Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,409,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
One thing to keep in mind, too, is that you often (generally?) find black and white women in popular music singing different types of music. That could affect your opinion of which racial group of women on the whole "have better voices."

I get sick of the fact that it seems like every white female singer who gets any airplay these days seems to think she needs to hit like thirty notes for every word she holds in a song. "I wa-A-a-A-A-AAA-aaaaAaAaAaAaaaaa-a-a-a-a-aaaaaaaaaant you-oo-oo-OO-OOOO-ooo-ooo-oooooooooooooo... so bad." How about you fill up some of that airtime with some words? That have meaning? Thanks, ladies.

I blame the record companies.
Hahahaha exactly what the hell is that about? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,608,743 times
It's neither. Better singing is based on individuality...not race.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,878,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hahahaha exactly what the hell is that about? LOL
You know, when you're watching some girl with bleached-blonde hair performing, and she's in front of the mic, and she gets this pained look on her face like she just got nailed in the ovaries? Then, she holds her right hand up in the air like she's going "hold on a sec," and proceeds to place way-the-hell-too-much emphasis on like three words? So she holds a syllable for ten seconds and keeps doing all sorts of crazy note/octave/pitch changes... it's like the ultimate fail at trying to be Whitney Houston.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,680,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
FYI, this is a ridiculous statement considering that according to Billboard, 70-80 percent of hip-hop music consumers ($$$) are suburban White teens and adolescents.

Also, It is not necessary to bash an entire music genre simply because it is not your personal taste.
And you're going to side with the popular opinions of young uneducated youth who's life on the streets are more important then education? The same demographic group that purchases the vast majority of CDs? That is hardly a fair gauge for choosing good or bad. I know almost no over 40 person who purchases CDs or listens to that modern hippity hoppity or wrap nonsense. That word urban also speaks volumes on that audience.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,452,930 times
If you go by % I would say yes. You will find more singing tallent in an all black school than an all white school as far as women with natural ability to sing without training or coaching.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:42 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentoo
One cannot use today's "artist" as a yard stick as people like Katy Perry, Kesha and others like them are more brands of the record companies than they are artist.
Both Katy Perry and Kesha write/co-write their own music, in addition to writing tracks for others like Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson. They both can play their own instruments. Practically the definition of an artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissy
Most hip hop now is basically Pop marketed to black people. Back then, hip hop was REAL music.
If you base it off someone like Nicki Minaj, than yes it borderlines Pop. But Nicki Minaj isn't someone I call Hip Hop either. Black Eyed Peas aren't Hip Hop...

Examples of Pop vs Hip Hop (current radio hits from both genres):
Lady Gaga's Born This Way vs Ace Hood's Hustle Hard.... youtube it. huge difference.

Also, realize music extends past Top 40 radio stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I know almost no over 40 person who purchases CDs or listens to that modern hippity hoppity or wrap nonsense. That word urban also speaks volumes on that audience.
Speak for yourself. My mother and father both have purchased/listen to modern pop/r&b/country albums (both over their 40s). I have co-workers over 40s that do the same. Just saying.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,878,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Most hip hop now is basically Pop marketed to black people. Back then, hip hop was REAL music.
Yeah, once upon a time, hip hop was stuff like Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, The Furious Five, etc. Then, it was the "new school," like Dr. Dre, Eazy E, Snoop, Warren G, etc. Even in the late 90's, when hip hop started to become markedly more commercialized, there was some awesome stuff coming out by Busta Rhymes, Wu Tang Clan, etc.

Now, there is still good stuff coming out, but so much of it is hypercommercialized that it's not even funny. Rock had the 80's, and hip hop has had the last decade but it's still going strong, sadly. Formulaic, "OG thugs" like 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, etc. who basically just talk about how much money they have and have really torrid, uninteresting beats... no flow... no thanks.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,479,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

If you base it off someone like Nicki Minaj, than yes it borderlines Pop. But Nicki Minaj isn't someone I call Hip Hop either. Black Eyed Peas aren't Hip Hop...

Examples of Pop vs Hip Hop (current radio hits from both genres):
Lady Gaga's Born This Way vs Ace Hood's Hustle Hard.... youtube it. huge difference.

Also, realize music extends past Top 40 radio stations.

Again, most hip hop out now is pop marketed towards black people. I am not talking about the underground people, who I do know of, thankyouverymuch. I know what pop is, I know what passes for hip hop. Maybe YOU don't know the difference. Heck, I don't even like Nicki! I am always talking crap about her and Drake and the likes.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,409,722 times
Quote:
Both Katy Perry and Kesha write/co-write their own music, in addition to writing tracks for others like Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson. They both can play their own instruments. Practically the definition of an artist.
They're still brands for the record companies regardless of whatever talent we don't get to see from them. Why would talented artist choose to autotune their voices? Katy Perry for example actually can sing quite well. We never hear it because her "brand" requires her to cater to the dumbest common denominator.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
They're still brands for the record companies regardless of whatever talent we don't get to see from them. Why would talented artist choose to autotune their voices? Katy Perry for example actually can sing quite well. We never hear it because her "brand" requires her to cater to the dumbest common denominator.
Autotune is used for effect, not as a brand. Kesha creates Dance Pop music and Autotune fits the genre just fine. The same company doesn't represent all the artists that use Autotune. Again, both of these two artist write/co-write their OWN MUSIC. Record companies are NOT writing their music for them to sing.

Since Peter Frampton, for instance, used Talk Box, does that make him just a "brand" too since he was pretending to play a solo with his mouth to the "dumbest common denominator".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy
Again, most hip hop out now is pop marketed towards black people. I am not talking about the underground people, who I do know of, thankyouverymuch. I know what pop is, I know what passes for hip hop. Maybe YOU don't know the difference. Heck, I don't even like Nicki! I am always talking crap about her and Drake and the likes.
Far from it. Hip Hop hasn't really changed all that much. Travis Porter, New Boyz, etc are just new versions of Quad City DJs, Tag Team, etc. It is all Dance Hip Hop. G-Unit are really just new versions of NWA members. All they do is rap about being an OG. Jeremih, Trey Songs, etc are just new versions of R-Kelly. R&B singers influsing Hip Hop influences in order to attract the masses.

Just because Hip Hop artists like B.O.B., Lupe, Kanye, and Wiz (for instance) are mainstream doesn't make them Pop stars.

Again, compare a true pop star to these hip hop artists and you will see very distinct differences in the music like the example I posted earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music