Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best rrrocking country?
Great Britain 8 61.54%
Ireland 0 0%
Germany 0 0%
The Unites States 2 15.38%
Canada 0 0%
Australia 2 15.38%
Other country 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM

631 posts, read 1,067,563 times

Advertisements

Let's choose a best rocking country. A country the best rock musicians came from. As it's the American board, the results won't be a big surprise, but still.

My choice is Great Britain, hands down. All other countries are not even close, alas. Why? The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Deep Purple, Radiohead, Muse. I dig all of them, because they are the top-notch bands. Most of them used to compose the intellectual, sophisticated music of high quality in terms of technique, yet not boring and quite melodic. They all are far beyond compare.

I also suggest to you to make your own top list. My one is:

1. Great Britain (for all musicians I have already mentioned)
2. The United States (for Jimi Hendrix)
3. Ireland (for U2)
4. Germany (for Scorpions)
5. Australia
6. Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,286,230 times
I second your opinion on Great Britain. I also want to add US or "us" and last but not least Australia. The hardest rocking band known to exist comes from there. This has been the hardest rocking band for over 36 years now. AC/DC is the stopping point from very hard rock to metal. Any harder it is metal!

YouTube - AC/DC - For Those About To Rock ORIGINAL VIDEO

Old 09-24-2010, 03:31 PM

23,863 posts, read 71,220,176 times
Sweden.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Sweden.
Does anybody here know any mind-blowing Sweden rock bands, which got it made all over the world?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I second your opinion on Great Britain. I also want to add US or "us" and last but not least Australia. The hardest rocking band known to exist comes from there. This has been the hardest rocking band for over 36 years now. AC/DC is the stopping point from very hard rock to metal. Any harder it is metal!
AC/DC is sure a very famous band, but it seems, it is the only one Australian band, which is very famous all over the world.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,423,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Does anybody here know any mind-blowing Sweden rock bands, which got it made all over the world?
Opeth
Refused
International Noise Conspiracy
In Flames
Meshuggah
Arch Enemy

Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,940,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
AC/DC is sure a very famous band, but it seems, it is the only one Australian band, which is very famous all over the world.
INXS
Little River Band
Split Endz/Crowded House (they're actually New Zealanders )
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Silverchair
Wolfmother

...Just for starters

Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 PM

894 posts, read 2,303,293 times
It's hard, but I chose GB because some of my all time faves have come from there. They gave us the Beatles, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin. My current faves, My Dying Bride, and Paradise Lost among many others. These were right off the top of my head.

The US did give me my all time favorite band; Soundgarden, and others like Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam. For me it's practically a tie between GB and the US with a slight edge to GB.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Opeth
Metal

Quote:
Refused
Punk

Quote:
In Flames
Metal

Quote:
Meshuggah
Metal

Quote:
Arch Enemy
Metal

Your examples (except International Noise Conspiracy) don't even match, because it's not rock. Further, do you really think these metal bands are close to the top-notch bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, or Metallica, when it comes to innovations? I really doubt.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
It's hard, but I chose GB because some of my all time faves have come from there. They gave us the Beatles, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin. My current faves, My Dying Bride, and Paradise Lost among many others. These were right off the top of my head.

The US did give me my all time favorite band; Soundgarden, and others like Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam. For me it's practically a tie between GB and the US with a slight edge to GB.
I assume putting Led Zeppelin and Nirvana in one row is a sacrilege. It's like putting Shakespeare's Hamlet and the Superman comic strip together. Comics sure can be nice, but it's completely another level. Don't take offense though, because it's only my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music