlier that day, I saw the Marshall Tucker Band at another venue and they did great versions of "24 Hours at a Time" and "Take the Highway" which has always stuck in my mind. An incredible day for live music for this guy.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:38 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
RENAISSANCE(Twice)
BILLY JOEL
KISS
ORLEANS
TODD RUNDGREN(Twice)
GENESIS
JAMES TAYLOR
AEROSMITH
I may have forgotten a few.....LOL...I'll check back. Let me share some RENAISSANCE for those unfamilar with the band>>>>>

YouTube - Renaissance - Running Hard

YouTube - Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall - Can You Understand

YouTube - Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall - Mother Russia

KEEP in mind.....those 3 songs are LIVE not studio versions :-))))

Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,827,347 times
My first concert was Guns-n-Roses opening for Aerosmith at Sandstone in Kansas City in '87 I believe. I've been hooked on live music ever since.
Oddly, as I've grown older I prefer club shows over large venues.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalk528808 View Post
My first concert was Guns-n-Roses opening for Aerosmith at Sandstone in Kansas City in '87 I believe. I've been hooked on live music ever since.
Oddly, as I've grown older I prefer club shows over large venues.
Small intimate concert halls are always better. You feel more a part of the whole experience. I have seen some private shows. Most recently in 2006 I saw The Grass Roots in a room of less then 100 people. This is where I had Rob Grill sign my CD and we shook hands. I also complimented him on his recent work on PBS for the fund raiser. What an awesome CD.

I seen Martha Davis and the Motels in a small party with less then 150 people. As she roamed the audience with mike in hand, she motioned me up, put her hand on my shoulder while singing "Only The Lonely". Our eyes were glued for the 30 seconds or so. Oh man do I like her music, especially Suddenly Last Summer.

And lastly I went to an intimate evening with Carol King. The ticket stub even says just that: "An intimate evening with Carol King" I suspect there were only 200 seats available. In her later years her concerts would prove a bit sour as she spends time between each song pushing her politics. I will never forget the last time I seen her. She was begging us to vote for the Dictator Bush. That useless waste of human flesh. Didn't some one kill him yet? I love her music but will never pay to see her again.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 PM

What??? That's amazing. Maybe it's a result of her living in Idaho all these years. I cannot believe that James Taylor would put aside his own views to tour with her like that.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:37 PM

LAWDY!!! HOW could I have forgotten Bill Monroe, Doc Watson and Stephane Grappelli??? Boys, forgive me, for I have sinned. Amen!

Chilluns, eat yer hearts out. Those were peak experiences let me tell you.

Oh and the Doc concerts were with Merle before he passed away... R.I.P. Merle.

Last edited by pathrunner; 07-05-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music