Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
vapid, soulless, trite, and tacky.
Amen to that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Oh my gosh guys thank you for all the videos! I looove the hairbands and so many people hate them. I don't know why either!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,554 times
I loved them because I was just a kid and I grew up on that music. When I first started listening to the radio you either got a choice of New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice (YUCK!!!) or Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue, etc. No self respecting kid I went to school with, listened to anything else. That was just the sign of the times. Seriously, what was a 12 year old supposed to listen to? Where I grew up, we didn't have many options back then. To my knowledge and memory, we had 2 or 3 rock stations, 1 country station and 1 pop/rap station. I don't regret the music. But seriously, what were they thinking when they applied all of that make up?! Gross.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,628,511 times
My problem with the music today is that it has turned novelty again. I know a bunch of people who hated it back then (including family members who are oldre than me) love it now because it is so cool to love the 80s.

There are also teenagers out there who weren't even born yet who love Bret Michaels because of Rock of Love. And they never knew his music.

A family friend who is now 24 loved Bon Jovi but never heard "Living on a Prayer."

It's just looking like a joke to me.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
Hair bands came out of the Glam Metal genre of music which started in England and evolved in America.

It mixed hard rock and metal, with jamming extended solo guitar riffs, loudness, distortion and amazing showmanship.

Bands like Van Halen revolutionised a certain way of playing guitar that is still copied to this day.

I love glam metal, hard rock, heavy metal, prog rock etc. I appreciate the music and the evolution of sounds.

Plus I grew up in the 80s so much of the music invokes memories of good times.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,747 times
Hair bands of the 80's were a large contributor to ozone depletion, due to the heavy use of Aqua Net hairspray.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:20 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
The popularity of hair bands coincided with MTV. There was a marked difference in the kinds of groups that could get signed pre-MTV and those who got signed after. We define those new bands is based on their appearance, but their music was also more danceable than typical rock bands pre-MTV. The down side was dance music can't be too complex, The upside is it was boon for rock cover bands. Finally you didn't have to play like Hendrix, Santana, Page or Clapton to be in a band. I wonder if this trend forced many would be rock guitar virtuosos into a re-emergence of Blues Based rock and instrumental rock via Satriani

Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
I prefer those bands that was big in the first half of the eighties.
It started to change around 1987 or 1988 when we were flooded with poppy power ballad bands and even poppier acoustic power ballads.
It is sometimes said that grunge killed metal,but I think they did fine on there own with those bands.
If they even should be counted as metal....
Also it seems like every hard rock band of the eighties with a little colour in their clothes counts as hair metal which I don´t agree with.
Some (like Mötley Crüe and Twisted Sister) is just regular heavy metal to me,although more melodic at times.
They should definitely not be put in the same category as White Lion and such bands.
In my opinion hair metal has always been a derogatory term for the aforementioned power ballad bands.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,628,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
My problem with the music today is that it has turned novelty again. I know a bunch of people who hated it back then (including family members who are oldre than me) love it now because it is so cool to love the 80s.

There are also teenagers out there who weren't even born yet who love Bret Michaels because of Rock of Love. And they never knew his music.

A family friend who is now 24 loved Bon Jovi but never heard "Living on a Prayer."

It's just looking like a joke to me.
Clarifying what I mean. "My problem with the music today": referring to the new music being put out by the old hair bands.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:14 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,406 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NozSL...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RHEN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJjI...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music