Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,121,207 times

Advertisements

My favorite Genre is Blues rock they're isn't that many women in that genre.

But I love Susan Tedechi

YouTube - Susan Tedeschi on Austin City Limits

and Erika Wennerstrom of the "heartless Bastards"

YouTube - Heartless Bastards *Nothing Seems the Same* Stubbs SXSW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,960,642 times
IMHO...Yes. Some white singers perform R&B pretty good, but they mimic the sound of black women. I believe the reason you don't see many black women making it into the finals of Idol is because white, Asian and Latino women duplicate the sound of black women because there are usually more white finalists there are more of them that make the finals and ultimately win. Most of the time there are 6-7 white women and one, maybe two black women who make the finals. It's a numbers game with more white duplicating the soulful R&B sound than black women. Bottom line...the better odds are in the white women favor.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Do you believe one reason why most african american females singers dont hit it big is due to the way that mainstream America dont find african american females attractive?

What? IMHO, black women are the most beautiful women on earth. Anyway, I believe black women don't hit it big on Idol is due to marketing, promotion and recording companies having the desire to promote white females because they know that from a promotion, marketing and profit standpoint they make more money from white woman than black women; because that's the (white) American public wants and will support. The 5th Avenue folks know that they can sell more records, perfume, etc., from a white Idol winner that with straight blond hair than a beautiful curly Afro. Afterall, how many black faces other than Oprah and Michael Jackson have you seen on the covers of magazines such as US, People, Entertainment Weekly, etc? Also, take a look at the careers of white idol winners and see how much fame and fortune they've gone on to and compare their careers to those of the few black Idol winners. A big difference.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-11-2011 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,462,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
IMHO...Yes. Some white singers perform R&B pretty good, but they mimic the sound of black women. I believe the reason you don't see many black women making it into the finals of Idol is because white, Asian and Latino women duplicate the sound of black women because there are usually more white finalists there are more of them that make the finals and ultimately win. Most of the time there are 6-7 white women and one, maybe two black women who make the finals. It's a numbers game with more white duplicating the soulful R&B sound than black women. Bottom line...the better odds are in the white women favor.
That made me chuckle. What does Black women sound like?

Where are those "black" unseen females now from American Idol... nowhere in the industry. Just like the white, asian, latino, etc ones. The ones that were good enough made the show i.e. Jennifer Hudson and got a career from it. The white ones that were good enough made the show i.e. Carrie Underwood and got a career from it. Seriously... American Idol puts people in the Top so many only if they A) have some sort of talent and B) that they have a story. See Stefano for instance dude can carry a tune (not any close to the best) but his story is he got wrecked and destroyed in a car accident and was able to overcome it and walked again. And sometimes C) that they are unique. In addition, I have seen Idol turned away good white and black singers i.e. Jacee this season.

But again, it doesn't matter black, white, or whatever race. It should be based on the music. Based on that fact, we have seen plenty of good female singers of all races.

On your other comment, thats why Beyonce and Nicki Minaj have been two of the hottest acts in Pop music today. Alot of pop music today is dominated by other races than White. For every Gaga, there is Drake. For every Ke$ha, there is Black Eyed Peas. Why do people still think their race is being hated on... Again our President is BLACK.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
That made me chuckle. What does Black women sound like?

Where are those "black" unseen females now from American Idol... nowhere in the industry. Just like the white, asian, latino, etc ones. The ones that were good enough made the show i.e. Jennifer Hudson and got a career from it. The white ones that were good enough made the show i.e. Carrie Underwood and got a career from it. Seriously... American Idol puts people in the Top so many only if they A) have some sort of talent and B) that they have a story. See Stefano for instance dude can carry a tune (not any close to the best) but his story is he got wrecked and destroyed in a car accident and was able to overcome it and walked again. And sometimes C) that they are unique. In addition, I have seen Idol turned away good white and black singers i.e. Jacee this season.

But again, it doesn't matter black, white, or whatever race. It should be based on the music. Based on that fact, we have seen plenty of good female singers of all races.

On your other comment, thats why Beyonce and Nicki Minaj have been two of the hottest acts in Pop music today. Alot of pop music today is dominated by other races than White. For every Gaga, there is Drake. For every Ke$ha, there is Black Eyed Peas. Why do people still think their race is being hated on... Again our President is BLACK.
So you're saying racism doesn't exist in the entertainment industry or America at large because we have a black president?

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-11-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 PM

10,262 posts, read 16,003,083 times
You are wrong.

Whitney Houston and Vanessa Williams in MY opinion are the only black female singers who can compare with Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Martina McBride, Sara Evans, Patty Loveless, Reba McEntire, Lady Antebellum, Kellie Pickler, Michelle Branch, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Trisha Yearwood, Miranda Lambert, or Sugarland.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,462,083 times
Quote:
So you're saying racism doesn't exist in the entertainment industry or America at large because we have a black president?
Pretty much. Top 10 currently on Billboard Top 100... 5 of them are black (Rihanna, Black Eyed Peas, Cee Lo Green, Chris Brown, Jeremih) and 1 is Latino (J-Lo). Far from saying the industry is racist.

Going into the next 11-20 on Billboard Top 100... 4 are black (Nicki Minaj, Wiz Khalifa, Tinie Tempah, Dr Dre) and 3 are Latino (Bruno Mars, Enrique Iglesias, Pitbull). Again, Far from saying the industry is racist.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Pretty much. Top 10 currently on Billboard Top 100... 5 of them are black (Rihanna, Black Eyed Peas, Cee Lo Green, Chris Brown, Jeremih) and 1 is Puerto Rican (J-Lo). Far from saying the industry is racist.
So what, there were black artists in the top 10 billboard in the 40's, 50's, 60's., etc. Wake up...racism has always existed in the entertainment industry and always will. Done.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,467,804 times
Quote:
What? IMHO, black women are the most beautiful women on earth. Anyway, I believe black women don't hit it big on Idol is due to marketing, promotion and recording companies having the desire to promote white females because they know that from a promotion, marketing and profit standpoint they make more money from white woman than black women; because that's the (white) American public wants and will support. The 5th Avenue folks know that they can sell more records, perfume, etc., from a white Idol winner that with straight blond hair than a beautiful curly Afro. Afterall, how many black faces other than Oprah and Michael Jackson have you seen on the covers of magazines such as US, People, Entertainment Weekly, etc? Also, take a look at the careers of white idol winners and see how much fame and fortune they've gone on to and compare their careers to those of the few black Idol winners. A big difference.
Yep.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM

664 posts, read 858,693 times
i love Black singers. the way many of them use their voices is just amazing to me. i like some white singers too. i love Celine Dion. there are more, but i can't think of their names right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music