Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:39 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times

Advertisements

Which kind of music do you like better between hair metal or grunge? Me I much prefer hair metal cause their music was alot of fun and they had alot of cool music videos and the people of the band appeared to be having a good time on the music videos.

Grunge on the other hand is way too depressing and sad for me and I remember feeling really sad that the grunge bands were huge and not the hair metal bands, that was around the time when I've lost interest in the songs that were on the Top 40 during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I prefer grunge to hair metal only because grunge pretty much killed off hair metal. But I was never a fan of either.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
Same here.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default Hair

Hair Metal for sure! I still have a huge metal collection! When those old metal bands tour they sell out arenas here in Vegas. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden sold out in days. Even Ratt, Quiet Riot & Cideralla sold nicely!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Nirvana's Nevermind should received the Nobel Peace Prize, because it was the silver bullet that killed hair metal. It really was amazing to behold. Awful bands whose only contribution to music were hairspray and spandex were literally selling millions of records. Nirvana's Nevermind came out, and those same hair bands went from selling millions to selling nothing, almost overnight.

So whether you like grunge or not, the entire world owes Nirvana a big, "THANK YOU!" for that great service to mankind.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hair Metal for sure! I still have a huge metal collection! When those old metal bands tour they sell out arenas here in Vegas. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden sold out in days. Even Ratt, Quiet Riot & Cideralla sold nicely!
I'm glad to hear that the hair metal bands are still selling out concert arenas and that they're still going strong, it's a shame about what happened with the singer of Quiet Riot passing away.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nirvana's Nevermind should received the Nobel Peace Prize, because it was the silver bullet that killed hair metal. It really was amazing to behold. Awful bands whose only contribution to music were hairspray and spandex were literally selling millions of records. Nirvana's Nevermind came out, and those same hair bands went from selling millions to selling nothing, almost overnight.

So whether you like grunge or not, the entire world owes Nirvana a big, "THANK YOU!" for that great service to mankind.

I know that there was a major change in music ever since Nirvana's "Nevermind" album came out, I know that album has changed the history of rock, I know that people were giving up on the hair metal bands not long before Nirvana's "Nevermind" album came out.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,328 times
Quote:
Nirvana's Nevermind came out, and those same hair bands went from selling millions to selling nothing, almost overnight.
Not my opinion but more of an observation. Could the reason for that have more to do with the kids money from that point going up noses and into blood streams rather than over the counter of record stores??

Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I know that people were giving up on the hair metal bands not long before Nirvana's "Nevermind" album came out.
Grunge killed the hair bands. And it wasn't even a slow strangling. It was a bullet to the head. I remember the days, and I had a friend who managed a record store at the time. Hair metal didn't fade away. It died a sudden and immediate death. (And a long overdue one if you ask me. )

Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Grunge killed the hair bands. And it wasn't even a slow strangling. It was a bullet to the head. I remember the days, and I had a friend who managed a record store at the time. Hair metal didn't fade away. It died a sudden and immediate death. (And a long overdue one if you ask me. )
LOL....LOL...that Nirvana was responsible for 80's metal dying out. Like all of us 80's metal rockers suddenly went to Nirvana and alternative rock.....

Hairband metal actually started with KISS in the mid 70's then came groups like Helix and KIX and even Nazareth's ''No Mean City'' album in the late 70's. Then in 1980 came along Ozzy with ''Blizzard of Oz'' and others followed like Quite Riot and Twisted Sister and Ronnie James Dio and Motley Crue in the early 80's then came groups like RATT in the mid 80's along with others like Cinderella and Poison and Metallica then the late 80's produced groups like Great White and Bullet Boys and Dangerous Toys and Anthrax etc...

2 reasons what really shot it up and then down. First it exploded at the same time Mtv came out (1981) and that was HUGE back then for these groups and secondly national radio shows like Z-ROCK also enhanced these groups but around the late 80's Viacom bought Mtv out and they changed the music format so that had a huge dent on the music scene.

By the way don't tell Iron Maiden and Queensreich that 80's Hairband style is dead as they still produced albums in the 90's and are still touring the last i heard along with Dokken.

So again it started in 1974 with Kiss and made a long run at it. Some say even in the early 70's with Alice Cooper that it started.

The top FM station in Albuquerque here ''94 Rock'' still plays a mostly 80's hairband and 70's hard rock music and is number 1 in Albuquerque and New Mexico as is Rock 105 in Jacksonville Fl as i live in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music