Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,381,341 times

Advertisements

Most rap listeners 2day always be like that if a rapper don't have so much money then they call that rapper a "fake".

While they call other rappers with so much money "REAL".

Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
at the same time, when a rapper reach a certain status they are considered "pop"... its stupid to me.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM

19,578 posts, read 20,016,492 times
Well, see most younger "rap listeners" did not have the privilege of growing up with 80's and 90's hip hop. If they did, they wouldn't be so F***ING stupid.

And a lot of mainstream "rappers" today just see the music industry as something they can bank on. Which is also F***ING stupid because A) they don't realize the power their words carry and the influence they have on younger generations B) they don't even care, which is worse.

This is why today's music has no "soul". Cuz they SOLD OUT!

It is merely reflective of the problem in which society is being overtaken by: Corporate American Greed.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 AM

11,132 posts, read 10,895,301 times
"Fake". "Real". Who cares? Very few people will care or remember 90% of them in 10 years from now.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM

711 posts, read 1,137,486 times
Mainstream rap is made to appeal to folks who listen to the radio, folks who like pop music. These would be artists like Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane & Soulja Boy. Although there is some good mainstream rap (like Eminem, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, & Outkast) I mostly don't listen to it, because it is usually "dumbed down" (created using small words that teenagers and children can understand instead of pushing the boundaries of lyricism) and the beats sound like pop artist beats. By mainstream I mean the fake generic hip-hop nowadays where the lyrics have no meaning and each song can be categorized in to a handful of topics. Repeated chorus about getting money or some dance bullsh*t. It's the worst music on the planet. Drake is mediocre at best. However Gucci Mane, Shawty Lo, Gorilla Zoe, OJ Da Juiceman, etc. all suck. They offer nothing new and they beat a dead horse. The beats all sound identical and generic.

Underground & old school hip hop is my favorite type of music. It usually has better lyricism than mainstream rap, and the lyrics aren't "dumbed down". The beats are usually more creative, making more use of samples and less use of synthesizers and other pop music elements. To some rap fans, this is what is considered "real hip hop" because it's just hip hop, not a combination of hip hop and pop.

Personally, I see mainstream rap as sound, and underground rap & old school hip hop as art. But that's just my opinion.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 PM

48 posts, read 108,635 times
Well, because they are superficial they will listen to these guys who are. The types who swear gucci mane, soulja boy and wacka flocka are the best are the types who are always "I make my paper, got my bread game". 6 or 7 times out of 10, from what I see these are guys who dont really make the best kind of grades (young ones I mean), don't have much ambition. Its all about money for them, and they want to be able to relate.

I was born in 1993, but I keep it real and love 2pac, nas, AZ, Lupe fiasco, mos def, jay-z, immortal technique, fort minor, common, the roots, and a tad bit of big l.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,700,268 times
Quote:
Most rap listeners 2day always be like that if a rapper don't have so much money then they call that rapper a "fake".

What is funny is that the average rapper on TV and the radio is broke. Bun B who has been in the rap game since the late 80's even stated that there is no such thing as a rich rapper. The only rich rappers out there like 50 Cent, Diddy and Jay-Z made all their money from selling their clothing and other business ventures. Most, if not all, rappers on TV are signed to major record labels that rape them financially. The average new recording artist on makes 10% of all the money he earns selling albums or songs on itunes. The only way mainstream rappers signed to major labels can make money is if they tour and do shows relentlessly. Even then, rappers still have to pay record companies their advance money back.

Your Favorite Rapper is Poor: One-Hit Wonder Edition - Refined Hype

INTERVIEW: Bun B - "There Are No Rich Rappers" - DJ COTTON HERE!!!!!!!

RIAA Accounting: Why Even Major Label Musicians Rarely Make Money From Album Sales | Techdirt

Ultimately, kids today are brainwashed to think a certain way. They see videos with young Black males driving the most expensive exotic cars, wearing crazy jewelry amongst stunning above average beautiful scantily clad women. All of this is life affirming for young poor minorities. They think I can be "rich" one day like Lil Wayne or Soulja Boy.

Hip Hop music will never die. I was born in the Bay and our music was never mainstream. But the music produced by the ghettos of San Francisco, Oakland, Vallejo and East Palo Alto spoke about how life was in the hood. That is what made our music real. It didn't matter that our rappers weren't on national TV every hour of everyday throwing around money with rented cars, girls and jewelry. Many people from other parts of the country, most notably the East Coast, do not respect Bay Area Hip Hop because they haven't heard most of it since our music always lacked the national distribution that comes with being signed to a major record label. The crazy part about is that many legendary independent rappers in the Bay get every single penny from the music they sell and they still get respect in the hood.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,700,268 times
Quote:

What is funny is that the average rapper on TV and the radio is broke. Bun B who has been in the rap game since the late 80's even stated that there is no such thing as a rich rapper. The only rich rappers out there like 50 Cent, Diddy and Jay-Z made all their money from selling their clothing and other business ventures. Most, if not all, rappers on TV are signed to major record labels that rape them financially. The average new recording artist on makes 10% of all the money he earns selling albums or songs on itunes. The only way mainstream rappers signed to major labels can make money is if they tour and do shows relentlessly. Even then, rappers still have to pay record companies their advance money back.

Your Favorite Rapper is Poor: One-Hit Wonder Edition - Refined Hype

INTERVIEW: Bun B - "There Are No Rich Rappers" - DJ COTTON HERE!!!!!!!

RIAA Accounting: Why Even Major Label Musicians Rarely Make Money From Album Sales | Techdirt

Ultimately, kids today are brainwashed to think a certain way. They see videos with young Black males driving the most expensive exotic cars, wearing crazy jewelry amongst stunning above average beautiful scantily clad women. All of this is life affirming for young poor minorities. They think I can be "rich" one day like Lil Wayne or Soulja Boy.

Hip Hop music will never die. I was born in the Bay and our music was never mainstream. But the music produced by the ghettos of San Francisco, Oakland, Vallejo and East Palo Alto spoke about how life was in the hood. That is what made our music real. It didn't matter that our rappers weren't on national TV every hour of everyday throwing around money with rented cars, girls and jewelry. Many people from other parts of the country, most notably the East Coast, do not respect Bay Area Hip Hop because they haven't heard most of it since our music always lacked the national distribution that comes with being signed to a major record label. The crazy part about is that many legendary independent rappers in the Bay get every single penny from the music they sell and they still get respect in the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.