Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

783 posts, read 2,259,206 times

Advertisements

Seriously? How can you not love some Bustah? Even Al Bundy loves rap videos.

Some outa space $#*! like you watchin' star trek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oMQ4ZFdH5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4PFClnMkOU

How many times did I have to sit through that STUPID Whitesnake video waiting for something better?

THE BEST MUSIC VIDEO EVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZqnCTPgEc

Lighten up! It's a music video, not a freakin' academy award contender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
That is it my man! They aren't acting! LOL
True...you raise a good point.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,538,013 times
[quote=Interpol76;16533071]No, modern music videos such as these are highly creative and blow almost everything made in the 80's and 90's out of the water...

We assume you are being facetious.....not to mention the 1960's and 70's......

Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,309,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
True...you raise a good point.
You saw the blood on the mat, right? Wipe all doubts peeps, that is REAL blood! Dana only picks the most badazz tunes for his boys! Here is another one of my all-time favs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcXtKa8IGo

Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM

What does wrestling and fighting have to do with telling a story?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,836,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I mean all they do on the videos is show fancy cars, jewelry, half-naked Women along with bikinis on, flashing money around, showin' big houses and being at Clubs(such as night clubs).

Why not make a video that has substance and story rather than the same thing over and over especially when that song has storytelling.

And speaking of song that has storytelling, back in 2000 I heard this song called "Stranger In My House" by Tamia, which was(is) a good song and I mean very good song which made me by Tamia's album "A Nu Day".

Then when I saw the Music Video for the songs Stranger In My House all the video showed was Tamia showing off her body. I'm like come on Tamia make the video that is part of the song.
It's now all about bling bling and corperate dollars. "Music" left the building back around the 70s/early 80s. In the "old days" talent was discovered...now it is produced and shoved the peeps. throat.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 AM

LOL. In my day we had ONE STATION and we liked it! Cuz it was meeewwwzeeek!

Pop music has always been about money. Always. Even when it was Sinatra and Elvis.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,716,255 times
Quote:
"Music" left the building back around the 70s/early 80s. In the "old days" talent was discovered...now it is produced and shoved the peeps. throat.
I disagree. I think its a generational gap. It is true that Rap music often does not feature live instrumentation but the focus of rap music has always been to words, lyrics and poetry. What Rap music did for me and my generation was expose the struggles of daily life in the neglected inner city neighborhoods of America. Rap music arose from the deterioration of White flight abandoned inner city ghettos, the ugly inequalities of Reaganomics and the bloody civil war of the Crack Epidemic.

If anything Rap music was a testament to the ever widening gap between rich & poor and White & Black that has been growing steadily over the last 30 or so years which continues to this day. Hip Hop is based in a culture of poverty. Rap music never traditionally used instruments because broke kids from projects in the Bronx to Oakland couldn't afford guitars, saxophones and drum sets let alone groceries every week. All they had were Mom & Dad's old jazz and soul records and their mouths and lifelong experiences with hardship. Great struggle creates great art. These dead-end kids were deprived of everything in forgotten third world American ghettos but still managed to create art that the whole world would quickly appreciate. Ultimately, Rap music gave a voice to the voiceless.

Rap music resonated with kids across the globe because the poetry in the music spoke about universal experiences of everyday life beyond the ghetto as well. If Rap Music were truly "trash", like a lot of old mostly White folks like to say, then why is it that people from Inglewood to Germany to Japan all listen to Rap music? Rap music has been the most popular genre of music in the world since at least the 90's.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 11-05-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 02:53 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,309,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
What does wrestling and fighting have to do with telling a story?
Some of these tunes are on the soundtrack. You get to see a glimpse of the movie in the process. Call me weird, but I find them more interesting than watching some skank hump-dance all over some gangsta. Keep your money, hoes, bling-bling, crib and whatever else outta REAL tough guy videos! LOL Just listen to them...... if you are going to rap about weapons, at least use the correct terminology and know WTF you are talking about! The rest of us know..... we always know!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I disagree. I think its a generational gap. It is true that Rap music often does not feature live instrumentation but the focus of rap music has always been to words, lyrics and poetry. What Rap music did for me and my generation was expose the struggles of daily life in the neglected inner city neighborhoods of America. Rap music arose from the deterioration of White flight abandoned inner city ghettos, the ugly inequalities of Reaganomics and the bloody civil war of the Crack Epidemic.

If anything Rap music was a testament to the ever widening gap between rich & poor and White & Black that has been growing steadily over the last 30 or so years which continues to this day. Hip Hop is based in a culture of poverty. Rap music never traditionally used instruments because broke kids from projects in the Bronx to Oakland couldn't afford guitars, saxophones and drum sets let alone groceries every week. All they had were Mom & Dad's old jazz and soul records and their mouths and lifelong experiences with hardship. Great struggle creates great art. These dead-end kids were deprived of everything in forgotten third world American ghettos but still managed to create art that the whole world would quickly appreciate. Ultimately, Rap music gave a voice to the voiceless.

Rap music resonated with kids across the globe because the poetry in the music spoke about universal experiences of everyday life beyond the ghetto as well. If Rap Music were truly "trash", like a lot of old mostly White folks like to say, then why is it that people from Inglewood to Germany to Japan all listen to Rap music? Rap music has been the most popular genre of music in the world since at least the 90's.
Well said and perfect examples of what powerful hip hop can do.

There is definitely nihilist, cynical, mysoginistic tones in the hip hop I have listened to. A lot gets focused on the negativity, but it's truly art imitating life. I hear fear in hip hop. I hear sorrow. I see much of the posturing with money, women, guns, etc. as making light of their struggle, in a way. I think that, over time, the repeated use of these themes and motifs by so many popular hip hop artists has painted a disingenuous caricature of inner-city struggle. I guess you could say I prefer the old school, nascent days of hip hop. The message was more poignant back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music